Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 27, 2024, 11:03:18 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Donate

We Appreciate Your Support

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 1690846
  • Total Topics: 118356
  • Online Today: 861
  • Online Ever: 2235
  • (October 29, 2023, 01:32:45 AM)
Users Online

Recent

Author Topic: Dwarf Ballista - UD 27/12 the GW metal ballista  (Read 3034 times)

Offline Silent Invader

• Galactic Brain
Re: Dwarf Ballista
« Reply #15 on: December 17, 2020, 07:59:48 AM »
That’s good to know  8)
My LAF Gallery is HERE
Minis (foot & mounted) finished in 2024 = 32
(2023 = 151; 2022 = 204; 2021 = 123; 2020 = ???)

Offline andyskinner

• Bookworm
« Reply #16 on: December 18, 2020, 01:38:14 PM »
I have one of the GW ones and added a better base with some square dowels.

But I also have one of these from Zvezda:
http://www.plasticsoldierreview.com/review.aspx?id=356

This is very similar, but bigger.  I have large bolts in it, but imagine them throwing either those or iron balls.  I made a little raised thing for a dwarf to stand on so he can reach on top, and took the axes off a Gimli figure, so he is pulling the trigger rope with one hand and holding another bolt in the other.  There was a mistake there, because I first put the extra bolt into Gimli's raised hand.  Only later did I pose him next to the bolt thrower and realize he should be holding the extra bolt down, and the raised hand should be firing the bolt already in the machine.  I moved the bolt, but it did not go in as smoothly as the first hand, and if I'd done it right the first time it would have looked better.

I do have some pictures, but not in most recent painting stages.  You can see both ballistae in these pictures, but the big one is the one from Zvezda.
https://photos.app.goo.gl/KqnTu1LQ9PaRbvAE7

The odd-looking dwarf was a zombie dwarf slinger (throwing skulls) from a Ganesha Games kickstarter.  I patched up some holes and replaced his skulls with iron balls and decided to just go with his wild look.  I call him Crazy Erni.

andy

Offline metalface13

• Scientist
« Reply #17 on: December 18, 2020, 03:38:18 PM »
From the item description on the GW site:
This is a resin cast kit, and contains 5 components and a sprue of four 25mm round bases with which to make 1 Dwarf Ballista and 2 crew.

If it is a resin model, they will call it out. If it's plastic, they will call it out. If it is a metal model they will not mention what material it is made out of.

Offline Silent Invader

• Galactic Brain
« Reply #18 on: December 18, 2020, 03:48:22 PM »
@andy
I like what you’ve done there - great job 8)
I did consider that one but could only find at prices close to that for the GW version. Btw I realised it was big when I saw it pictured against a 1/72 mini, which it is scaled for :o

@MF
Thanks  :) Obvs I looked at the description but just wanted to be sure - GW have since replied to my query and yes the kit is 100% resin. The irony is that I am now spending more than the cost of that kit on LOTR metal minis to convert to Ballista crew.  :D

Offline Silent Invader

• Galactic Brain
Re: Dwarf Ballista - UD 18/12 stars for Dragons Rampant?
« Reply #19 on: December 18, 2020, 04:26:41 PM »
So, how to treat a Ballista (a Dwarf Ballista shooting round metal shot, no less!) in Dragons Rampant?

Some players seem to treat them as a Heavy Missile unit, which is ordinarily armoured bows, etc. But the stats of both of the DR missile units are geared to a larger body of minis, each also having aggressive melee capability. Aggressive melee is inconsistent with the role of such a support weapon, so I’ve also considered  carrying over the gun starts from The Pikeman’s Lament.

I envisage such a Ballista as having significantly more power than a hand-drawn bow or crossbow, so taking effort to prep and shoot but when it goes off to plan, it does so with accuracy and impact. I’m therefore inclined to something like the following:

Dwarf Ballista
costs 4 unit points
has 6 strength points
activates to shoot on 8+
hits up to 12” on 3+
hits up to 36” on 4+
can move up to 6”
no aggressive melee capability

Versus:

Heavy Missiles
costs 4 unit points
has 12 strength points
activates to shoot on 7+
hits up to 12” on 4+
hits up to 18” on 5+
can move up to 6”
aggressive melee capability

Offline metalface13

• Scientist
« Reply #20 on: December 18, 2020, 04:45:39 PM »
It's possible that ballista had an original metal release. GW converted over a lot of the LotR range to resin but then they also made new models in resin.

Offline Silent Invader

• Galactic Brain
« Reply #21 on: December 18, 2020, 05:45:15 PM »
It's possible that ballista had an original metal release. GW converted over a lot of the LotR range to resin but then they also made new models in resin.

Yes it did. I tracked it down to 2007. The Ballista looks a bit small but I’m hoping the one mini I’ve been able to find is nice.

http://www.collecting-citadel-miniatures.com/wiki/index.php/Khazad-Dum

Offline Ethelred the Almost Ready

• Mastermind
« Reply #22 on: December 18, 2020, 06:32:09 PM »
My take on Heavy Missiles is that the projectile is Heavy, not the soldiers (they are not armoured), although it probably suits heavy cross bows and simple black powder weapons. The worse stat for activating to fire reflects the slower fire rate.
Your stats for the ballista are interesting, but activating on a 8+ you might only get a single activation in a game.

Offline Silent Invader

• Galactic Brain
« Reply #23 on: December 18, 2020, 08:25:02 PM »
My take on Heavy Missiles is that the projectile is Heavy, not the soldiers (they are not armoured), although it probably suits heavy cross bows and simple black powder weapons. The worse stat for activating to fire reflects the slower fire rate.
Your stats for the ballista are interesting, but activating on a 8+ you might only get a single activation in a game.

I agree with you regarding it being the missiles that are heavy. Mersey describes the class as “not well armoured nor particularly useful in hand-to-hand combat”. Mine have a lightly armoured aesthetic but they can initiate melee (even if one would only do so in extremis).  I’ve taken the 8+ for the Ballista from TPL and yes, getting an activation is a rarity  :o :D

Offline Luigi

• Scientist
« Reply #24 on: December 19, 2020, 01:01:38 AM »
@andy
I like what you’ve done there - great job 8)
I did consider that one but could only find at prices close to that for the GW version. Btw I realised it was big when I saw it pictured against a 1/72 mini, which it is scaled for :o

I love Zvezda artillery, and want to get a bunch for my dwarfs as well, I have your same issues though and can never find some of their artillery at a really affordable price.

Offline Silent Invader

• Galactic Brain
Re: Dwarf Ballista - UD 27/12 the GW metal ballista
« Reply #25 on: December 27, 2020, 10:15:25 PM »
In case anyone is interested, the GW metal ballista popped up on eBay. I didn’t bid for it as, courtesy of Akula, I have a substitute to work with.

Offline Ultravanillasmurf

• Galactic Brain
    • Ultravanillasmurf
Re: Dwarf Ballista - UD 27/12 the GW metal ballista
« Reply #26 on: December 27, 2020, 10:25:02 PM »
That looks a bit hairy.

I am hoping Our Gracious Hosts will add some artillery to their Oathmark range.