Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 28, 2024, 02:23:09 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Donate

We Appreciate Your Support

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 1690921
  • Total Topics: 118357
  • Online Today: 657
  • Online Ever: 2235
  • (October 29, 2023, 01:32:45 AM)
Users Online

Recent

Author Topic: The Unbroken Road – Ventures in the Early Roman Empire (UP 10th Nov, p. 5)  (Read 7489 times)

Offline rumacara

• Galactic Brain
  • Zillions of painted miniz!
Splendid. :-* :-* :-*

Offline Muzfish4

• Mad Scientist
I concur superb stuff. Really well done.

Offline Mad Doc Morris

• Mastermind
  • Olympus speaketh?
Re: The Unbroken Road – Ventures in the Early Roman Empire (UP 3th Nov, p. 4)
« Reply #47 on: November 03, 2020, 04:10:18 PM »
Thank you all for taking the time to comment. It kept me going an extra Roman mile. :)
With the basic force 'finished' (as if) I've still got a number of units/groups to add for variety. First off, I chose some slingers.

Not necessarily 'Balearic' since slings were ubiquitous and perhaps also standard equipment of ordinary legionaries. These ones wear red(dish) military cloaks and rather civilian-looking tunics with coloured stripes (hardly visible but they're there).
Like expected they are all Foundry again with one head swap. Hope you like 'em. :)

Offline Burnin Coal

• Mad Scientist
« Reply #48 on: November 03, 2020, 06:42:50 PM »
 :-* very nice figures, great grouping and wonderful brushwork
Figures painted 2020 : 100

Offline Mad Doc Morris

• Mastermind
  • Olympus speaketh?
« Reply #49 on: November 04, 2020, 12:02:37 PM »
Thanks, mate!  :)
I’m no master of this art but minis interacting with each other is one of the things I really like about multibasing.

Offline chema1986

• Scientist
« Reply #50 on: November 04, 2020, 12:36:36 PM »
Outstanding job, congratulations sir !

Offline OSHIROmodels

• Supporting Adventurer
  • Elder God
  • Custom terrain a speciality.
    • Oshiro modelterrain
« Reply #51 on: November 04, 2020, 12:46:55 PM »
They're lovely  :)
cheers

James

https://www.oshiromodels.co.uk/

Twitter account -     @OSHIROmodels
Instagram account - oshiromodels

http://redplanetminiatures.blogspot.co.uk/
http://jimbibblyblog.blogspot.com/

Offline Tas

• Mad Scientist
  • A keen eye for the ridiculous
    • The Man Cave
« Reply #52 on: November 04, 2020, 09:17:42 PM »
Gorgeous work!

Offline Mad Doc Morris

• Mastermind
  • Olympus speaketh?
Re: The Unbroken Road – Ventures in the Early Roman Empire (UP 5th Nov, p. 4)
« Reply #53 on: November 05, 2020, 10:19:59 AM »
Thank you, guys. :)

Classic Roman infantry is all fine and dandy. But I also want a bit of asymmetric warfare. A bolt-shooting scorpio is as high-tech as it gets.

These machines were often deployed mounted on carts. However – speaking from notoriously unreliable first-hand experience – they can also easily be carried by just two men. As always a third one is required to watch the others working. ::)
The idea of using one of the few non-combatants in Foundry's EIR range here was nicked from Tellus. Other bits were scratch-built. The colouring is inspired by a piece reconstructed by Swiss reenactment group Legio XI.

Offline Captain Blood

• Global Moderator
  • Elder God
« Reply #54 on: November 05, 2020, 12:29:30 PM »
Beautiful, Tilman  :-*

I’ve just finished reading Adrian Goldsworthy’s novel ‘Vindolanda’.
I think he’s a better military historian than he is a novelist, although it’s not bad at all. (I have a funny feeling his plot is a blow for blow retread of a 7th cavalry novel I read years ago, the name of which escapes me, but which kept coming back to me as I was reading Vindolanda. Still, I suppose most novels of soldiers guarding wild frontiers include many of the same themes and sorts of episodes. Perhaps it was a North West Frontier novel I’m thinking of... I used to read a lot of those in my youth ::) ;))

Anyway, I mention this because the learned Dr G managed to weave both auxiliary slingers and scorpions into his battle scenes. So it’s nice to see them both modelled so beautifully here, just a few hours after reading about them :)

Offline Tellus

• Scientist
« Reply #55 on: November 05, 2020, 05:20:28 PM »
Both entries are excellent, again. :-* :-*

The idea of using one of the few non-combatants in Foundry's EIR range here was nicked from Tellus.

