Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 25, 2024, 06:31:50 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Donate

We Appreciate Your Support

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 1690678
  • Total Topics: 118343
  • Online Today: 866
  • Online Ever: 2235
  • (October 29, 2023, 01:32:45 AM)
Users Online

Recent

Author Topic: Church Build - FINISHED  (Read 2902 times)

Offline Coronasan

• Scientist
Church Build - FINISHED
« on: September 06, 2020, 05:07:38 PM »
A few months ago, there was a post here about pimping up an MDF church kit, which was really well done. So I thought I would have a go at doing the same thing with my own MDF church.

I have already posted on the cardboard tile roof I have been working on:

The rest of the church is a pretty standard MDF build...

...a couple of boxes joined together

...and then some buttresses

Once that was done, I used some ready made filler for the church walls and tower. Using a 1" brush, I stippled the filler to get rid of brush marks and give a stone effect.

I started with tower in case it all went horribly wrong and I had to replace just that rather than the whole thing.

I have undercoated the tower section with a Homebase charcoal tester paint and will drybrush it up much lighter.
« Last Edit: September 29, 2020, 11:42:13 AM by Coronasan »
So much to do, so little time...

Offline AndrewBeasley

• Mastermind
Re: Church Build
« Reply #1 on: September 06, 2020, 09:43:43 PM »
I like that stipple effect.  Think it's the first time I've seen that and will watch the drybrushing with interest.

I had a tube of wood filler that had gone gritty and gave a great result on MDF but it finally solidified on me and the replacement is smooth as it should be.

Did you wet the brush at all?

Offline Coronasan

• Scientist
« Reply #2 on: September 07, 2020, 10:23:34 AM »
Did you wet the brush at all?

Doing the first two test bits was quite hard work as the filler was quite dry, so I scooped a bit out and into a yogurt pot and then added a few drops of water to thin it down. I could then "paint" it on much easier before stippling to get rid of the brush marks. This really made the Nave much easier to do.

Offline Mr.J

• Mastermind
« Reply #3 on: September 07, 2020, 10:28:46 AM »
That looks really good. Where is the model from?

Offline tin shed gamer

• Supporting Adventurer
  • Scatterbrained Genius
« Reply #4 on: September 07, 2020, 11:08:48 AM »
Looking forward to seeing how you get on.
As I really enjoy reading how other people tackle Church builds. Personally I think a Church is really versatile piece of scenery that's often overlooked.
I got a little carried away with adding an interior to my own as it's used for Pulp and fantasy games as well as Historical.
Do you intend on an interior for your church?  (I know how much extra works involved as an interior is effectively you building/painting a second model.So I was wondering if you were of a more sensible nature than myself.)

Mark.

Offline Coronasan

• Scientist
« Reply #5 on: September 07, 2020, 02:19:43 PM »
I got a little carried away with adding an interior to my own as it's used for Pulp and fantasy games as well as Historical.
Do you intend on an interior for your church?  (I know how much extra works involved as an interior is effectively you building/painting a second model.So I was wondering if you were of a more sensible nature than myself.)
I am only going to add some wall panel type bits to cover up the internal tabs, it certainly will not be historically accurate.

But I do have some pews!

Offline Coronasan

• Scientist
« Reply #6 on: September 07, 2020, 02:26:02 PM »
That looks really good. Where is the model from?
Thanks, it is my own design, which I have been working on for my Tudorish style town. Not historically accurate, but designed with plenty of access and space for figures.

I have been learning how to use the design software and getting Jim at Products For Wargamers to cut the results for me. My problem is that I am always looking at ways to improve a design so they never get finished. This church has been in the works since February.

Offline PhilB

• Scientist
    • A Dragontooth Grognard
« Reply #7 on: September 07, 2020, 07:02:41 PM »
Great project! One suggestion: if you plan to do anything to the interior walls, it's easiest to do it *prior* to assembly. I don't know if everything we see here is already glued together or just dry fit. If it's just dry fit, you might consider doing the interior paint and/or wall details before going any further. It's just a pain to try to reach down inside and paint anything seriously.

