Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 24, 2024, 07:10:40 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Donate

We Appreciate Your Support

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 1690474
  • Total Topics: 118333
  • Online Today: 732
  • Online Ever: 2235
  • (October 29, 2023, 01:32:45 AM)
Users Online

Recent

Author Topic: Price of Glory Rules  (Read 7408 times)

Offline Stecal

• Scientist
    • Pictures of my minis
Price of Glory Rules
« on: March 21, 2007, 02:39:31 AM »
I picked up these WW1 skirmish rules at Cold Wars and after a quick read thru I am eager to try a game with them.  They are much better written and full fleshed compared to the bare-bones, almost krieg spiel CLA.  I know that others here have raved about the Iron Ivan rules and now I know what they were going on about.
Clear the battlefield and let me see
All the profit from our victory.

Offline Lowtardog

• Galactic Brain
Price of Glory Rules
« Reply #1 on: March 21, 2007, 08:13:56 AM »
A nice small action set of rules (a bit old school) is Kaiser Bosche which has small ten man units around 5-10 a side plus the odd mortar and HMG or artillery piece. Very good for late war games

Offline Phil Robinson

• Scatterbrained Genius
    • http://newsfromthefront-phil.blogspot.com/
Price of Glory Rules
« Reply #2 on: March 21, 2007, 07:49:45 PM »
Having heard only good things about Disposable Heroes I pre ordered a set of P of G to try. I will post a report as soon as I have tried them out. Although I am quite happy with Trench Wars which I have been using with squad level modifications.

Offline Overlord

• Scatterbrained Genius
  • Top Geezer
    • The Sweeney
Price of Glory Rules
« Reply #3 on: March 21, 2007, 08:47:46 PM »
Quote from: "Lowtardog"
A nice small action set of rules (a bit old school) is Kaiser Bosche which has small ten man units around 5-10 a side plus the odd mortar and HMG or artillery piece. Very good for late war games

These are a great little set of rules that have provided many a good game.  I particularly like the way units have to get stuck in fairly quickly without a lot of messing around.  Although, just occasionally, the random deployment of some uinits can be a bit disconcerting!
2024 Lead Tally: Acq: 013 Ptd: 055  Total: +042
2023 Lead Tally: Acq: 560 Ptd: 056  Total: -504
2009-22 Tally:  Acq: 3293 Ptd: 905  Total: -2388

Offline Le matou rouge

• Mad Scientist
Price of Glory Rules
« Reply #4 on: March 21, 2007, 10:10:59 PM »
Quote from: "Phil Robinson"
Having heard only good things about Disposable Heroes I pre ordered a set of P of G to try. I will post a report as soon as I have tried them out. Although I am quite happy with Trench Wars which I have been using with squad level modifications.

I'm longinig to read it

meow,
Matt
We are the Village Green Preservation Society
We are the Sherlock Holmes English Speaking Vernacular
Help save Fu Manchu, Moriarty and Dracula
Ray Davies

Offline Phil Robinson

• Scatterbrained Genius
Price of Glory Rules
« Reply #5 on: April 13, 2007, 06:04:51 PM »
I have received my set, after reading through several times they look quite promising, They also look siutable for Back of beyond games as well.

Do not know when I will be able to try them out as we are busy with the Sudan terrain for our display at Partizan at the moment.

Offline Grimm

• Two-time LPL Champion (Season 2 and 3) Supporting Adventurer
  • The Colonial Tales Winner
  • Scatterbrained Genius
    • Grimms-Hangar on Facebook
Price of Glory Rules
« Reply #6 on: April 13, 2007, 09:53:17 PM »
get my today  :mrgreen: looks good  :love:
ttps://www.facebook.com/pages/Grimms-Hangar/196455560521708

Offline Doctor Merkury

• Librarian
  • A better world through Alchemy, Science, and Lead
    • Doctor Merkury's Lab
Tried a game using Price of GLory for Back of Beyond
« Reply #7 on: April 18, 2007, 09:12:57 PM »
Tried a game using Price of Glory for Back of Beyond last week and it was a lot of fun.  Still need to twek the Army Lists, but it was much better IMHO than Chris Peer's CLA rules.  I played the Mad Baron against a Chinese Warlord.

