Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 25, 2024, 08:09:48 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Donate

We Appreciate Your Support

Recent

Author Topic: Warhammer 40k 2nd edition project  (Read 1828 times)

Offline Sir_Theo

• Mastermind
Warhammer 40k 2nd edition project
« on: February 12, 2021, 12:16:38 PM »
Like many gamers my age (40), particularly coming from the UK, my introduction to wargaming came from Heroquest- reached through a neighbours copy of the D&D red box and Fighting Fantasy books, and this led to Games Workshop games dominating my teenage years.

I mainly played Fantasy, Man o War (best game ever) and Epic (Space Marine and Titan Legions- the 2nd best game!) But I did have a copy of the 2nd edition 40k box and used to occasionally play with some school friends, it wasn't my main interest though.

A few years ago I was sorting some stuff that had come from my Mums attic and came across my Dark Millennium expansion box, which had all the rule books and bits and pieces (templates, sustained fire dice etc) inside. Flicking through the rulebooks sparked something in me. I picked up some minis from ebay, dug out my small 40k collection and started to paint the models. Something about painting the models of this era really satisfies me. And I found that bargains were to be had- that a lot of things 14 year old me had seen with envy in old copies of White Dwarf were now within my grasp. And so my collection grew, and I thought I'd share these with you all! I'm not the greatest painter but I'm getting great satisfaction with this project in particular.

After 2020 I've been trying to rationalise my lead pile a little so I've been cracking on with the armies I've collected so far. So far the Space Wolves, Lamenter space marines (a home for my old space marine models including my RTB01 beakies) and Necrons are finished...or very nearly.

Next up is a very large Eldar army, a similarly large Ork army, and a much more modest Genestealer cult force. Sprinkled among a lot of these armies are non GW models, generally age appropriate.  Some later 40k models have also crept in but largely im keeping contemporary. 

I hope you enjoy! As more things reach completion I'll share those too.

Offline AdmiralAndy

• Scientist
Re: Warhammer 40k 2nd edition project
« Reply #1 on: February 12, 2021, 01:28:26 PM »
Great looking collection.

With the Codexs looks like the only ones your missing is the Assassins one and the Sisters of Battle, the Necrons were done as a Chapter Approved in White Dwarfs from 217 I think.

I think your path to wargaming was very similar to myself but being a smidge older (50), there was no Heroquest or Man-o-War and it was Rogue Trader in place of 2nd ed otherwise it was the same path I walked down Red box D&D and Fighting Fantasy. Caverns of the Snow Witch was my favourite.

Offline Sir_Theo

• Mastermind
« Reply #2 on: February 12, 2021, 01:42:41 PM »
I've got the Assasins one somewhere, and the WD editions for Necrons. I need to find them though! I also have a friend who has the Angels of Death (Blood Angels/Dark Angels) that im taking off his hand once I can meet up with him. I do need the Sisters, and the Chaos one too. The problem is that once I get them it'll probably lead to further expense on ebay!

I find as I get older the lure of nostalgia is stronger. I recently read all of the Lone Wolf books through project aon as well as playing the Sorcery! App (which are a  fantastic implementation of the books I must say)

I also have a similar project to this linked to WHFB 2nd and 3rd ed. One thing at a time though!

Offline AdmiralAndy

• Scientist
« Reply #3 on: February 12, 2021, 02:20:36 PM »
I've got the Assasins one somewhere, and the WD editions for Necrons. I need to find them though! I also have a friend who has the Angels of Death (Blood Angels/Dark Angels) that im taking off his hand once I can meet up with him. I do need the Sisters, and the Chaos one too. The problem is that once I get them it'll probably lead to further expense on ebay!

I find as I get older the lure of nostalgia is stronger. I recently read all of the Lone Wolf books through project aon as well as playing the Sorcery! App (which are a  fantastic implementation of the books I must say)

I also have a similar project to this linked to WHFB 2nd and 3rd ed. One thing at a time though!

I had missed the Angels and Chaos Codexs missing. There's a few facebook groups for 2nd ed you might want to find, they have some additional data files from some of the other publications such as the Armourcast Inquisitor and data faxes, plus the Battle Bible and some slick looking codecs for the Tau and the 'Yellow' Squat codex that is well regarded.

As regards further expansion, looks like your heading that way anyways  ;D

I'm also feeling the draw of nostalgia, so great to see a thread like this :)

Offline Sir_Theo

• Mastermind
« Reply #4 on: February 13, 2021, 02:49:05 PM »
A sneak peak on whats next for this project.

Offline majorsmith

• Scatterbrained Genius
« Reply #5 on: February 13, 2021, 10:40:32 PM »
Lovely stuff

Offline Battle Brush Sigur

• Mastermind
  • Brush-for-Hire
« Reply #6 on: February 15, 2021, 11:44:08 AM »
Cool stuff. I'm way in to 2nd edition (not too hard either, considering what came after it ;) ). To see a Lamenters army alone is pretty darned nice. Looking forward to seeing these genestealer cult dudes!

Offline Storm Wolf

• Mad Scientist
« Reply #7 on: February 15, 2021, 12:04:31 PM »
Well good luck chaps!

I`m back into Rogue Trader, the actual rules themselves are quite light, it`s all the extra stuff where it gets a bit mad, but as the current situation is more than a bit bonkers it`s perfect  lol

Old Skool is the way to go ;)

Glen
Only the insane have strength enough to prosper. Only those who prosper may truly judge what is sane.

Offline Sir_Theo

• Mastermind
« Reply #8 on: February 23, 2021, 08:10:17 PM »
So the next army to get based and the last bits of painting done was the Genestealer cult. Im going to pick up some vehicles for them at some point. The army is a mixture of actual old models, the new plastics and some Macrocosm notGSC. The whole thing was just an excuse to buy the Disco Patriarch with his medallion, which is a model I love. Even more than the one in the throne!

Offline Sir_Theo

• Mastermind
« Reply #9 on: February 23, 2021, 08:11:43 PM »
And the next job is attaching Perry samurai back banners to Eldar aspect warriors.