Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 25, 2024, 09:26:48 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Donate

We Appreciate Your Support

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 1690618
  • Total Topics: 118340
  • Online Today: 866
  • Online Ever: 2235
  • (October 29, 2023, 01:32:45 AM)
Users Online

Recent

Author Topic: 20mm Pulp; adding stuff on a contineous base - 30/4 update  (Read 17005 times)

Offline ketoeloeh

• Librarian
    • Golden Goblin Gaming Group
20mm Pulp; adding stuff on a contineous base - 30/4 update
« Reply #15 on: April 25, 2007, 07:22:36 PM »
I agree with Johan's statements, but I'd like to add that, in the end, this is Alex' website. So as far as I'm concerned, his word is law. Maybe he can share his vision and/or wishes?
Golden Goblin by day & night, Great Old One after hours!

Offline Gunbird

• Scatterbrained Genius
  • With miniatures, anything is possible!
    • 20mm and then some
« Reply #16 on: April 25, 2007, 07:41:39 PM »
Wow, wasn't expecting this many replies.....

First, when I joined I specifically asked Alex if I should not post anything with Swastika's as this is a German site. he said, yes please.

So I blacked out the armbands on my pulp guys, only to find that some other posters in between then and now just showed them without censoring them. Struck me as kind of odd.

Come to think of it, I should have blotted out the symbol on the 109 as well, oh well.

Anyway, I'm a guest here, and I submit to the owners law, if he says no, it's no. Period.

Johan

(Btw, to the other Johan from Antwerp,  Johan from the TSA I assume?)
Who is Gunbird? Johan van Ooij, Dutch, Mercenary Gamer, no longer mobile and happy to live life while it lasts >> http://20mmandthensome.blogspot.com/

Offline Prof.Witchheimer

• Elder God
    • Back of Beyond
« Reply #17 on: April 25, 2007, 07:50:40 PM »
Generally speaking it's better not to show the swastika on the pics in this forum. But I won't certainly run after each swastika appearance here and remove it. I think common sense will help you to decide what to show and what not.

Offline Prof.Witchheimer

• Elder God
    • Back of Beyond
« Reply #18 on: April 25, 2007, 08:01:41 PM »
Quote from: "wayswatcher"

So I blacked out the armbands on my pulp guys, only to find that some other posters in between then and now just showed them without censoring them.

Thanks for removing. I'm not really a fan of censoring. I dont think that the occasional posting of the swastika would make us troubles. But be sure I will not allow the posting of it on regular basis.

But i know, the setting of clear rules is better. I will think about.

Offline zbyshko

• Scientist
« Reply #19 on: April 26, 2007, 02:26:16 AM »
Quote from: "Prof.Witchheimer"
I think common sense will help you to decide what to show and what not.

Common Sense?  there are Yanks here (self-inclusive), right?  we don't get Common Sense in school, we're taught "When offended, Litigate!  It's why God created lawyers."  :lol:

i jest of course.  i find this hobby, on all geo-political fronts, attracts a more rational following - all our money goes to lead not lawyers!  and we tend to see history's trappings and images as enjoyable, lampoonable and "gameable".  take for instance the Pulp interests we all seem to have: the true bigotted half wit would think it history and true about the Red Menace, the Vodoo Shaman out for Whitey, etc and never enjoy the hilarity in the genre!

i paint with a broad brush here, and make many generalities but, never with Common Sense.  the Common Man doesn't vote or read (or game*).  that alone makes us Uncommon Men (and Women!   8)  ).

* if the COmmon Man gamed more, then i and another aquaintance would not have had to close our own (each) game stores ... but i won't cry over that ... much.
\"I drank WHAT!?!\" - Socrates

Offline Gunbird

• Scatterbrained Genius
    • 20mm and then some
« Reply #20 on: April 28, 2007, 12:31:33 AM »
I have edited out the Swastika of the plane, just for consistency sake and cause I felt I should.

No progress pics for today, but I have added magnets to the prop and to the bottom for the catapult attachment.

Can't seem to decide where I want to put the grappling hook, on the nose or just behind the cockpit

Alos magnetised the prop on the floatplane and did some more work on finishing the engine on that one. And I dropped the aircraft on the floot. Only broke the tailwheel, it's....somewehere  :oops:

Johan

Offline Gunbird

• Scatterbrained Genius
    • 20mm and then some
« Reply #21 on: April 28, 2007, 11:22:54 AM »
And another small update.

