Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 18, 2024, 04:21:55 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Donate

We Appreciate Your Support

Recent

Author Topic: Hopkins' and Scollins' Units of the English Civil War in Military Modelling...  (Read 1254 times)

Offline Condottiere

• Supporting Adventurer
  • Mad Scientist
For those old enough to recall Military Modelling magazine from the late 70s and early 80s, there was a series of articles called Units of the English Civil War by Trevor R. Hopkins and illustrated by Richard Scollins. Were these ever collected in a volume or do I have to track down each issue? If the former, is there an ISBN?

Offline Radar

• Librarian
    • KeepYourPowderDry
I don't think they were collated, probably for good reason. Having just read a few of the articles in order to help write this post, the text is probably best glossed over (classic British understatement, for example, "(the London Trained Bands) were described after the colour of their coats") but the illustrations are wonderful.

I've got a handful of MM from the period (mostly those with the Flags and Standards of the ECW series - which are also problematic, but considerably less so).

If it helps June 77 has #2 Newcastle's whitecoats in it. So I'm assuming #1 is May as #5 (Rupert's Cavaliers) appears in September  77.

December  77 no article; April, August, December 78 no article; August 79 no article;  August 80 cover has a splash headline 'new series' and the index page has the beautifully oxymoronic phrase 'return of a new series'. The article has a picture of 'NMA redcoat musketeers' the text is, well... if I was polite I would have to say the article is a general  introduction to the series.

Artillery feature Sept 80; dragoons and light horse Oct 80; Nov 80 the Trained Bands.

« Last Edit: April 03, 2021, 09:31:35 AM by Radar »
www.keepyourpowderdry.co.uk gaming the British Civil Wars in 15mm, and home of the ECW travelogue - dreadful painting, mediocre prose

Offline Atheling

• Elder God
    • Just Add Water Wargaming Blog
For those old enough to recall Military Modelling magazine from the late 70s and early 80s, there was a series of articles called Units of the English Civil War by Trevor R. Hopkins and illustrated by Richard Scollins. Were these ever collected in a volume or do I have to track down each issue? If the former, is there an ISBN?

I've got most of the articles that were donated to me many years ago. Unfortunately my printer has just but the dust so I can't even scan them. :(

Offline goingaviking

• Student
... the text is probably best glossed over (classic British understatement, for example, "(the London Trained Bands) were described after the colour of their coats") but the illustrations are wonderful.
To be fair we read Military Modelling for the information about uniforms. The background history was often weak even by the standards of more that forty years ago but it was often all we had.

Offline Atheling

• Elder God
    • Just Add Water Wargaming Blog
Sorry, forgot to mention it earlier, Helion Publications is probably the go to place for all things ECW:
https://www.helion.co.uk/conflicts/english-civil-wars.php?sid=a6bff12be7998f24bf94463db45e1be8

These should hit the mark.....

Online vodkafan

• Scatterbrained Genius
I bet Malcom had lots of fun nicknames at school..... lol
I am going to build a wargames army, a big beautiful wargames army, and Mexico is going to pay for it.

2019 Painting Challenge :
figures bought: 500+
figures painted: 57
9 vehicles painted
4 terrain pieces scratchbuilt