Offline tin shed gamer

• Supporting Adventurer
  • Scatterbrained Genius
« Reply #8 on: September 07, 2020, 07:29:05 PM »
I have to agree with Phil. If you've still the opportunity to do the interior before construction do so.
I simply made drop in floors and wall panels.Which if you've already glued the church together is probably an easier remedy than trying to get paint into all the nooks and crannies.
Even more so as it's your own CAD work. A quick tweak and print, and you'd have perfect bespoke drop in panel's of painted/or printed wall's and floor.

Offline Coronasan

• Scientist
« Reply #9 on: September 08, 2020, 08:38:46 AM »
Great project! One suggestion: if you plan to do anything to the interior walls, it's easiest to do it *prior* to assembly. I don't know if everything we see here is already glued together or just dry fit. If it's just dry fit, you might consider doing the interior paint and/or wall details before going any further. It's just a pain to try to reach down inside and paint anything seriously.
I have been dithering over the interior, but the interior wals have been undercoated and I am working on some new bits that will drop in.

Offline Coronasan

• Scientist
« Reply #10 on: September 08, 2020, 08:55:58 AM »

That is a really nicely detailed interior, not something I was planning to do, I was going to add a few pews and call it done.

Offline Coronasan

• Scientist
« Reply #11 on: September 08, 2020, 07:56:04 PM »
Having undercoated the whole church with a Homebase Charcoal tester pot, I have drybrushed a section with another Homebase tester pot of Fine Sand.

Phew, it looks okay!

Offline tin shed gamer

• Supporting Adventurer
  • Scatterbrained Genius
« Reply #12 on: September 08, 2020, 08:08:03 PM »
Cheers.
I've included a different view of the interior my  parish church.  Just to show some of the simple tweaks that help add character to my church. As I realized after a couple of games with my previous Chapel . The pews soon get taken out in order to play the interior . Or often just left in the box to start with.
So adding a little detail to the floor and walls kept the church 'vibe' going once the roof and tower were removed.
I went with a leaded roof simply because I was roof tiled out when it came the church.I keep chickening out from making a second lead roof painted in true medieval in your face bright colours and heraldry.
I do like the fact you took the time to build a jig for cutting roof tiles .A tool I'm sure will soon pay for it's self in time saved.
Out of curiosity have you CAD the pews or scratch built them?
It appears to be quite a substantial interior space. Are you planning on a pulpit , or an Altar on a dais?

The wooden features in my Church are just cereal packet card. Are you going to put something similar across the arched opening in the tower just imply a Chior balcony?
Just seen the test piece on the tower(notification came up whilst fetching a preview). I think that's pretty good to me .
It's got lovely flint feel to it.

Offline Ray Rivers

• Galactic Brain
« Reply #13 on: September 08, 2020, 08:31:59 PM »
Having undercoated the whole church with a Homebase Charcoal tester pot, I have drybrushed a section with another Homebase tester pot of Fine Sand.

Yikes!  :-*

That looks really nice.

Offline Coronasan

• Scientist
« Reply #14 on: September 10, 2020, 02:25:30 PM »
Out of curiosity have you CAD the pews or scratch built them?
It appears to be quite a substantial interior space. Are you planning on a pulpit , or an Altar on a dais?

The wooden features in my Church are just cereal packet card. Are you going to put something similar across the arched opening in the tower just imply a Chior balcony?

You have inspired me! I am going to make some partition sections like you have there on the right, I can make them removeable as well.

Once I have the basic wall panels fitted, I can then start thinking about adding an altar or pulpit.

The floor in my church is planking, but I think I will make a drop-in stone effect floor with some interesting designs on it, at least I will try.

The pews are also MDF, I have a basic design but may try out something a bit more fancy.