Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 28, 2024, 08:30:09 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Donate

We Appreciate Your Support

Recent

Author Topic: Pulp Alley WW II Leagues  (Read 2281 times)

Offline Parkaboy

• Bookworm
Pulp Alley WW II Leagues
« on: September 17, 2020, 10:05:55 PM »
Has anyone written up some WWII squads for Pulp Alley?

Offline warrenpeace

• Mastermind
Re: Pulp Alley WW II Leagues
« Reply #1 on: September 18, 2020, 01:33:06 AM »
Not yet. I've had some early 20th Century soldiers including in some leagues before, but not yet any leagues that are entirely military. I'm thinking of setting up some quasi-military situations for Pulp Alley set in Spain in the years leading up to that country's nasty civil war. And I'm thinking about setting up some quasi-military situations in a fictional banana republic in the interwar years. Will be a while before I get to either project.

Sinewgrab (a fan of Pulp Alley who also hangs out in VSF, Weird WW2, and Post-Apocalyptic) has some WW2 Italians and a weird cult in a WW2 resistance setting that he has painted up. I don't know if he has generated Pulp Alley leagues for them yet. I have another friend who has WW2 Americans and Germans, and I'm hoping to see him pit those against some weird WW2 HP Lovecraft inspired horror using Pulp Alley at some point. But I don't know when he will get around to doing that.
Sailors have more fun!

Offline dgrosso

• Assistant
« Reply #2 on: September 18, 2020, 02:27:49 AM »
I would really like to do some Pulp WW2 games. I have rocket corps figs, Stalhelm, and some US robots with oversized tommyguns, plus all of my regular WW2 troops and vehicles. My biggest hangup is how to do rocket troops or other flying figures as a standard  choice without paying for the rocket packs. Other than that there are lots of fun ideas to play around with.

Offline Mr. Peabody

• Scatterbrained Genius
  • Canuck Amok
« Reply #3 on: September 18, 2020, 04:34:21 AM »
We did some WWII Pulp using the vehicle, team and gang rules and we had a lot of fun.

Rocket Troops could be played several different ways. Using the aircraft rules you could get them on the table without them overpowering everything. But purchasing jetpacks would definitely work too.
Television is rather a frightening business. But I get all the relaxation I want from my collection of model soldiers. P. Cushing
Peabody Here!

Offline nandrin

• Librarian
« Reply #4 on: September 18, 2020, 07:40:36 AM »
I have several German squads as antagonists for my adventurers, regular soldiers as well as SS troops and Project D(inosaur) for a real pulp touch. Just finished my Afrika Korps squad, carrying a certain treasure....Oh yes, and the rocket corps too.

Germans really show up regularly in my games, but so far I didnīt do any other military Leagues.

Offline tereydavi

• Librarian
« Reply #5 on: September 18, 2020, 10:34:03 AM »
I'm using nazis as the bad guys in several pulp games...

Also I'm playing a weird ww2 campaign with mythos horrors around, but not using pulp alley rules
Fear of the Dark skirmish wargame blog (rules, scenarios, general articles...)

https://fearofthedarkskirmishwargame.blogspot.com/

Offline NickNascati

• Scatterbrained Genius
« Reply #6 on: September 18, 2020, 12:06:12 PM »
Not WWII, but Spanish Civil War here.  The mid 1930s is the perfect era for Pulp Alley. I think you could easily handle a squad with the rules, but you may need a way of keeping track of who has activated.

Offline Elk101

• Elder God
« Reply #7 on: September 18, 2020, 01:58:12 PM »
I did some Home Guard and downed Luftwaffe airmen for PULP Alley. It worked well.

Offline Parkaboy

• Bookworm
« Reply #8 on: September 18, 2020, 03:39:31 PM »
Do any of you have the stats for these leagues? Was looking for some ideas to try.

Offline NickNascati

• Scatterbrained Genius
« Reply #9 on: September 18, 2020, 03:45:35 PM »
I do not, still painting up the figures.  I do plan to have specific characters though, Hemingway, Orwell, Gelhorn etc. plus squads of reds and fascists and assorted thugs.

Offline Parkaboy

• Bookworm
« Reply #10 on: September 18, 2020, 05:00:46 PM »
Are you going to use the squad/followers rules? I'm thinking of trying for two ten man squads and play it out to see how it works for WWII. I just really don't want to get bogged down in a lot of rules that most WWII games have.

Offline Elk101

• Elder God
« Reply #11 on: September 18, 2020, 05:21:57 PM »
Do any of you have the stats for these leagues? Was looking for some ideas to try.

I'll see if I can dig them out.

Offline Parkaboy

• Bookworm
« Reply #12 on: September 18, 2020, 06:13:48 PM »
Thanks!

Offline warrenpeace

• Mastermind
« Reply #13 on: September 19, 2020, 04:11:48 AM »
Make liberal use of gangs of 5 or 6 figures. Learn all the ways to use burst generating abilities to simulate automatic weapon fire and grenades. Try the Mastermind perk because it provides +6 slots at the cost of downgrading the leader from level 4 to level 3.

Consider giving a leader the Commander ability because it provides +4 slots. Look at leader abilities such as Rally and Tactician. Consider perks such as Garage, Long Range, Stable, Well Armed, or Eagle Eyed Troopers. All those abilities sound somewhat military and have useful effects in simulating a WW2 environment.

Translate some perks such as Stable, Fliers, and Riders into WW2 terms. Garage or Stable could get a league a jeep or truck or halftrack or set of motorcycles. Fliers could represent paratroopers landing from the air, or implausibly those rocket or jet troopers who inexplicably still have their legs below the rocket or jet exhaust. Riders could be on horses in WW2, or could be riding bicycles or motorcycles or jeeps.

You could have a league that is a tank or armored car crew. Look at ways to use Stealth for sneaky commando operations or infiltration. Ambush rules can  be used to simulate that aspect of the war. There are some rules for specific weapons on pages 115 & 116 of the 2nd edition, but you might have to go to the supplement booklet to find the rules for gun crews. I don't see those in the 2nd edition rulebook.
« Last Edit: September 19, 2020, 04:15:09 AM by warrenpeace »

Offline Parkaboy

• Bookworm
« Reply #14 on: September 19, 2020, 12:15:11 PM »
Thanks. Great suggestions!