Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 28, 2024, 02:11:30 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Donate

We Appreciate Your Support

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 1686489
  • Total Topics: 118102
  • Online Today: 857
  • Online Ever: 2235
  • (October 29, 2023, 12:32:45 AM)
Users Online

Recent

Author Topic: Large Soldiers  (Read 1696 times)

Offline Xorthyx

• Schoolboy
Large Soldiers
« on: August 07, 2020, 12:41:32 AM »
I have some bigger models I would love to put on the board but they out scale the rest of my army.  I know a witch can make a bear or summoner a demon, that is considered large. Is there another way to get a large size model into my warband? I'm starting to paint up some options for second edition and can't wait.

Offline Coenus Scaldingus

• Mad Scientist
Re: Large Soldiers
« Reply #1 on: August 07, 2020, 09:04:14 AM »
There's also the large construct that can be created by an Enchanter.
That said, I'd be fine with the use of somewhat larger models for regular soldiers too, assuming somebody wasn't very clearly doing it to get an advantage in some way or another. By that, I'm thinking of the larger figures not just being missile troops (who could benefit from extra height to shoot at figures otherwise obscured from view) or to for example have an extra large Knight with items making it extra tough, and then hide several softer figures behind it or so. In other circumstances, being larger is probably just a downside in Frostgrave really, so just use whatever nice figures you happen to have. Getting cool stuff on the table and having some fun is all the game should be about!
~Ad finem temporum~

Offline snitcythedog

• Supporting Adventurer
  • Scatterbrained Genius
    • Snitchys blog
« Reply #2 on: August 07, 2020, 12:01:00 PM »
In other circumstances, being larger is probably just a downside in Frostgrave really, so just use whatever nice figures you happen to have.
We had this discussion going the other direction.  I have enough halflings to field a proper warband.  However In play they would have a distinct advantage hiding among terrain so I have never done so.  As most games of Frostgrave are friendly, if your group is happy with then I say go ahead. 
A bottle of scotch and two aspirin a day will greatly reduce your awareness of heart disease.
"Never argue with a fool, onlookers may not be able to tell the difference"... Mark Twain
http://snitchythedog.blogspot.com

Offline Coenus Scaldingus

• Mad Scientist
« Reply #3 on: August 07, 2020, 03:32:56 PM »
We had this discussion going the other direction.  I have enough halflings to field a proper warband.  However In play they would have a distinct advantage hiding among terrain so I have never done so.  As most games of Frostgrave are friendly, if your group is happy with then I say go ahead.
Very familiar with that issue; scrambled together a bunch of Halflings myself for my very first game of Frostgrave years ago (happened to have them on the painting desk and they had suitable equipment), and I felt a bit bad when my sneaky little thieves could just hide behind a tiny wall and be safe from enemy bowfire and wandering monsters. But then I also felt bad in a different way when my own archers coudn't see over similar tiny walls, so that compensated things a little.  lol  Games Workshop's Lord of the Rings Hobbits... by the Valar, they're small...

Offline joe5mc

• Mastermind
    • The Renaissance Troll
« Reply #4 on: August 08, 2020, 09:21:18 AM »
Line of sight always works both ways, so I wouldn't worry about it. As CS pointed out, if you are hiding and can't be seen, that means you can't seem them either.

Offline Xorthyx

• Schoolboy
« Reply #5 on: August 18, 2020, 08:55:32 PM »
Thanks for the advice guys! I may have to put a captain or cool legendary as one of them.