Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 29, 2024, 08:21:34 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Donate

We Appreciate Your Support

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 1686621
  • Total Topics: 118114
  • Online Today: 777
  • Online Ever: 2235
  • (October 29, 2023, 12:32:45 AM)
Users Online

Recent

Author Topic: [Commercial] Fantastic Battles now available  (Read 2315 times)

Offline Irregular Wars Nic

• Mad Scientist
    • Visit the Irregular Wars blog:
[Commercial] Fantastic Battles now available
« on: November 05, 2020, 08:05:18 PM »

Fantastic news! FANTASTIC BATTLES is out now.

A fast-play, mass-battle, tabletop wargaming system for any fantasy setting, Fantastic Battles is available in hardcopy from Amazon, or in digital format from WargameVault.

https://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B08MSJB1C6

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B08MSJB1C6

https://www.amazon.de/dp/B08MSJB1C6

https://www.amazon.fr/dp/B08MSJB1C6

https://www.amazon.jp/dp/B08MSJB1C6

https://www.amazon.com.au/dp/B08MSJB1C6

https://www.wargamevault.com/product/334554/Fantastic-Battles?src=hottest

Earlier discussions and battle reports can be browsed on LAF here: http://leadadventureforum.com/index.php?topic=124511.0

... and you can also join the discussion on the Fantastic Battles facebook group: https://www.facebook.com/groups/313513879678378
« Last Edit: November 05, 2020, 08:07:01 PM by Irregular Wars Nic »

Offline gibby64

• Mad Scientist
  • Temple of the West
    • Temple of the West
Re: [Commercial] Fantastic Battles now available
« Reply #1 on: November 05, 2020, 10:49:21 PM »
As I am a collector of fantasy rules I think I will have to add these to the collection and try them out!
Owner, Temple of the West
www.TempleWest.co

• Mad Scientist
« Reply #2 on: November 05, 2020, 10:53:01 PM »
Thanks gibby64!

Offline fred

• Galactic Brain
    • Miniature Gaming
« Reply #3 on: November 06, 2020, 07:15:26 AM »
Great to see that these have come to completion Nic.

• Mad Scientist
« Reply #4 on: November 06, 2020, 09:05:38 AM »
Cheers Fred.  :)

Offline Pattus Magnus

• Scatterbrained Genius
« Reply #5 on: November 09, 2020, 12:12:53 AM »
I just received my hardcopy this afternoon, and after a quick flip through, I really like what I see! I’m looking forward to reading it carefully and putting some small armies on the table for a play test. I think these rules will also inspire me to finally paint my 15mm fantasy collection!

• Mad Scientist
« Reply #6 on: November 09, 2020, 03:07:11 PM »
Thanks Pattus. Keep us posted with how you get on!

Offline Jan

• Bookworm
  • English isn't my first language. Forgive me. ;)
« Reply #7 on: January 12, 2021, 10:04:01 PM »
Hello Nic,

congratulations to your book!
It looks very good. I like the Layout with its charts and clarity.
I did not test the rules, yet, but crafted some paper proxies and will do it.
Building an army is so easy. Well done!
One can represent anything (but many things will differ just in an attribut +/- 1 or a bit more).
I like the extras like Mishaps (pregame events), impetuous chart, random events.
"Activation out of a bag" is always good for me.
The "ripple of Resolve loss" effect sounds good, too.

As for core mechanics i will see, if it is enough for me. It is very basic/simple, good for big games. Just one throw of dice (but how many is the important thing?  ;) ) for doing damage. That's it.

I have and will have more questions. I learnd english in school, so maybe that's the reason.
Where you want me to post these? I joined the FaceBook Group, too, but here the topic will get on page 1 again. ;)

I'll start here:

I see minor difficulties in the "group movement" and the "charge" parts. I assume thats always the case in such rank & file games.

1)
The rules give you info how to change formation from line into column formation, but how do i go from column into tortoise formation? Minor thing, i'll do what makes sense.

2)
I wonder what happens if there is a group of companys in column formation actually in the middle of a "snake" move (pict. Page 33) and will be charged in that form. What happens? (Orientation of things)

3)
Charge Response - Counter charge
My mounted unit got charged, so the enemy is in basecontact. How can i do a 1/2bw move now with my counter charge? The move sequence is not clear for me.

