Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 28, 2024, 04:04:14 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Donate

We Appreciate Your Support

Recent

Author Topic: Best 10mm Macedonian Phalanx  (Read 1224 times)

Offline Szary

• Assistant
Best 10mm Macedonian Phalanx
« on: January 24, 2021, 06:34:01 AM »
I'm considering to add some Macedonians to my 10mm Men of Bronze project. Whilst my generic/Theban hoplites are still far from complete, I ended up with superficial support troops and could easily create another army with as little as three stands of phalangites.

Still, I would aim for either all pikes upwards "marching" (well-transportable and convenient for basing) or a three-rank simplified representation of an actual formation (not really convenient and would create at least a base worth of "dead" space in front of it due to model size).

I also want to go with historical sarissa length, so making them from a cut wire may be the best option in the long run, because of earned sturdiness.

Here comes my usual supplier, Newline Designs, who have a single pack of phalanx, all with cast sarissa at 45-degree angle. I'm not sure about their length (seem to be on a reasonable-short side), so would appreciate measurements. Most of my project is Newline, but here I may pass.

Magister Militum is not only pricy, but their sarissas, while depicted in magnificent full length, look bendy as hell.

Pendraken had mixed pose pack with gaps for the wire, not anymore through. Hard to find pictures also. Shame, because from my experience they mix acceptably with Newline.

What are your experiences and recommendations?

Offline fred

• Galactic Brain
    • Miniature Gaming
Re: Best 10mm Macedonian Phalanx
« Reply #1 on: January 24, 2021, 09:14:25 AM »
All the current Pendraken Greeks have photos  https://pendraken.co.uk/ancients/classical-600-220bc/greek/  but do seem to have cast on pikes

If you want a single pose, then Pendraken will do custom orders.

Offline FierceKitty

• Mastermind
Re: Best 10mm Macedonian Phalanx
« Reply #2 on: July 09, 2021, 12:33:28 PM »
Hadn't noticed this. I dislike bendy spears, but have been happy with the Newline Macedonians; sturdy but not telegraph poles. The shields are a bit bigger too, which is a bonus in painting.
The laws of probability do not apply to my dice in wargames or to my finesses in bridge.