Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 28, 2024, 09:59:55 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Donate

We Appreciate Your Support

Recent

Author Topic: A and A Miniatures Size Comparison  (Read 2700 times)

Offline SJWi

• Mastermind
A and A Miniatures Size Comparison
« on: September 01, 2020, 07:50:40 PM »
 Hi, can anyone offer me a view on the size compatibility of the Armorum and Aquila ( A and A ) Miniatures 28mm Celtic range. I know from personal experience that  the A & A figures can vary in size, and would be looking to mix their Celts with the likes of Warlord's Celts and Aventine's Galatians.

Thanks.

Offline Shark in Exile

• Student
Re: A and A Miniatures Size Comparison
« Reply #1 on: September 02, 2020, 06:52:37 PM »
They will mix well with Crusader Miniatures Celts and the Foundry Ancient British & Celts.

Not sure at Warlords or Aventine’s Celts

Offline SJWi

• Mastermind
« Reply #2 on: September 02, 2020, 07:46:09 PM »
Thanks, The Foundry Celts are quite a lot smaller than my Aventine and Warlord so I guess A&A won't mix. That was my suspicion all along as they date from the mid'90s when figures were moving from 25mm to 28mm....and beyond!

Regards

Offline Pinno

• Librarian
« Reply #3 on: September 03, 2020, 06:14:48 AM »
I have Victrix and Crusader Celts and they mix well... A&A Celts are created by same sculptor as Crusader ones. They are on my list too. :)

Offline SJWi

• Mastermind
« Reply #4 on: September 03, 2020, 07:47:27 AM »
Thanks. I may now re-think. The A&A Celts are nice figures so based on your comment I may “risk it”. I only want a couple of packs to complete an “Infamy” force.

Offline Atheling

• Elder God
    • Just Add Water Wargaming Blog
« Reply #5 on: September 03, 2020, 07:51:36 AM »
Thanks, The Foundry Celts are quite a lot smaller than my Aventine and Warlord so I guess A&A won't mix. That was my suspicion all along as they date from the mid'90s when figures were moving from 25mm to 28mm....and beyond!

Regards

Can I ask, are you including the Foundry Gauls in that equation? From what I remember they were done by a different sculptor and relatively late on ???

Offline pws

• Scientist
    • Pippoweb hobby blog
« Reply #6 on: September 03, 2020, 08:06:49 AM »
They will mix well with Crusader Miniatures Celts and the Foundry Ancient British & Celts.
Not sure at Warlords or Aventine’s Celts

I agree, they mix very well with them in my west late roman army, in which you can find also Footsore, Gripping beast, Black tree and Ebor (very very nice).
I tend to mix a lot  I know lol I buy what I like most in the market.
Aventine tend to be a little bigger, just as Foundry (due to age) are a little smaller but fantastic figures and so totally happy with them too.

In my tastes not so mixable with "plastics" of any range, plastic figures got something different from most of the metal ones, I do my large projects all metal or all plastics rarely mix them.

A&A has also some nice offers like 10 infantry figure for the price 8, or 4 cavalry for 3... good shipping rates, I bought a couple of times, very satisfied.
Ciao
Per aspera ad astra
pippoweb.blogspot.it

Offline SJWi

• Mastermind
« Reply #7 on: September 03, 2020, 09:28:50 AM »
To answer the various points.

I haven’t checked out the Foundry Gauls, but I know they were sculpted later than the British. I have a British army and although lovely figures are relatively small.

I don’t like the Warlord Plastics. Too many strange poses for my liking. I did buy some Victrix Gauls but found the spears too delicate for my big fingers!

