Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 28, 2024, 03:41:43 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Donate

We Appreciate Your Support

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 1686502
  • Total Topics: 118105
  • Online Today: 857
  • Online Ever: 2235
  • (October 29, 2023, 12:32:45 AM)
Users Online

Recent

Author Topic: UVS Oathmark - River Barge 18/06/2023  (Read 26527 times)

Offline Ultravanillasmurf

• Galactic Brain
    • Ultravanillasmurf
UVS Oathmark - River Barge 18/06/2023
« on: September 13, 2020, 06:07:03 PM »
Once my local book shop re-opened, I ordered an assortment of books including Oathmark.

Here is my brief review of the game.
https://ultravanillasmurf.blogspot.com/2020/08/oathmark-review.html

For those not wanting to click the link, I was intrigued by the rules, and filled with more enthusiasm than sense, I picked up a couple (more) boxes of Fireforge historicals from a model shop.

I then ran out of bases, so for a not-Colours order I bought a few boxes (and bases) from North Star.

Hopefully this thread will chronicle the building of mighty armies and their battles.
« Last Edit: June 18, 2023, 08:05:52 PM by Ultravanillasmurf »

• Galactic Brain
    • Ultravanillasmurf
Re: UVS Oathmark 13/09/2020
« Reply #1 on: September 13, 2020, 06:15:56 PM »
Basing
Oathmark works with 25mm square bases for infantry (with a maximum frontage of five bases). Now I have a lot of assembled (but unpainted) Frostgrave figures, all on 25mm round bases.

Luckily Renedra have an elegant solution -  sabot bases.

Other companies have similar bases (I am looking at getting some from Products For Wargamers which have three 50mm round holes for larger figures - they are in MDF).

Offline Sir_Theo

• Mastermind
« Reply #2 on: September 13, 2020, 06:39:44 PM »
I look forward to seeing your project develop.

I just picked up Battlesworn, and it has some interest additions to the game (Riverine craft and a different type of campaign primarily)  ive not played Oathsworn yet but it has a lot of elements I like.

Offline Historiker

• Scientist
« Reply #3 on: September 13, 2020, 11:10:39 PM »
Just today I also used the word "intriguing" in regards to Oathmark, so I will follow your thread with high interest :)

The "Lots of 25mm Round Skirmish Minis" situation also applies to me, so I might get myself some of those Renedra Trays though I am thinking of eventually trying to play the game with the classic 20mm squares bases (which might depend on some feedback I might get in my questions thread about Oathmark).

Godspeed for your new project, I can absolutely relate to all of a sudden having begun a new one. Your phrase "filled with more enthusiasm than sense" perfecty describes a phenomenon very well known to me  ;)
« Last Edit: September 13, 2020, 11:21:42 PM by Historiker »
"The philosopher Didactylos has summed up an alternative hypothesis as: Things just happen. What the hell."

• Galactic Brain
    • Ultravanillasmurf
« Reply #4 on: September 14, 2020, 08:44:10 PM »
Thanks Historiker, only just seen this.

Offline Grumpy Gnome

• Galactic Brain
    • The Grumpy Gnome
« Reply #5 on: September 14, 2020, 09:22:17 PM »
I highly recommend Products for Wargamers as a supplier. I have always had excellent customer service and quality products from them, both in person at Crisis and via post. They are also the most affordable I found for the 25mm sabot trays.

Now I am looking forward to seeing how your project comes along Ultravanillasmurf!
Home of the Grumpy Gnome

https://thegrumpygnome.home.blog/

Offline Historiker

• Scientist
« Reply #6 on: September 14, 2020, 10:20:24 PM »
Really looking forward to seeing your armies, be they Gnolls or others, as I am quite fond of the design direction of the North Star miniatures lines.

Particularly interested seeing the Elf Light Infantry as the only thing having kept me from buying those was that I hope that Northstar will release some Human Rangers eventually. We all know from Rangers of Shadow Deep that they do know how to get these right!

Oathmark really had a rough start due to it being released right in the middle of this whole global mess but I do think that there is great potential there and that Osprey are correct in having it positioned as one of their main games.

As said: All the best for the project!

