Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 28, 2024, 02:41:19 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Donate

We Appreciate Your Support

Recent

Author Topic: The Empire Strikes First-The War in Ithilien escalates  (Read 1850 times)

Offline Wilgut Spleens

• Scientist
    • The Miniature World of Wilgut Spleens
The Empire Strikes First-The War in Ithilien escalates
« on: July 23, 2020, 01:33:20 PM »
More from the conflict in Ithilien.This is the biggest batle I have played with the SBG ME BC rules, 1350 points per side and took the best part of two days to play. Blogger had some issues with my post so its not perfect. I hope you guys like it.
https://wilgut.blogspot.com/?fbclid=IwAR1Wxym4KaGlfxDe-t26hVxoRayeoV9_ijQKzgXEFjAXR5FYzq7l1qP0Rro
« Last Edit: July 23, 2020, 02:15:58 PM by Wilgut Spleens »
I have a bad case of prescient nostalgia. The future's not what it used to be.

https://wilgut.blogspot.com/

Offline Red Orc

• Scatterbrained Genius
  • Baffled but happy
    • My new VSF blog:
Re: The Empire Strikes First-The War in Ithilien escalates
« Reply #1 on: July 23, 2020, 05:21:41 PM »
An awesome and epic battle!

I keep looking at my LotR minis, and sighing, and putting them back in the box.

You have inspired me at the very least to get them out and sigh at them again!

Offline Wilgut Spleens

• Scientist
« Reply #2 on: July 23, 2020, 07:20:49 PM »
hehehe very kind words, thank you. I often inspire sighs from my off spring

Go on, get em out, you know you want to

Offline Neunfinger

• Scientist
« Reply #3 on: July 23, 2020, 07:54:01 PM »
Lovely battle report, it was a joy to read. I also love your use of historical minis for the Lord of the Rings.

Offline Wilgut Spleens

• Scientist
« Reply #4 on: July 23, 2020, 09:55:37 PM »
Lovely battle report, it was a joy to read. I also love your use of historical minis for the Lord of the Rings.

Thanks mate, its great to get such positive comments. Although I use historical minis I do try to make them a bit Middlearthy, its an important concept for me that Middle earth is not Earth. For example the warriors of Lamedon are mostly Gripping Beast Dark Ages Infantry but with Saxon helmets that I have filed down and then built up with green stuff to crreate a different style. Like wise the shields while having a pattern that obeys the rules of Celtic Knots are designed to not be like any known historical shield pattern and they are all individual as each warrior has his own unique pattern. The Easterlings are a real mix up!

I like the stuff you are doing yourself with historical minis for the Witcher , that is a great idea, and beautifuly done. How are  you finding the Oathmark rules? I have read them but not put an army on the table yet

Offline Wilgut Spleens

• Scientist
« Reply #5 on: July 24, 2020, 01:57:57 PM »

Offline Neunfinger

• Scientist
« Reply #6 on: July 24, 2020, 04:16:08 PM »
I like the stuff you are doing yourself with historical minis for the Witcher , that is a great idea, and beautifuly done. How are  you finding the Oathmark rules? I have read them but not put an army on the table yet

I like them quite a lot. To me they feel like Warhammer 6th Edition (which was my entry into wargaming) should have felt. The rules are well structured, clear and just complex enough to get invested in without getting overly complicated. I really love the alternate activation system, it keeps both players engaged at all times und means that not getting the first turn is not a huge deal. The strategic aspect of when to activate which unit is challenging and rewarding. One thing I find unintuitive is how flexible units can manoeuvre and how this can lead to quite surprising (and sometimes even rediculous) flanking attacks. I say unintuitive because I am not sure yet whether it's good or bad, having only played two games.
But even if this should become a thing I dislike, there still so much the game does right: the flexibility of army creation, the core mechanics (5d10, simpling subtraction of enemy defence minus your own offence value=target number, the activation system...), the right balance of exotic monsters, heroes and core troops. Also the book has a really good design and some great artwork.

Offline Wilgut Spleens

• Scientist
« Reply #7 on: July 24, 2020, 07:03:58 PM »
Now you've done it! What did you have to go and say that for? I bought the rules , read them and have spent the last two weeks convincing myself they are not what I need. No shield wall there, I thought, no profile for an Aragorn or a Sauron. And now you have made them sound like a great (and fun) set of rules in their own right that would work perfectly as a self contained game!

It's too late, Ive read it I cant not see it ...and now I am creating a kingdom!!

Offline Neunfinger

• Scientist
« Reply #8 on: July 24, 2020, 07:38:18 PM »
Haha, you won't regret it :D

Offline Red Orc

• Scatterbrained Genius
  • Baffled but happy
    • My new VSF blog:
« Reply #9 on: July 27, 2020, 01:04:04 PM »
hehehe very kind words, thank you. I often inspire sighs from my off spring

Go on, get em out, you know you want to

Oh, all right!

I watched the Bakshi Lord of the Rings on Saturday - for the first time in 40 years - and it has given me the idea to try to paint up some LotR minis in slightly different colour-schemes inspired by the art from that movie. Coupled with this awesome thread (ad a few others on LAF) may be just the impetus I need to slosh some more paint on things!

Offline Wilgut Spleens

• Scientist
« Reply #10 on: July 28, 2020, 09:14:19 AM »
that's a great idea! All grey tones and yellow eyes. I havent seen that film in a long time.I remember that Shades the dwarf and Giant Haystacks both appear in the Prancing Pony scene. Such a good film. Seriously , that is a great plan.

Offline Hupp n at em

• Mastermind
« Reply #11 on: July 28, 2020, 04:37:29 PM »
Wow, lots of good conversion work here!  The end result is a really nice, cohesive non-PJ vision of Middle Earth.  8)

Offline Wilgut Spleens

• Scientist
« Reply #12 on: July 29, 2020, 07:18:49 AM »
Wow, lots of good conversion work here!  The end result is a really nice, cohesive non-PJ vision of Middle Earth.  8)
Thanks mate! The next chapter involves the Haradrim heavy infantry and the huge black men like half trolls with white eyes and red tongues, I hope you will enjoy it as much

https://wilgut.blogspot.com/?fbclid=IwAR1Wxym4KaGlfxDe-t26hVxoRayeoV9_ijQKzgXEFjAXR5FYzq7l1qP0Rro