Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 19, 2024, 11:14:00 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Donate

We Appreciate Your Support

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 1689657
  • Total Topics: 118288
  • Online Today: 681
  • Online Ever: 2235
  • (October 29, 2023, 01:32:45 AM)
Users Online

Recent

Author Topic: Troops on Parade - 28mm Spanish Civil War  (Read 1970 times)

Offline Yarkshire Gamer

• Mad Scientist
  • Yarkshire Gamer
    • Yarkshire Gamer
Troops on Parade - 28mm Spanish Civil War
« on: December 06, 2020, 03:49:25 PM »

https://yarkshiregamer.blogspot.com/2020/12/troops-on-parade-28mm-spanish-civil-war.html

With nothing happening on the gaming front due to the continued outbreak of Phobon Plague there was plenty of time to put together a Troops on Parade feature.

This time it's the turn of the 28mm Spanish Civil War collection to get the spotlight.

Started mostly because I really like the figures (own up who hasn't done that !) My knowledge of the period was pretty limited, but along with the number of figures, my interest has grown and grown and the more I learn about SCW the more it fascinates me.

We have our own set of rules which I think (I would I wrote them !) give a real period flavour, it's definitely a highlight of the gaming year putting on a SCW game. A real shame it has such low popularity amongst gamers, it has a lot to offer.

Pop down the blog for a ton of photos of the units along with the now standard Utubes video.

At the end of the piece I start to think about the future of the blog. Do I carry it on ? In all likelihood yes, but probably in a changed format, hits are massively down on many posts and that traffic seems to be migrating to other Social Media. I think it's a general trend, just typing out loud.

Regards Ken
The Yarkshire Gamer
"Glittering prizes and endless compromises,  shatter the illusion of integrity"
http://yarkshiregamer.blogspot.co.uk

Offline has.been

• Galactic Brain
Re: Troops on Parade - 28mm Spanish Civil War
« Reply #1 on: December 06, 2020, 05:15:57 PM »
Impressive.

Offline mikos khan

• Mad Scientist
« Reply #2 on: December 06, 2020, 06:12:07 PM »
Nicely done!  I especially like the tank camo scheme.   

Offline Driscoles

• The Dude
  • Galactic Brain
« Reply #3 on: December 06, 2020, 08:14:04 PM »
A very happy Empress Miniatures customer  ;)
Great Collection! Really cool.
, ,

Offline nicknorthstar

• Supporting Adventurer
  • Scatterbrained Genius
« Reply #4 on: December 06, 2020, 08:40:01 PM »
Hi Ken

I had a similar SCW 'froth' years ago. It was so long ago I bought my figures from Anglian Miniatures not Empress  :o I read loads of books, as well as histories I read Hemmingway, Orwell and Lee's writings, it all got quite high brow by my normal standards.

All the figures are packed away in cases, I find it frustrating I can't use all my collections, every day.

Maudling aside, those random Moors and IB figures I had made were a purely selfish project. I wanted to refight Jarama, and there isn't enough variety in the Empress range for the hundreds I needed. They also have specific poses (every 8th IB figure would have been kneeling loading wearing glasses). I wanted more neutral 'rifleman advancing' to build the armies up.

The picture below is the game at Salute. I used Warhammer Historical's Great War rules to refight it. Bit stylised but good fun.

« Last Edit: December 06, 2020, 08:53:26 PM by nicknorthstar »

Offline Yarkshire Gamer

• Mad Scientist
  • Yarkshire Gamer
    • Yarkshire Gamer
« Reply #5 on: December 06, 2020, 11:17:21 PM »
Hi Ken

I had a similar SCW 'froth' years ago. It was so long ago I bought my figures from Anglian Miniatures not Empress  :o I read loads of books, as well as histories I read Hemmingway, Orwell and Lee's writings, it all got quite high brow by my normal standards.

All the figures are packed away in cases, I find it frustrating I can't use all my collections, every day.

Maudling aside, those random Moors and IB figures I had made were a purely selfish project. I wanted to refight Jarama, and there isn't enough variety in the Empress range for the hundreds I needed. They also have specific poses (every 8th IB figure would have been kneeling loading wearing glasses). I wanted more neutral 'rifleman advancing' to build the armies up.

The picture below is the game at Salute. I used Warhammer Historical's Great War rules to refight it. Bit stylised but good fun.

Those few figs you had done were a great help building my Brigadista and Moors up to so it definitely helped us out.

SCW is a big favourite here at Yarkshire Gamer and we usually have at least one game a year, we'd do more if we had less collections of figures  lol

Regards Ken
The Yarkshire Gamer

Offline Lord Raglan

• Scatterbrained Genius
  • Abergavenny
« Reply #6 on: December 07, 2020, 12:04:32 AM »
I am never surprised at the depth of your collections anymore  :-*

Offline Yarkshire Gamer

• Mad Scientist
  • Yarkshire Gamer
    • Yarkshire Gamer
« Reply #7 on: December 07, 2020, 06:22:01 AM »
I am never surprised at the depth of your collections anymore  :-*

Many thanks Gareth

Offline fred

• Galactic Brain
    • Miniature Gaming
« Reply #8 on: December 07, 2020, 12:21:13 PM »
Another great set of figures, Ken. I can see why you want to get them out for more games!

I think for many of us SCW is one of those interesting periods, but too close to WWI or WWII to justify collecting another army. As I certainly have far more armies than ever get on the table.

Offline leadfool

• Mastermind
« Reply #9 on: December 09, 2020, 08:01:19 AM »
Wow, That is an impressive collection!
FOUNDER OF THE D'ISREALI ARMY

Democracy is two wolves and a lamb deciding what to have for lunch.  Liberty is a well armed Lamb, contesting the vote.
B Franklin.    ----