Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 29, 2024, 02:11:05 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Donate

We Appreciate Your Support

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 1686604
  • Total Topics: 118111
  • Online Today: 626
  • Online Ever: 2235
  • (October 29, 2023, 12:32:45 AM)
Users Online

Recent

Author Topic: Legends of the Ruined City skirmish rules - Updated 8 March - Mounted Troops  (Read 2248 times)

Offline amunptah

• Bookworm
Based on the Warhammer Historical - Legends of the High Seas rules (itself based on the Lord of the Rings Strategy Battle Game) I present my Mordheim hack skirmish rules, in first draft form. These include the basic rules, equipment, a Common Magic spell list and stats for mercenary warbands. I’ll add more warbands and spells over the next few weeks.
Please let me know your comments and thoughts!
https://docs.google.com/document/d/1rycHH3c_GCHf7s9huTIq8yOZJ6hgJ50DrvverRqK1DA/edit
« Last Edit: March 08, 2021, 04:13:34 PM by amunptah »

Offline v_lazy_dragon

• Mastermind
Re: Legends of the Ruined City skirmish rules - First draft
« Reply #1 on: February 18, 2021, 06:49:59 AM »
Looking good so far! This might be the fantasy skirmish game I didn't know I was looking for :)
Xander
Army painters thread: leadadventureforum.com/index.php?topic=56540.msg671536#new
WinterApoc thread: leadadventureforum.com/index.php?topic=50815.0

Offline amunptah

• Bookworm
« Reply #2 on: February 18, 2021, 10:43:28 AM »
Thanks! I’ve been conscious to try and strip out the GW lore aspects, especially as the minis are harder to come by now. I play in 15mm too, so the majority of minis are metal and harder to customise, so I want the warband options to be free enough to suit whatever minis people have.

Offline Bloggard

• Scatterbrained Genius
« Reply #3 on: February 18, 2021, 10:56:49 AM »
liking the look of these a lot.

your including variation and uncertainty in terms of the 'agile movment' opportunities immediately has me warming to the rules - just the sort of thing I want to see and helps add in interest and narrative content to a game.

* the 'winning the fight' roll elelment is an interesting approach. Would have to playtest that to get a feel for how it works 'narratively'.

You say these are ultimately based on the Lotr strat. batt game - which I'm not familiar with ...

Anyhow, do please keep posting the updates here.

The rules really do look good, and are timely for me, as I have continued to struggle in finding a set to focus on, while feeling that 'they' got an awful lot right with Mordheim to being with, if only the proprietory GW focus could be minimised etc, which it appears is your aim.
« Last Edit: February 18, 2021, 11:12:40 AM by Bloggard »

Offline amunptah

• Bookworm
« Reply #4 on: February 18, 2021, 11:48:03 AM »
Thanks!
The Winning the Fight and movement rules are in the original High Seas rules. I just expanded them out to incorporate the Mordheim style terrain and weapons. I like the interlaced initiative concept, and the simultaneous nature of the combat, so people aren’t just standing around getting hit and waiting for their turn to hit back. If you are in combat, you either went in with a plan, or someone got the jump on you.
The backing off rule  means that you don’t get bogged down in a slogging match. If you are trying to slow someone down, you have to do it with numbers, and manoeuvring them into a bad position.

Offline Clearco

• Supporting Adventurer
  • Mad Scientist
    • Clearco Miniatures
« Reply #5 on: February 18, 2021, 01:34:45 PM »
I have been looking for a less clumsy version of Mordheim for ages and that sounds great! Thank you!  :-*

Offline Bloggard

• Scatterbrained Genius
« Reply #6 on: February 18, 2021, 02:42:26 PM »
Thanks!
The Winning the Fight and movement rules are in the original High Seas rules. I just expanded them out to incorporate the Mordheim style terrain and weapons. I like the interlaced initiative concept, and the simultaneous nature of the combat, so people aren’t just standing around getting hit and waiting for their turn to hit back. If you are in combat, you either went in with a plan, or someone got the jump on you.
The backing off rule  means that you don’t get bogged down in a slogging match. If you are trying to slow someone down, you have to do it with numbers, and manoeuvring them into a bad position.

right - I see.

