Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 29, 2024, 09:06:05 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Donate

We Appreciate Your Support

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 1691095
  • Total Topics: 118371
  • Online Today: 880
  • Online Ever: 2235
  • (October 29, 2023, 01:32:45 AM)
Users Online

Recent

Author Topic: Sources for ancient (non-Roman) marching camps?  (Read 903 times)

Offline Fremitus Borealis

• Scientist
  • Magister Discipulorum
Sources for ancient (non-Roman) marching camps?
« on: March 14, 2021, 08:13:19 PM »
I was curious if you guys had any handy sources for what a marching camp for an ancient army-on-campaign looked like. The sources that I know of just kind of mention that they exist, without describing them in any detail (which makes sense, of course; not many modern novels are going to describe the steps to turning on and operating a motor vehicle, after all). Outside of the obvious Roman examples--which are obviously exceptional--I can't think of anything beyond "well, they would have had campfires and tents..."

I recently watched a tutorial about making army camp tents and was thinking of adding it to the million other spinning plates I have at the moment, but it occurred that, again, outside of Roman examples, I wasn't exactly sure what a camp for, say, Macedonian/Successor/Persian/etc. armies would've looked like. Similar, no doubt, but what were the differences?

Although I can't seem to find it at the moment, I swear I remember a reference saying that one of Philip's innovations was eliminating the baggage train, making every man carry his own stuff so that the army could move quicker. But... would this mean individual tents/bedrolls? Do we have any information on a Macedonian equivalent of a contubernium? Of course, the longer Alexander campaigned, the more "camp followers" (including "new families") we hear about, so one assumes after a while the camp would've looked more like the later Roman "city on the move"... but how so?

Anyway, I had this grand idea (someday!) of a scenario game in which the objective is to capture the enemy's camp, as appears to have happened any number of times in ancient history... I'd just like it to look half-way right whenever I get around to it! :D
"Nice try, history; better luck next year."

Offline Cat

• Mastermind
  • All Purpose Neko-Sensei
    • Goblinhall
Re: Sources for ancient (non-Roman) marching camps?
« Reply #1 on: March 14, 2021, 08:35:21 PM »
The classic wargamers' camp for Ancient Egyptians is walled with all the soldiers' shields.  (Hmm, don't think I've ever happened to come across any historical references to cite for these.)

But those camps are a modelling peeve of mine.  Surely when the army takes to the field of battle, they take all the shields with them!  The camp perimeter would then be a foundation boundary of whatever was holding all those shields in place during the night.  Maybe a few odd shields would still be in place for those who were too sick to muster in the morning.

Offline voltan

• Mastermind
Re: Sources for ancient (non-Roman) marching camps?
« Reply #2 on: March 14, 2021, 08:36:38 PM »
The classic wargamers' camp for Ancient Egyptians is walled with all the soldiers' shields.  (Hmm, don't think I've ever happened to come across any historical references to cite for these.)

I think one of the reliefs of the battle of Kadesh shows this, can't remember anything more specific that that though, sorry.
Yvan eht nioj!