Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 28, 2024, 09:54:51 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Donate

We Appreciate Your Support

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 1686454
  • Total Topics: 118100
  • Online Today: 811
  • Online Ever: 2235
  • (October 29, 2023, 12:32:45 AM)
Users Online

Recent

Author Topic: The Grey League of Morris - Finished at Last!  (Read 16225 times)

Offline Mason

• Elder God
  • Eternal Butterfly!
    • Blind Beggar Miniatures
Re: The Grey League of Morris
« Reply #15 on: August 03, 2020, 02:12:58 PM »
 lol lol lol

It appears that the Grey League use much the same mode of transport as the Ladies of the Women's Institute (Much-Verbosity-in the-Wold, Defence Division).

Much care should be taken not to attempt boarding the same conveyance as there could be a serious Breach of the Peace should they encounter the Ladies en route to a meeting, as their ire is easily stoked by the sight of a fully inflated pigs bladder!

You have been warned!

Offline Doug ex-em4

• Supporting Adventurer
  • Scatterbrained Genius
« Reply #16 on: August 03, 2020, 02:37:55 PM »
lol lol lol

It appears that the Grey League use much the same mode of transport as the Ladies of the Women's Institute (Much-Verbosity-in the-Wold, Defence Division).

Much care should be taken not to attempt boarding the same conveyance as there could be a serious Breach of the Peace should they encounter the Ladies en route to a meeting, as their ire is easily stoked by the sight of a fully inflated pigs bladder!

You have been warned!

Oh my word - this all the makings of an incident of apocalyptic proportions. Please tell me that Much-Verbosity-in-the-Wold is not in Borsetshire.....

Great to see your gang ladies en masse, Paul. Nice paint jobs on show there, as well ;)

Doug

Offline Mad Lord Snapcase

• Supporting Adventurer
  • Galactic Brain
  • Snapcase Hall, Much-Piddling, Devon
    • The Life and Times of Mad Lord Snapcase
« Reply #17 on: August 03, 2020, 05:58:06 PM »
Mason, those Grey cars do get about, is yours the Torquay bus?

Incidentally, as always I rewarded the telegram boy with a silver thruppenny piece which I will expect reimbursement of next time we meet.

Happy to stump up, old boy. Don't you owe me half a sov though, from Boat Race night? You bet me I wouldn't wear Matron's bloomers to the University Ball. Photo of said bloomers on it's way to you, by Post Office messenger boy!!

Offline syrinx0

• Supporting Adventurer
  • Scatterbrained Genius
« Reply #18 on: August 04, 2020, 12:58:19 AM »
What excellently painted groups and their buses.  I am reminded by this why I only travel by personal car.  Not only can you enjoy a quiet drink in the back but it is safer.
2024: B: 0; P: 148; 2023: B:77; P:37;

Offline Doug ex-em4

• Supporting Adventurer
  • Scatterbrained Genius
« Reply #19 on: August 04, 2020, 09:14:35 AM »
Mason, those Grey cars do get about, is yours the Torquay bus?

Happy to stump up, old boy. Don't you owe me half a sov though, from Boat Race night? You bet me I wouldn't wear Matron's bloomers to the University Ball. Photo of said bloomers on it's way to you, by Post Office messenger boy!!

As I recall, your decision to wear the bloomers on your head rendered the wager null and, indeed, void....

What excellently painted groups and their buses.  I am reminded by this why I only travel by personal car.  Not only can you enjoy a quiet drink in the back but it is safer.
A very wise choice. I find the wine on offer in most buses to be distinctly inferior....

Doug

Offline Doug ex-em4

• Supporting Adventurer
  • Scatterbrained Genius
Re: The Grey League of Morris - a Mysterious Stranger 05.08
« Reply #20 on: August 05, 2020, 10:30:17 AM »
As the 80b rumbles towards Much Rampling, we switch our attention to the pub in that village, The Green Man.

This is where a thoughtful bus company have established the bus stop for the greater comfort and convenience of passengers.

Waiting almost furtively at the frankly crude, crap and embarrassing bus stop is a Mysterious Stranger, recently arrived in the village. This is Giselle Cas de Pression. The Cas de Pressions are distantly related to the old Devonshire family of Snapcase - something to do with over-hearty celebration after Agincourt.

She is carrying what appears to be a large, leather map case. What can this portend, we wonder....?

Doug

• Supporting Adventurer
  • Galactic Brain
« Reply #21 on: August 05, 2020, 11:24:27 AM »
As I recall, your decision to wear the bloomers on your head rendered the wager null and, indeed, void....

Fair point, well made. Old Scrotum is bicycling over to Borsetshire now with your silver thrupenny bit. I have equipped him with a flask of cheap rum and a sandwich case containing his favourite cheese and marmite sandwiches. Perhaps you could top the flask up for his return journey (and don't let him touch anything, I know where he's been!).

The Cas de Pressions are distantly related to the old Devonshire family of Snapcase - something to do with over-hearty celebration after Agincourt.

Indeed, the Earldom of Snapcase was created by Henry V after the Battle of Agincourt for Sir Thomas Snapcase, a mere knight in Henry's employ. Sir Thomas stepped in front of Henry at a crucial moment in the battle and took a crossbow bolt in the shoulder, which was meant for the King. A secret diary kept by Thomas but never published revealed that he seen a rather shiny gold coin on the ground, just in front of the King and was stooping to pick it up, when he prematurely interrupted the flight of the bolt with his shoulder. It also reveals a night of licentious and debauched revelry spent in the company of one Fifi Cas de Pression, that liaison it seems, resulted in issue of the illegitimate kind. I believe the child was named Crispin Cas de Pression after the Saint's day the battle was fought on. The families do keep in touch after they were re-united in the Great War, but that's a story for another day!

