Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 25, 2024, 08:55:13 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Donate

We Appreciate Your Support

Recent

Author Topic: Congo 1964  (Read 1344 times)

Offline bazookajoe

• Librarian
Congo 1964
« on: March 21, 2021, 10:48:45 PM »
I started an experimental solo skirmish campaign based on the Simba rebellion in eastern Congo in 1964-65.  I use Platoon Forward for scenarios/campaign events and Bolt Action for game rules.  This is the first game.  The Congolese National Army (ANC) led by Colonel Mulamba is defending the town of Bukavu from a Simba attack at the start of the conflict.  In this world the Simbas and ANC are a little better than they were in reality but I still rated them both as “inexperienced” troops in Bolt Action terms.   I also used small squads of 5 troops each given the small 3x3 playing area and I also scaled down the scenario map.  LMG or MMG groups are usually 3 men each.
The ANC platoon consists of 3 small squads armed with FN FALs, a 30 cal MMG group and a small HQ (Col. Mulamba and bodyguard).  They deploy on the bottom of the table.  2 squads on the left of the road (one in the church) and 1 squad in some tall grass on the right side of the road.  The MMG deploys slightly back on the left side of the road and aiming down the road.  The Simbas start as hidden unit markers and are not revealed until they are seen.

The Simba units enter on the top of the table along randomly determined points (see the white markers).  Those unlucky enough to enter on the road are quickly cut down by the MMG.  Some work their way through the shacks on the left and begin to fire at the ANC troops in and around the church.  More Simbas move through the trees to emerge in front of the right ANC squad which is eliminated.  The ANC units around the church take heavy casualties from small arms fire and are eventually overwhelmed.  Col. Mulamba runs away leaving a single doomed soldier to defend the church.  The Simbas have now gained a foothold in Bukavu.  The revolution is gaining momentum!

Offline SJWi

• Mastermind
Re: Congo 1964
« Reply #1 on: March 22, 2021, 05:20:29 AM »
Nice looking game. Who produces the figures?

Offline bazookajoe

• Librarian
« Reply #2 on: March 22, 2021, 05:28:45 AM »
Thanks.  All the Simbas are Eureka ZANLA insurgents mainly with older Soviet weapons.  The ANC are a mix of different manufacturers and conversions.  Col. Mulamba is from the Assault Group.  Some are Crocked Dice governor general's guard which are really nice figs and perfect for Congo in the 60s.  Some are Eureka Brits in Aden with new heads (Perry Zulus with Warlord US WW2 helmets).  Some are kit bashed Warlord plastics with Perry Zulu heads with Warlord commando berets and Assault Group FN FALs. 

Offline Paul @ Empress Miniatures

• Scatterbrained Genius
« Reply #3 on: March 22, 2021, 10:35:25 AM »
Interesting looking game  ;)