Until you mentioned it, I just thought, the supervising Optio was part of the unit pack  lol... he fits in perfectly!

Now, as it seems that your reaching the finish line, with the romans - who will be at the pointy end?  :)

Offline Fremitus Borealis

• Scientist
  • Magister Discipulorum
« Reply #56 on: November 05, 2020, 05:47:54 PM »
Beautiful, Tilman  :-*

I’ve just finished reading Adrian Goldsworthy’s novel ‘Vindolanda’.
I think he’s a better military historian than he is a novelist, although it’s not bad at all. (I have a funny feeling his plot is a blow for blow retread of a 7th cavalry novel I read years ago, the name of which escapes me, but which kept coming back to me as I was reading Vindolanda. Still, I suppose most novels of soldiers guarding wild frontiers include many of the same themes and sorts of episodes. Perhaps it was a North West Frontier novel I’m thinking of... I used to read a lot of those in my youth ::) ;))

Anyway, I mention this because the learned Dr G managed to weave both auxiliary slingers and scorpions into his battle scenes. So it’s nice to see them both modelled so beautifully here, just a few hours after reading about them :)

I have similar feelings about Goldsworthy's novels. His battle descriptions are nice, but the plot and dialog are a bit contrived... Almost like he just had to cook up some way to write about "the good stuff"  :D
"Nice try, history; better luck next year."

Offline bluewillow

• Scatterbrained Genius
  • Bluewillow- Matthew Williamson
« Reply #57 on: November 05, 2020, 10:05:16 PM »
Fabulous Tillman, you have inspired me to go back and complete my Legions for the Dacian wars, I under coated 300 28mm Foundry figs today, and will crack on in about four days after I have completed another 28 Gaulois.

Cheers
Matt

Offline Mad Doc Morris

• Mastermind
  • Olympus speaketh?
« Reply #58 on: November 06, 2020, 09:09:28 AM »
Thanks to one and all! :)

I’ve just finished reading Adrian Goldsworthy’s novel ‘Vindolanda’. I think he’s a better military historian than he is a novelist, although it’s not bad at all.

IMHO people with an academic interest very rarely make for good novelists. That's why I also gave up on Harry Sidebottom despite my soft spot for 3rd century Roman history. It often feels dry and too 'deliberate', lacking any kind of engaging narrative. On the other hand, like mentioned earlier, I don't care either for the 'grittiness' and bold historical analogies found in a lot of modern military fiction. Most likely, though, I'm just spoilt and couldn't do better myself.  :D

Now, as it seems that your reaching the finish line, with the romans - who will be at the pointy end?

Dangerous question. ;)
First choice would be Germanic tribes, just haven't yet found a range I like. Close second are Dacians as I've got an interest in them since early youth (see Connolly's books above) and there's another Perry range at hand. Finally, the wars in Judaea are on the cards as well, if arguably not very interesting from a 'battle perspective'.
But I've still to paint a couple of Roman groups anyway…

Fabulous Tillman, you have inspired me to go back and complete my Legions for the Dacian wars, I under coated 300 28mm Foundry figs today, and will crack on in about four days after I have completed another 28 Gaulois.

Good Lord, that kind of output is well beyond my league! But I'm glad you found some incitement here. :)

Offline bluewillow

• Scatterbrained Genius
  • Bluewillow- Matthew Williamson
« Reply #59 on: November 06, 2020, 05:41:09 PM »
I passed the 500 mark for painted 28mm last week for the year, I should complete 90 20mm British this week to make 200 20mm, then back to a commission then onto the Romans mixed in with medievals for some change

All the best

Cheers
Matt