However, ignore all this pointless digression, Giselle looks like the sort of lass any ageing Earl would love to be introduced to. As to the map case, well I have shot my bolt there in an earlier thread. One wonders whether she is waiting for the bus or waiting to meet the Grey League? Personally, I would have popped into the Green Man for a soothing libation of 6X!

« Last Edit: August 05, 2020, 11:36:34 AM by Mad Lord Snapcase »

Offline Vagabond

• Mastermind
    • Vagabond's Wargaming Blog
« Reply #22 on: August 08, 2020, 05:59:14 PM »
You're away with the start of another great story line Doug ex EM 4, who knows where it will end.

I suspect that Giselle Cas de Pression has a chip butty in her map case, although being French it will be a Pommes Frite, baguette, which explains why she needs a long thin mapcase for the baguette.

Offline Doug ex-em4

• Supporting Adventurer
  • Scatterbrained Genius
« Reply #23 on: August 10, 2020, 12:11:10 PM »
Fair point, well made. Old Scrotum is bicycling over to Borsetshire now with your silver thrupenny bit. I have equipped him with a flask of cheap rum and a sandwich case containing his favourite cheese and marmite sandwiches. Perhaps you could top the flask up for his return journey (and don't let him touch anything, I know where he's been!).

Old Scrotum will be adequately compensated and re-victualled. I calculate that he should arrive by the third week in December,

You're away with the start of another great story line Doug ex EM 4, who knows where it will end.

I suspect that Giselle Cas de Pression has a chip butty in her map case, although being French it will be a Pommes Frite, baguette, which explains why she needs a long thin mapcase for the baguette.
Hopefully, it will end somewhere, having progressed through a beguiling beginning (where we are now), and an epic middle.

Your suggestion as to the contents of the map case is not without merit.

Anyway, the 80b has finally arrived at Much Rampling:

After their long, tiring journey, the Team erupt from the bus with an excess of energy, passing round the cider flagon enthusiastically:

At the same time, who should emerge from the pub but Stupefaction Queeg, last seen wandering the moors as Sir Rufus Pitt-Bulstrode and his followers battled the cultists of the Worried Throppet.
https://leadadventureforum.com/index.php?topic=125080.45

He bids a "good day" to Henrietta Ferkin who stops and enquires whether he can explain the arrival of these four boisterous, armed strangers on the 80b from Borchester? "Don’t ee know, Mistress Ferkin? Well I’m blowed; these are members of the highly secret and discreet Grey Morris - them as do search out and exact revenge on those disrespecting Morris Dancing. They do operate from a secret lair located no-one knows where. Dear oh dear, fancy you not knowing that...!"

"But, responds Mistress Ferkin, if they’re so secret and discreet, how is it that you........oh, never mind. Good day to you Farmer Queeg.”

Meanwhile, Giselle has, not surprisingly, attracted the attention of the Team Leader.......

Doug

Offline syrinx0

• Supporting Adventurer
  • Scatterbrained Genius
Re: The Grey League of Morris - finally, the bus arrives 10.08
« Reply #24 on: August 10, 2020, 05:45:56 PM »
Henrietta not knowing the ins and outs of the secret Morris society no doubt speaks volumes as to her taste in quality music and dancing.  Of course the same could be said about Stupefaction's preferences in entertainment. 

Offline Jerm

• Assistant
« Reply #25 on: August 10, 2020, 09:20:21 PM »
I don't know what I was expecting when I stumbled out of the heat haze and into this thread, but I declare it to be marvelous. Good show all around. I shall most certainly return.

• Supporting Adventurer
  • Galactic Brain
« Reply #26 on: August 12, 2020, 07:06:34 AM »
The tension is building and we are all agog to discover what part Giselle has to play in this mystery?   :o

Offline Doug ex-em4

• Supporting Adventurer
  • Scatterbrained Genius
« Reply #27 on: August 12, 2020, 05:53:35 PM »
Henrietta not knowing the ins and outs of the secret Morris society no doubt speaks volumes as to her taste in quality music and dancing.  Of course the same could be said about Stupefaction's preferences in entertainment.

It is conceivable that this observation may fall within the purview of the Grey League. You should take precautions. :)

Thanks again for your interest

I don't know what I was expecting when I stumbled out of the heat haze and into this thread, but I declare it to be marvelous. Good show all around. I shall most certainly return.
I’m delighted to welcome you to my musings and thank you very much for your kind remarks. I hope to keep your interest.

The tension is building and we are all agog to discover what part Giselle has to play in this mystery?   :o
Myself included (regarding Giselle's rôle). I mean, she must have one. Surely?

Doug

Offline Elk101

• Elder God
« Reply #28 on: August 12, 2020, 06:13:26 PM »
Giselle's roll? I thought it had been ascertained that it was most likely a baguette?

Thanks for bringing some added fun to the board guys.

• Supporting Adventurer
  • Galactic Brain
« Reply #29 on: August 12, 2020, 06:41:27 PM »
Giselle's roll? I thought it had been ascertained that it was most likely a baguette?

...or maybe it's a Croque Monsieur?