Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 28, 2024, 08:34:29 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Donate

We Appreciate Your Support

Recent

Author Topic: Brand New German Colonial line from HLBS Co. in 28mm  (Read 2565 times)

Offline Estorff

• Assistant
  • Eine große Schnurrbart & Pickelhaube sind alle
    • Cornflower Blue & Corduroy: Wargaming the German - Herero & Nama Wars of 1904-1908
Brand New German Colonial line from HLBS Co. in 28mm
« on: October 26, 2020, 09:38:15 PM »
I got a nice note today from Richard Kemp at The Honourable Lead Boilersuit Company that he has reimagined his wonderful discontinued line of 28mm German Colonial figures and after careful research and redesign has released a large number of new figures.  They include Schutztruppe in slouch hats, in field caps and in the 1904 Bortfeldt helmets, Seebataillon in the 1901 Bortfeldt helmets, East African Askaris, and East Asian Expeditionary Forces in helmets and straw hats.  There are infantry figures, command sets, machine gun teams, 5 camel riders, and extra heads wearing different headgear.  The current line is listed here: https://www.hlbs-redux.co.uk/28mm-german-colonial-1895-1918.html

\"crushing the people like this was in equal measure cruel and insane.  One could have saved many of them and their herds, if one had spared them and given them refuge; they had been punished enough.  I suggested this to General von Trotha, but he wanted their complete destruction.\" - L. v.Estorff

Offline Helen

• The Grey Heron
  • Supporting Adventurer
  • Galactic Brain
Re: Brand New German Colonial line from HLBS Co. in 28mm
« Reply #1 on: October 26, 2020, 10:34:12 PM »
Thank you for the news.
Best wishes,
Helen
Love many things, for therein lies the true strength, and whosoever loves much performs much, and can accomplish much, and what is done in love is done well (V van Gogh)

Offline juergen c. olk

• Supporting Adventurer
  • Scatterbrained Genius
« Reply #2 on: October 27, 2020, 06:41:52 AM »
Hers is sample of their figures..I have some of their old line from years ago..the new ones are stunning...I have enough German colonials already..sigh ..or so I thought....darn it...so are so nice...

Offline flatpack

• Mastermind
  • Hiding in the shed
« Reply #3 on: October 27, 2020, 07:28:04 AM »
Very interesting.  ;)
Flatpack

Online Plynkes

• The Royal Bastard
  • Elder God
  • I killed Mufasa!
    • http://misterplynkes.blogspot.com/
« Reply #4 on: October 27, 2020, 09:11:21 AM »
Oh nice. Don't really need any of these, but I kind of want some, especially the askari. I have a couple of camel riders for German Southwest that Hammers gave me a long time ago.I fancy they were from the original version of this range. I made them up into a unit with some from another manufacturer, but those weren't as nice. Maybe it's time to complete my Deutsch-Südwest collection after all these years.

With Cat-Like Tread
Upon our prey we steal...

Offline marco55

• Mastermind
« Reply #5 on: November 07, 2020, 11:38:21 AM »
Nice looking figures.
Mark
« Last Edit: November 07, 2020, 11:42:17 AM by marco55 »

Offline SpaceGoblin

• Librarian
« Reply #6 on: November 07, 2020, 02:07:18 PM »
Interesting. Thanks for the info :)

Offline FlyXwire

• Scientist
« Reply #7 on: November 07, 2020, 04:03:37 PM »
Top Notch!

Any idea how the East Africa Askari might size up to Brigade Games 28s or Tiger Miniatures for these?

Offline WillieB

• Mastermind
  • Gotcha!
« Reply #8 on: November 07, 2020, 04:55:15 PM »
If their old range is anything to go by, they are slimmer than the Brigade ones.
Panic, Chaos and Disorder. My job here is done

Offline Inkpaduta

• Supporting Adventurer
  • Mastermind
« Reply #9 on: November 07, 2020, 06:54:18 PM »
Are they metal or plastic?

Offline Estorff

• Assistant
  • Eine große Schnurrbart & Pickelhaube sind alle
    • Cornflower Blue & Corduroy: Wargaming the German - Herero & Nama Wars of 1904-1908
« Reply #10 on: November 09, 2020, 02:10:30 AM »
I received my shipment of these figures recently, and they are outstanding.  The bodies are metal, the heads and the machine gun ammunition are plastic.  They are extremely well sculpted and finely detailed, a good match for the Copplestone Germans, thinner than Pulp Miniatures but not overly so.  From conversations with Richard, he is going to keep adding to this line and wants to be as accurate in terms of uniform details as possible.  More planned for China, more mounted on horses, and perhaps some truly unique aspects of the German Colonial forces.  I'm sharing some ideas that have long been on my wish list.  Here's hoping for heliographs!

Offline SJWi

• Mastermind
« Reply #11 on: November 09, 2020, 06:13:50 AM »
Estorf, thanks for pointing this range out. I really like the separate heads being in resin. I had a nightmare fixing metal heads onto figures as they just seeemd too heavy. Maybe problem solved! 

Offline italwars

• Mastermind
« Reply #12 on: November 22, 2020, 02:03:36 AM »
I received my shipment of these figures recently, and they are outstanding.  The bodies are metal, the heads and the machine gun ammunition are plastic.  They are extremely well sculpted and finely detailed, a good match for the Copplestone Germans, thinner than Pulp Miniatures but not overly so.  From conversations with Richard, he is going to keep adding to this line and wants to be as accurate in terms of uniform details as possible.  More planned for China, more mounted on horses, and perhaps some truly unique aspects of the German Colonial forces.  I'm sharing some ideas that have long been on my wish list.  Here's hoping for heliographs!
Thanks for the info Estorf ..I’ll certainly order some as I already have the first production ones and apreciate their style...as you re in contact with the owner of this firm could you please lobby for Hereros both mounted and dismounted possibly in ambush stance..I’m sure, from what I see and from what I already have, he could  do the best possible researched figures for those type of soldiers/tribesmen.
« Last Edit: November 22, 2020, 02:05:12 AM by italwars »

Offline juergen c. olk

• Supporting Adventurer
  • Scatterbrained Genius
« Reply #13 on: November 23, 2020, 09:37:00 PM »
Good to hear.