Picked up a few extendable arials for 50 cents and been toying with them for stands, sanded the tip of one down and added a rare earth magnet. Now all I need to do is make a base for it, so I've nabbed me an old CD. Should be a proper size, and with some MDF for slotting the stand in it should be ok.

Glued a magnet to the bottom of the aircraft as well, and added some length to the nose (by accident) as the prop is now magbased too. When she is done I'll make me a clear acetate prop as well.

Still pondering on the hook, in front of the cockpit or behind it........

And the pics:

I filled around the magnet with liquid sprue, so that thing is there to stay

Johan

PS She sure looks patchy, blown up to twice her size. And I sure am blessed, such an amazing wealth of aircraft kits available for hours and hours of fun...

Offline Westfalia Chris

• Cardboard Warlord
  • Administrator
  • Galactic Brain
  • Elaborate! Elucidate! Evaluate!
« Reply #22 on: April 28, 2007, 11:48:36 AM »
Nice-y!

A note on the coupling hook: now, we all know pulp isnīt about realism, but I guess it would be the sensible thing to place the hook where the pilot can see it, ie in front of the canopy...

... of course, in Crimson Skies, all hooks are retractable.

Offline Plynkes

• The Royal Bastard
  • Elder God
  • I killed Mufasa!
    • http://misterplynkes.blogspot.com/
« Reply #23 on: April 28, 2007, 11:54:11 AM »
Here's how it would go on the real thing:

A job to know how to convert that to a mono-plane, though. It's going to be right in the pilot's face! (But then I suppose it already is on the biplane version, too.)

You could have the base of the hook behind the cockpit, but have the hook itself arching forward over his head, so he can see the front of it to line up his "landing" (or whatever you call it).
With Cat-Like Tread
Upon our prey we steal...

Offline Gunbird

• Scatterbrained Genius
    • 20mm and then some
« Reply #24 on: April 28, 2007, 11:56:44 AM »
Ah, the Makon taxi service system  :lol:

We'll see, I have the 2 options, and just need to embed a magnet where I want it and make 2 hooks, 1 extended and 1 retracted.

Thx for the comments.

Johan

Offline Gunbird

• Scatterbrained Genius
    • 20mm and then some
« Reply #25 on: April 29, 2007, 11:47:37 PM »
And just traded a load of micro armour for a (semi armoured) HO scale train plus carts, some V2 and V1 rockets and other assorted late war stuff.

Also managed to find my missing B&B miniatures...hideous and Mr. Potatoheaded as they are, they will be painted too eventually, the Gestapo and goons are just to appealing not to.

And to equip various airfields i won 2 lots with over 40 made aircraft in need of some love and care.....don't ask why......

Johan

Offline Gunbird

• Scatterbrained Genius
    • 20mm and then some
« Reply #26 on: May 08, 2007, 07:34:05 AM »
I've decided to skip the aircraft mounted clamp and go for a zeppelin mounted clamp the little blighters have to dock with ....and it will then clamp on the wings. If I switch them around they make great drop racks for the fighters too (like the Starfuries in Babylon 5). I'll make 1 or more of these racks on a later date, now I'm looking at a few aircraft catapults for the Imperial Japanese Navy for that (saves me a boatload of time scratchbuilding one, and u usually get a nice floatplane with it to boot.

Which means that beside a small bit of sanding and making or finding the correct spinner and clearsheet to make a moving spinner and plugging in het tailwheel, she is now ready to be basecoated, yahoo! :D

Johan

Offline Gunbird

• Scatterbrained Genius
    • 20mm and then some
« Reply #27 on: May 16, 2007, 10:29:14 PM »
Another smallish update

I have to paint the underside, give a number on the other wing, do a free hand wasp on the nose, etc etc....u get the idea.

Johan

Offline PeteMurray

• Parapsychologist
  • Scatterbrained Genius
  • Cardinal Murray
« Reply #28 on: May 17, 2007, 12:20:54 PM »
That is an adorable plane. You've been very busy lately!

Offline Gunbird

• Scatterbrained Genius
    • 20mm and then some
« Reply #29 on: August 25, 2007, 09:51:14 PM »
April huh? Time flies.

Having 30 projects at once means I have plenty of variation. Or too much, you be the judge.

So here is a minor update, didnt do the entire tail yet as I'm still undecisive about the swastika. Though at the moment its 90% jay and 10% nay.

After this its on to the streaks of green, then the streaks of dark grey and then a few flecks of bare aluminium. Base and done. (I make it sound so fast and easy now  :roll:  )

Johan