Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 24, 2024, 06:20:58 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Donate

We Appreciate Your Support

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 1690472
  • Total Topics: 118332
  • Online Today: 732
  • Online Ever: 2235
  • (October 29, 2023, 01:32:45 AM)
Users Online

Recent

Author Topic: Solo Mesopotamia 1916 Game Report (Link)  (Read 3350 times)

Offline harmonkeys

• Assistant
  • aka Scott Pasha
Solo Mesopotamia 1916 Game Report (Link)
« on: August 17, 2009, 10:42:11 PM »
Hello all,
On my "Blog" I have posted a report of my latest small game. The setting was WWI Mesopotamia in 1916, Sikh Infantry vs. Ottoman Turks and Arabs. Not up to LAF standards by any means (terrain is "plain-jane", photos are bad) but it may interest some. The game was played using Crossfire rules.
http://scottpasha.blogspot.com/
yours
Scott Pasha

Offline Helen

• The Grey Heron
  • Supporting Adventurer
  • Galactic Brain
Re: Solo Mesopotamia 1916 Game Report (Link)
« Reply #1 on: August 18, 2009, 12:39:29 AM »
Thanks Scott for an excellent report. The photos are good too!

Helen
Best wishes,
Helen
Love many things, for therein lies the true strength, and whosoever loves much performs much, and can accomplish much, and what is done in love is done well (V van Gogh)

Offline Chuckaroobob

• Scientist
« Reply #2 on: August 19, 2009, 03:34:56 AM »
Nice, very nice!  I just finished painting a bunch of Turks and am about to start on the British.  More inspiration to get me moving!
They call me "Point Cow"

Offline Stecal

• Scientist
    • Pictures of my minis
« Reply #3 on: August 19, 2009, 05:34:56 PM »
Thanks for the inspiration!  Working my my Turks & Anzacs also
Clear the battlefield and let me see
All the profit from our victory.

Offline traveller

• Scatterbrained Genius
« Reply #4 on: August 19, 2009, 06:49:56 PM »
Great report! I was just looking for some Sikh inspiration. Thanks!

Offline Calimero

• Supporting Adventurer
  • Galactic Brain
« Reply #5 on: August 19, 2009, 07:55:23 PM »

Thanks for that report 8) I should try solo wargaming some time as I have no opponent near were I live. Are the figures in Arab dress from Artizan?
A CANADIAN local hobby store with a small selection of historical wargames miniatures (mainly from Warlords). They also have a great selection of paint and hobby accessories from Vallejo, Army painter, AK Interactive, Green Stuff World and more.; https://www.kingdomtitans.ca/us/

Offline Plynkes

• The Royal Bastard
  • Elder God
  • I killed Mufasa!
    • http://misterplynkes.blogspot.com/
« Reply #6 on: August 20, 2009, 09:54:52 AM »
Excellent. I would never have thought of using Crossfire for the Great War. Tried it out in its normal WWII mode years ago and my gaming gang just didn't take to it. They couldn't get their heads around it at all. Too new-fangled and different for them, I guess. But I always thought it could have been fun, if they had given it more of a chance.

My nephew is currently obsessed with "Band of Brothers." He is wearing out my DVD boxed set by watching it every time he comes to stay here, and is working his way through the book too. To feed his addiction we are going to have a Crossfire game soon with my old 20mm US paras. Maybe I can persuade him to play a bit of Great War Crossfire too...
With Cat-Like Tread
Upon our prey we steal...

Offline Stecal

• Scientist
    • Pictures of my minis
« Reply #7 on: August 20, 2009, 04:00:33 PM »
I was thinking that "Thru the Mud & the Blood" would also make a good solo set as it uses a card based unit activation system.

Offline harmonkeys

• Assistant
  • aka Scott Pasha
« Reply #8 on: August 23, 2009, 03:46:45 PM »
Normally (at the club) I use Price of Glory, but since I get to run about once every 9 months that's a little frustrating, thus the occasional solo game. Also, I love Crossfire but many of the guys at the club I game at are of the MOST conservative mind sets and Crossfire would go over like a lead balloon. Might try it anyway at some point...
Crossfire is, for me, what Helen calls the Grail. But many people cannot stand it and for the tank-o-philes out there the flawed (yet still very playable and frankly not unrealistic in it's application) armor system is a turn-off. You can learn it once and almost never have to look at the rules again, yet it is the one game that, in my opinion, makes you play with tactics that actually resemble the real thing.

In short, game Band of Brothers with Crossfire and you will be glad, believe me I've done it.

As to the Arabs in the photos: The leader is a Brigade Games figure that Helen B. converted and sent on to me when I bought some figures from her.  That fellow and two more figs in the game were from the old Brigade Games Arab pack in their Palestine range, the others (all the ones in Black or Blue with white kafiyehs (sp?)) are from Battle Honors. Most of the Arab figs that I have painted, until now, are BH.

Just started to paint the new Artizan/Brigade Arabs and they look great.
Thanks for the input
Scott Pasha