Doc
"They called me mad at the University..."

Offline Stecal

• Scientist
    • Pictures of my minis
Price of Glory Rules
« Reply #8 on: April 20, 2007, 04:58:31 PM »
The only thing I thought the rules might be missing is a negative modifiier for small arms shooting over 1/2 range.  At least a -1 on a d10.  

The double range rule that only hits on a 1 is to represent area harrassment fire with rifles and not any sort of aimed shot.  (This must be why my 1938 Mauser has a 2000 meter fold up rear sight, but no one would ever reasonably try an aimed  shot over 300 meters.)

Offline Poliorketes

• King of the Congo
  • Scatterbrained Genius
  • Never look back
Price of Glory Rules
« Reply #9 on: May 02, 2007, 10:28:45 AM »
With PoG at hand, I'm painting up my Aussies at last, soon to be followed by some Germans. Or Baluchis. Have to think about that.
If you come for the king, you better not miss (Omar)

Offline Plynkes

• The Royal Bastard
  • Elder God
  • I killed Mufasa!
    • http://misterplynkes.blogspot.com/
Price of Glory Rules
« Reply #10 on: May 02, 2007, 10:48:39 AM »
We seem to be forming quite a little PoG Lead Adventure gang. I have this set now too, and am planning to try it out for a 1914 Western Front campaign. If that goes well then I'm packing my bags for Palestine.

Joined the Yahoo Group yesterday (Grrr, I hate Yahoo Groups to pieces!) and was pleased to see that my membership was approved almost immediately (no waiting for days to get in). Hopefully that bodes well for the Iron Ivan chaps supporting the group, as I have a ton of questions for them about these rules.
With Cat-Like Tread
Upon our prey we steal...

Offline PeteMurray

• Parapsychologist
  • Scatterbrained Genius
  • Cardinal Murray
Price of Glory Rules
« Reply #11 on: May 02, 2007, 01:29:39 PM »
I'm thinking about getting them and some of the Chris Peers army lists (I love army lists) because they're supposed to be suitable for between-the-wars stuff as well.

I'll probably hold off until July and pick them up at Historicon. In the meantime, I hope everyone else will post lots of battle reports.

Offline Phil Robinson

• Scatterbrained Genius
Price of Glory Rules
« Reply #12 on: May 06, 2007, 12:34:18 AM »
Played a game with PoG on Wednesday, the scenario had a German assault force during the 1918 Spring Offensives attempting to take and hold a crossing over a stream in the British rear area. The German force consisted of an assault section of 6 men equipped with rifles and grenades, a section of 5 men armed with SMG’S, a LMG team and a flamethrower team. The defending Brits were a hastily assembled force of one LMG team and a rifle section, the LMG team was placed in some hastily dug trenches whilst the rifle section held a farmhouse on the opposite bank of the stream.

The Germans made excellent use of the dead ground to advance upon the LMG team when the SMG section game into view it immediately came under fire from the Lewis gun losing both its NCOs in the process, the Germans excellent training came to the fore as they were unperturbed by this (Dave needed and got a 1 on a D10 to pass its morale check) In the mean time the flamethrower team worked its way round the other flank firing and causing the LMG team to become suppressed in the subsequent turn they were charged by the SMG team and wiped out. The rifle section in the house where meanwhile being kept in check by the German LMG team. We decided that they would be unable to hold the Germans so stopped at that point to discuss the rules.

What do I think? Thought at first that they were a little fussy, being used to Trench Wars and CLA, but on reflection later when a little less tired they did look quite straight forward, a few more games under our belt may enforce this view. Things I did like were only being able to fire with half the figures in the unit and the dips and folds rule. Things I didn’t like, having to use counters (although I suppose these could be replaced with something more aesthetically pleasing).

Did not use artillery or tanks but the mechanisms for these look quite straight forward.

Would I recommend them? Yes, plenty of ideas to adapt or modify to suit other rules you may favour even if you don’t use these.