Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 24, 2024, 05:25:25 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Donate

We Appreciate Your Support

Recent

Author Topic: 20mm or 28mm for Apocalypse games?  (Read 2006 times)

Offline racm32

• Mastermind
    • Wyndehurst Productions
20mm or 28mm for Apocalypse games?
« on: August 29, 2020, 05:26:40 PM »
So I'd like some of your all's input. I have the opportunity to get a few back of Zombicide Zombie minis on sale and I think the minis look great. I'd be getting them to go with some Lead Adventure Wasteland Survivors I painted up nearly 10 years ago but never got on the table. The problem is that all of my Modern terrain is in 20mm because when I got into Modern wargames their was more verity in 20mm and better price. I have some 20mm plastic zombies and survivors but there just isn't the level of detail at that scale I'd like for a game where you control just a handful of characters. So if I get the 28mm Zombies I'd also need to make an entire new set of 28mm Modern ruins. While making the terrain is not a particular challenge the space available to store it is. I am already near my storage limit in my current living arrangements. And as I'm in the military I'll have to pack it all up and move it in a few years anyway.
So my question for you all is it worth jumping on the deal now for some nice 28mm Zombies and then start working on terrain for it. Or should I settle for 20mm post apocalypse minis which are athsteticaly less desirable but use my existing terrain set?

Online AKULA

• Supporting Adventurer
  • Galactic Brain
    • Little Wars
Re: 20mm or 28mm for Apocalypse games?
« Reply #1 on: August 29, 2020, 06:17:01 PM »
Bite the bullet, and go for 28mm...you won’t regret it...so many more options

:)

Online Cat

• Mastermind
  • All Purpose Neko-Sensei
    • Goblinhall
« Reply #2 on: August 29, 2020, 06:28:09 PM »
Storage space limits are real ('m shovelling out my basement now to try to squeeze in more new stuff)!

I have lots of stuff in 28mm, and the storage requirements are massive, especially for terrain.

My zombies are all 20mm/1:72.  I started with several hundred Twilight Creation's plastic Zombies!!!  When painted up, they provide nice visual variety.  [alas all of my old photos were lost to a fallen image hosting service.]  Core set of survivors are old GW Dark Future minis, plus assorted other 20mm and 1/72.  I'm happy with the detail on these, and that massive Zombie hordes are possible.  Perfect scale for the Hannah Montana Mall Madness 3D game  board!

Offline swiftnick

• Mastermind
« Reply #3 on: August 29, 2020, 07:41:28 PM »
You already have 20mm terrain, no brainer stick with 20mm.
Check out the Copplestone Gaslands figures in 20mm.

Online Cat

• Mastermind
  • All Purpose Neko-Sensei
    • Goblinhall
« Reply #4 on: August 30, 2020, 12:02:34 AM »
I also got a bunch of modern and pulp/horror Elhiem figures.  They've expanded their ranges since then, including some nice post-apoc and zombie ranges:
https://www.elhiem.co.uk/

Offline Sinewgrab

• Scatterbrained Genius
  • All to all, by my mustard!
« Reply #5 on: August 30, 2020, 04:55:43 PM »
For me, it is 28mm all the way.  I loathe painting smaller scales.  Also, there is an abundance of material available, and it works well enough with O or S scale terrain that there is even more to choose from terrain wise.
"There is no known cure for the wargaming virus, only treatments with ever increasing doses of metal."

Offline clanmac

• Mad Scientist
  • Danger - Stupid and Industrious
    • Clan Mac's Post Apocalyptia
« Reply #6 on: August 30, 2020, 06:56:25 PM »
For me, it is 28mm all the way.  I loathe painting smaller scales.  Also, there is an abundance of material available, and it works well enough with O or S scale terrain that there is even more to choose from terrain wise.

I'm the same - 28mm. Variety is the key for me. More miniatures, more scenery and loads of scope to dive into 1/48 plastic models, O Scale scenery and 1/43 - 1/50 diecasts.  That said, if I already had half a world of 20mm scenery, I could understand why you'd think twice.
Mac

It's not big, or clever, but let's do it anyway

https://www.facebook.com/Junkt0wn/

Offline CookAndrewB

• Mastermind
    • 3d designs can be found at Thingiverse
« Reply #7 on: August 31, 2020, 07:23:49 PM »
I think this is less a discussion about scale, and perhaps more of a discussion about how we build terrain. A couple years ago I decided I would go with 2" walls and no roof for my post apoc terrain (28mm). Because of the design, and general lack of vertical playing space (I have since overcome this to one degree or another) I am able to stack/nest more terrain into a smaller space. At 20mm, I build without playable interiors and do full buildings, but they are compact and able to be stacked/stored quite neatly. In that project I started with my storage box dimensions and worked backwards, using that footprint as a baseline for building size and layout so that they fit in their storage container like Tetris blocks.

Currently, my largest terrain collection is for 15mm, and it takes up far more space than 28mm or 20mm because it doesn't stack or nest as well.

Ultimately, I think that the storage issue is about the terrain we use rather than scale.

I also think that there are some terrain pieces that can do double duty between 20mm and 28mm. Trees/rocks/hills can be made generic enough to work wherever we want to use them. That helps cut down on storage as well.

Offline Golgotha

• Scatterbrained Genius
    • BMC Miniatures - All things wargame related.
« Reply #8 on: September 13, 2020, 06:06:03 PM »
20mm especially if space is a concern.

Offline Pooflinger

• Lurker
« Reply #9 on: September 15, 2020, 02:02:17 AM »
I was struggling with this as well.  Was tempted by 28mm but due to existing terrain decided on 20mm.  My dark alliance stalkers and zombies just arrived today! 

I like the look of a 20mm battle.  The shooting ranges look better. Unfortunately my terrain is more bombed out ww2 so I'm busy making burned up or rusted out cars and improvised barricades for a more apocolyptic feel.  Or just 2020!

Offline Ultravanillasmurf

• Galactic Brain
    • Ultravanillasmurf
« Reply #10 on: September 15, 2020, 07:54:16 AM »
Unfortunately my terrain is more bombed out ww2.
Well, have you read "The Battle of Yonkers" in World War Z or seen the US Military response in Fear the Walking Dead?

Offline thenamelessdead

• Scientist
  • I've made a huge mistake...
« Reply #11 on: October 03, 2020, 02:57:48 PM »
The 1/72 Dark Alliance Stalkers sets are well worth a look. I'm hoping to have mine painted up to show off on here before too much longer.

Offline Mr. White

• Mastermind
    • Wyrd Stones and Tackle Zones
« Reply #12 on: October 05, 2020, 03:57:50 PM »
I'm a fan of 20mm because I'm a huge fan of the old Citadel Dark Future line for post apoc minis. I also appreciate the smaller shelf space required to store 20mm terrain. and of course...easier to paint! ;)

In fact, I need to start up a 20mm post apoc thread because I'm going to be working on a 20mm project bringing several post apoc titles together.
« Last Edit: October 05, 2020, 04:21:01 PM by Jack Hooligan »