4)
Risk to attached characters
"Whenever a company with an attached character" loses at least 2 Resolve ... but does not scatter..."
My character joined a company that is part of a group of companys. Group of units share resolve, so no tracking of resolve losses for individual companys in that group, right? So how do i know when to check for the character?

5)
Shooting
It is not mentioned explicit, but it reads like one unit can only shoot at one target, right?

THANK YOU VERY MUCH!
Jan
« Last Edit: January 13, 2021, 11:02:02 PM by Jan »
X-Wing | Oak & Iron | Old West & Sci-Fi Skirmish (WiP)

• Mad Scientist
« Reply #8 on: January 15, 2021, 12:52:36 PM »
Hi Jan,

Thanks for your kind comments, and for the questions - I will try my best to answer them for you here.

1)
The rules give you info how to change formation from line into column formation, but how do i go from column into tortoise formation? Minor thing, i'll do what makes sense.

Yes, the diagrams show the most common formation changes but are not exhaustive. The intention should always be to move the minimum number of companies in the group to allow the new formation change to proceed.

2)
I wonder what happens if there is a group of companys in column formation actually in the middle of a "snake" move (pict. Page 33) and will be charged in that form. What happens? (Orientation of things)

:o That is a very interesting question. In the scores of game played during testing, that is not something that ever occured. The disadvantages to being caught in combat while in column are pretty servere, so players tend not to allow their units to be exposed like that. However, it is theoretically possible. The diagram on p.34 outlines what happens when a combat occurs where the units are unable to conform properly. I would use that as a guid and say that the wheeling column would straighten out to allow full base contact.

3)
Charge Response - Counter charge
My mounted unit got charged, so the enemy is in basecontact. How can i do a 1/2bw move now with my counter charge? The move sequence is not clear for me.

The countercharging unit moves forward 1/2 bw as the charging unit advances - i.e. before contact is made.

4)
Risk to attached characters
"Whenever a company with an attached character" loses at least 2 Resolve ... but does not scatter..."
My character joined a company that is part of a group of companys. Group of units share resolve, so no tracking of resolve losses for individual companys in that group, right? So how do i know when to check for the character?

Resolve is shared across the unit, so if the character joins a company which is part of a group, any time the group loses two or more Resolve, it will lead you to check for the death of the character.

5)
Shooting
It is not mentioned explicit, but it reads like one unit can only shoot at one target, right?

Yes (p.26), a unit must always direct its shooting against the nearest eligible target (except artillery which may choose a target). As in the diagrams on p.27 that means that there may be times when some companies within a group are unable to shoot because of line-of-sight or range issues. You can never split a single unit's shooting dice between different targets.

I hope that is helpful. Please let me know if you have any other queries.

Cheers,

Nic

Offline Jan

• Bookworm
  • English isn't my first language. Forgive me. ;)
« Reply #9 on: January 15, 2021, 11:00:22 PM »
Thank you very much Nic! That helped. 

I played a solo game with proxies now.

Here is one situation out of it:

The Skeletons charged the Stegadon (Tricera...), but no, can't do that because of the Skinks (little Lizards). I can't conform with the skinks, so i am not allowed to touch their bases, too.

Question:

1) If the skinks were (by accident) in perfect distance / orientation (i.e. between them and the stegadon was an axect gap of 1bw) would it be possible to charge both units? Can't see anything against it.

2) After reading page 34 again (i have a harcopy btw) i would say in the above situation (Picture) i would have to pull the stegadon forwards a bit, so that it is possible for the skeletons to touch it's base, wihtou touching the skink bases. Would you agree?
A bit like 3mm or is 1/2 bw required?

Thanks again,
Jan

• Mad Scientist
« Reply #10 on: January 19, 2021, 06:54:54 PM »
Hi Jan,

There are two different ways of dealing with that particular situation. If the Stegadon was able to countercharge, then it would do so, bringing the entire combat 1/2 base width forward of the skink line and removing any issue.

However, presuming it cannot countercharge, the skeletons counld charge the skinks, thereby forcing the stegadon to shift its position to conform (as on p.34).

Cheers, (and keep the questions coming)

Nic