I think my slight reservation re: 'winning the fight' is that sometimes, narratively you want a toe-to-toe slugfest - with the player deciding / role-playing what the character / figure does, all other rules notwithstanding; hence my comment about playtesting and seeing how it pans out in practice.
I wonder - is it worth giving a player the option to declare the figure 'wont give ground / quarter' before the start of a melee and creating attendent rules / penalties / bonuses accordingly ...?

But above all I really like what you're doing- and will happily pay for a copy when you get to that stage (if your intention is to charge for a final copy).

Offline amunptah

• Bookworm
« Reply #7 on: February 18, 2021, 02:54:37 PM »
I think the narrative option is there depending on if one side or the other wins, or there is a standoff. That shows if a character has gained the upper hand in the positioning of the fight. Then the roll to wound determines if the strike causes a wound, so a failed strike could mean a minor flesh wound, glancing off armour etc.
There aren’t any rules for standing your ground in High Seas, and I don’t think SBG has either. The combat is complete within the turn, and then it is up to the players to recommit in the next turn movement phase. No one stays locked in combat, so you don’t have to worry about attacks of opportunity.
I won’t ever be selling the rules as they are a hack of GW’s rules.

Offline Bloggard

• Scatterbrained Genius
« Reply #8 on: February 18, 2021, 03:53:22 PM »
right, fair enough.

I really do need to playtest before I opine further - and it will be quite the while before I can do that!

But great work, and hope you can keep undating this thread as mentioned.
« Last Edit: March 01, 2021, 10:09:14 PM by Bloggard »

Offline v_lazy_dragon

• Mastermind
« Reply #9 on: March 01, 2021, 09:22:34 AM »
Having looked at this a couple of times, I think it may be the perfect solution for my rules needs...
Have you thought about adding rules for horses? and does LOTHS have any rules for artillery?

Best

Xander

Offline amunptah

• Bookworm
Hello folks. I’ve just updated the rules to incorporate mounted troops, along with some stats for a horse and warhorse. I’ll flesh out other mounts as I add various warbands, along with equipment such as barring.
LOTHS has artillery in the form of ship cannons, loaded with shot or grapeshot. I may consider adding some rudimentary rules soon for Ruined City. Essentially you guess the range and place a template for shot, or use a blunderbuss style fire corridor for more direct fire weapons such as a dwarven machine battery gun. I could also incorporate bolt throwers using the standard missile rules, with a higher strength value for penetration, but slower reloads and a secondary model as loader.
My main priority before that will be adding warbands. Are there any that people would like to see first? I’m trying to include all of the basic groups from Mordheim and the town criers, but some such as Sisters of Sigmar or mutants will be on the back burner as I can’t find suitable miniatures in 15mm.
https://docs.google.com/document/d/1rycHH3c_GCHf7s9huTIq8yOZJ6hgJ50DrvverRqK1DA/edit

Offline Bloggard

• Scatterbrained Genius
great stuff, thanks.

will have to leave warband suggestions to others, as my preferred figure range is too niche (Celtos).

Offline amunptah

• Bookworm
Getting a Celtic mythology warband is actually high up on my list! I’ll have a look at the Celtos range for some inspiration, although I’ll be buying in 15mm

Offline Bloggard

• Scatterbrained Genius
well that's handy! Look forward to seeing the warband details.

Offline v_lazy_dragon

• Mastermind
Awesome- thanks :)
And eventual artillery rules are definitely something to hope for lol

On the warbands... I am doing something a bit mythic folklore-y, so I am probably not a good reference point lol
That said, maybe skaven, dwarves and witch hunters?