Offline steve29651

• Bookworm
« Reply #8 on: September 03, 2020, 08:27:29 PM »
I am at present doing  Celt/Gaul Army for SAGA and funny enough I am painting a Aventine Galatian and a Foundry Gaul, They match fine, the Victrix Gauls do match but the spears and swords do not.
Keith at Aventine was kind enough to provide me with extra sword hands, when you buy some of the Galatians you get both a sword and spear hands to glue on the figure, Keith provided me with a extra sword hand instead of a spear.
I have been able to put these on the Victrix Figures.
I also have some Black Tree Design Celts which fit in with the figures, the only ones I do not have are the A&A figures which I may purchase at some stage.  Not a great fan of the Foundry Gauls but they do fit and in the main are OK.
As a matter of interest I had some old Renegade Celts, they fit fine but as with the Black Tree Design you cannot buy them anymore. Apart from the Renegade swords on some of the figures.
If anyone has any Renegade Celts please let me know.

Steve M

Offline cadbren

• Librarian
« Reply #9 on: September 07, 2020, 06:50:27 AM »
A&A Celts are the same style as the Crusader Celts but slightly smaller. They mix in well making stands of similar looking warriors with different heights. Their cavalry though are tiny compared to Crusader, they scale more to the older Foundry British cavalry. Crusader, Victrix and Foundry Gallic cavalry are similar sizes.

Offline SJWi

• Mastermind
« Reply #10 on: September 07, 2020, 10:50:19 AM »
Cadbren.

So, the A&A Celtic foot are bigger than the cavalry? I bought some of the cavalry and as you say found them more akin in stature to the Foundry British Celts. I assumed the infantry would be similarly small and thus wouldn’t mix well with other newer ranges. If you confirm the infantry are bigger I will risk buying some given A&A’s current “buy 4 get 1 free” offer which makes them excellent value-for-money.

Offline Fremitus Borealis

• Scientist
  • Magister Discipulorum
« Reply #11 on: September 07, 2020, 01:06:16 PM »
How do the A&A Celts mix with 1st Corps? I find 1st Corps to be a little smaller, in the "beyond the normal range of human height" kind of way 😁 I wanted to mix the 1st Corps in with some Warlord, but I just don't think it'll work with the height difference.
"Nice try, history; better luck next year."

Offline SJWi

• Mastermind
« Reply #12 on: September 07, 2020, 01:38:12 PM »
Fremitus, in my experience 1st Corps older ancient ranges are quite small. I understand they were designed to be compatible with the older Foundry figures. Certainly I can vouch that their Romans are the same height but a much slimmer build.  I don’t think they are compatible with anything else except maybe Newline.

Offline Ockius

• Scientist
« Reply #13 on: September 07, 2020, 02:17:26 PM »
I saw it mentioned that the A&A cavalry are a bit small and I would second that. They almost seem more like 25mm to me. Meanwhile, I only have their naked fanatics in terms of infantry, which are a lot bigger and a very good fit for Crusader (same sculptor, same size I believe) and I have them alongside Warlord plastics and metals.
My armies:
- Henry VIII's army (WIP) 15mm
- Ancient Germans (28mm)
- Ancient Belgae (Gauls with German allies) (28mm)
- Massilian Greeks (Greeks and Gallic mercenaries/subjects) (28mm)
- A few EI Romans (28mm)
- Handful of WW2 British (15mm)
- A load of old 1993-1999ish Warhammer Orcs and Goblins

Offline Fremitus Borealis

• Scientist
  • Magister Discipulorum
« Reply #14 on: September 07, 2020, 03:31:05 PM »
Fremitus, in my experience 1st Corps older ancient ranges are quite small. I understand they were designed to be compatible with the older Foundry figures. Certainly I can vouch that their Romans are the same height but a much slimmer build.  I don’t think they are compatible with anything else except maybe Newline.

Thanks for the insight! I have some 1st Corps Thracians in the "lead pile" right now, and I had noticed they were small compared with other things, as well. I had really wanted to mix them with some of the "Mortal Gods" Thracians, but alas, the latter are like 7ft tall by comparison lol

Maybe I'll try the old "penny" trick to lift 'em up slightly just so they're not quite as short.