• Galactic Brain
    • Ultravanillasmurf
Re: UVS Oathmark 14/10/2020
« Reply #7 on: October 14, 2020, 05:29:21 PM »
So, here is my first rank of Gnoll Linebreakers.

Out of the box Frostgrave Gnolls with some Green stuff details and Anvil Renaissance Pauldrons.

Another two ranks of Gnoll Infantry to assemble, but lots to paint.
« Last Edit: October 14, 2020, 05:32:44 PM by Ultravanillasmurf »

Offline Historiker

• Scientist
« Reply #8 on: October 14, 2020, 06:33:16 PM »
Really like the pauldrons. Takes away the "We are D&D villains" vibe and makes them look like an organized fighting force!

• Galactic Brain
    • Ultravanillasmurf
« Reply #9 on: October 14, 2020, 07:56:19 PM »
Thanks.

If I was to do them again I would have added some armour to their chests (I only decided to up-armour them after assembly).

They do have some added armour on the backs.

Offline Historiker

• Scientist
« Reply #10 on: October 14, 2020, 08:15:47 PM »
Very cool that you are already diving into the other unit types apart from the run-of-the-mill warriors. So far I have not assembled a single linebreaker.

Currently I am thinking that I might just use my square human infantry shields on some of the dwarf infantry to identify them as warriors instead of soldiers. Don't really like the Heavy Infantry Dwarf kit (too playful armour, too "evil dwarf-y" for me).

Will you do a whole Gnoll army or just several Gnoll units to use in a wider kingdom?

• Galactic Brain
    • Ultravanillasmurf
« Reply #11 on: October 15, 2020, 05:23:20 PM »
Very cool that you are already diving into the other unit types apart from the run-of-the-mill warriors. So far I have not assembled a single linebreaker.
Thanks.
A couple of the Linebreakers were from my original build when I bought my first box for Frostgrave (I do need to find Into the Breeding Pits sometime).
So they were to reduce the number of figures I needed and to make the army slightly different.
Will you do a whole Gnoll army or just several Gnoll units to use in a wider kingdom?

Well I ended up ordering two more boxes from North Star in August.

Because of the way you can build armies, I am building small armies that can be combined into larger armies. I have not planned beyond the initial 550 points really.

I do intend to build as much as I can for a Gnoll army.

I have Gnoll Soldiers, Archers and Linebreakers. Warriors might well need more Pauldrons from Anvil, or bits from the Skeletons.

Not sure how to build Spears, the bows are held horizontally so they would need wrist work. I might use the two handed spear arm.

I have one Snow Troll (Heresy), and need to order some more.

I am planning on building some Spellcasters (using the great Sword arms).

The Demon Renders included some armoured digitigrade legs which would be good for Command/Champion figures.

Plastic Hyenas would be great (but unlikely) so might use the wolves from the goblins set (if available separately).

• Galactic Brain
    • Ultravanillasmurf
« Reply #12 on: October 15, 2020, 05:31:21 PM »
Currently I am thinking that I might just use my square human infantry shields on some of the dwarf infantry to identify them as warriors instead of soldiers. Don't really like the Heavy Infantry Dwarf kit (too playful armour, too "evil dwarf-y" for me).
That is a good idea. I was wondering about using pavises or some Roman shields.

Offline Mr. White

• Mastermind
    • Wyrd Stones and Tackle Zones
« Reply #13 on: October 15, 2020, 06:26:35 PM »
So, how could the other frostgrave unit boxes be used besides gnolls for orcs? the human soldiers seem obvious, but what about the barbarians? the knights maybe sprinkled around as champions for units?

• Galactic Brain
    • Ultravanillasmurf
« Reply #14 on: October 15, 2020, 08:04:09 PM »
So, how could the other frostgrave unit boxes be used[?]
I have not thought much beyond the primary Oathmark Infantry box for that faction (Fireforge Northmen faction are self contained).

Selected Frostgrave Soldiers would work as Militia and Rangers, others will work as Spellcasters and command. The Knights will be cover Warrior and Linebreakers.

Barbarians, interesting thought - possibly Warrior, Ranger and Linebreaker (hardy barbarians scorn armour,  they do not need it). Alternatively reduce the Defence value.

Possible expansions?