Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 19, 2024, 09:26:31 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Donate

We Appreciate Your Support

Recent

Author Topic: Just got a Magnifying Visor...  (Read 5666 times)

Offline keeper

• Mad Scientist
  • All your dice are belong to us
    • Prince Azalea's World of Wonders
Just got a Magnifying Visor...
« on: September 07, 2009, 03:31:51 PM »
My parents bought be one of these at the weekend as an early birthday present

http://www.machinemart.co.uk/shop/product/details/2-led-magnifying-visor

It is just brilliant for improving my highlighting!

Headband could be a little more comfortable, but nothing I can't fix with a small piece of foam and a rubber band!  All in all a great gift! :)  Just wanted to share!

Offline Hammers

• Amateur papiermachiéer
  • Elder God
  • Workbench and Pulp Moderator
Re: Just got a Magnifying Visor...
« Reply #1 on: September 07, 2009, 03:33:22 PM »
I hope you find them useful. They did me no good and I could explain why if you are interested.

Offline keeper

• Mad Scientist
« Reply #2 on: September 07, 2009, 03:36:20 PM »
I'd definately be interested to hear why you didn't like yours, Hammers.  Since I'm currently well into mine, it would be good to hear a different experience!

Offline Lowtardog

• Galactic Brain
« Reply #3 on: September 07, 2009, 03:38:24 PM »
This is why Hammers couldnt use them ;)

Offline Remgain

• Mad Scientist
« Reply #4 on: September 07, 2009, 03:41:13 PM »
This is why Hammers couldnt use them ;)

lol lol

We don't stop playing because we grow old; we grow old because we stop playing.

George Bernard Shaw

Offline Ray Rivers

• Galactic Brain
« Reply #5 on: September 07, 2009, 03:46:45 PM »
But shouldn't you be able to use these even if you where glasses.  Just take them off...

I'm also interested in these visors, I do, however, where glasses, but on the other hand I take them off when I paint.   o_o

Offline Hammers

• Amateur papiermachiéer
  • Elder God
  • Workbench and Pulp Moderator
« Reply #6 on: September 07, 2009, 03:54:36 PM »
Well, I asked if you wanted to know...  :)

first of all there is something as too much detail in a miniature. I know that may be just an opinion but I know I share it with a lot of veterans in the hobby. A 28mm miniature seen at an arm lenghts distance is the same height as a person standing about 25 meters away. My argument is that details not seen that far away should not be painted in on a 28mm miniature either. This is the reason I don't do eye whites for example. So unless you have a weaker than normal eye *) you don't paint detail which realistically should not be seen. 'Realism' is a tricky term to talk about in this hobby since perhaps 28mm miniatures are not very realistic to start with. My practical experience is however that it is better to train the 'naked eye' if I may call it that on painting the right amount of detail.

Also, and this is a purely practical comment, is that magnifying lenses messes with your ability to focus. Your peripheral vision gets blurred so beside the ensuing headache I find it hard to take in the overall impression of the miniature and the painting you are doing on it.

Slightly more than my $0.05 but there it is. :)

*) and unless you enjoy painting the dry cleaning stub on the collar of a 28mm jacket for the sake of knowing it is there
« Last Edit: September 07, 2009, 06:58:48 PM by Hammers »

Offline keeper

• Mad Scientist
« Reply #7 on: September 07, 2009, 04:12:27 PM »
Your comments make a lot of sense to me, Hammers :)  Although I paint for two different reasons - to game and because I find it immensely relaxing and fun.

When I'm painting specifically to game, I only paint detail that is a little bit more than is necessary, and I agree the visor isn't necessary.  But I also want to be able to paint some miniatures really very well, even up close (well, maybe one day I'll be able to!) and that is what I like about the magnifier.  A second great thing about it is that normally I crunch forward when I paint, which isn't great for my back, but in order to be able to see my open paint and/or mixing palette and be able to refocus on the mini with the visor on, I tend to lean back.  But I don't keep it on all through a painting session - I'm only put it on when I'm painting/highlighting fine details so I don't have it on for more than three or four mins at a time. So I am going to pretend to myself that using the visor is like doing sit ups, just for a little while :D

I wear glasses all the time Ray, even to paint - and this visor works just fine for me.

Offline Orctrader

• Supporting Adventurer
  • Scatterbrained Genius
    • Orctrader's Painted Figures
« Reply #8 on: September 07, 2009, 08:02:30 PM »
But shouldn't you be able to use these even if you where glasses.  Just take them off...

I'm also interested in these visors, I do, however, where glasses, but on the other hand I take them off when I paint.   o_o

I use an optivisor - 2.5 mag -  worn over my varifocal glasses.  I never paint without it.

Offline Ray Rivers

• Galactic Brain
« Reply #9 on: September 07, 2009, 08:50:18 PM »
I use an optivisor - 2.5 mag -  worn over my varifocal glasses.  I never paint without it.

Great!

It's not for incredible detail that I'm after... just helping out the old eyes.

8)

Offline Ramshackle_Curtis

• Mastermind
    • http://www.ramshacklegames.co.uk/
« Reply #10 on: September 07, 2009, 10:35:01 PM »
Im just worried that if I get a magnifier I wont be able to paint properly if Im not using it....so yeah, like when you try to do a bit of painting in another venue its just much harder because you dont have your visor handy.

Offline elysium64

• Potatoe Cup Holder 2010
  • Mastermind
« Reply #11 on: September 08, 2009, 10:16:51 AM »
Im just worried that if I get a magnifier I wont be able to paint properly if Im not using it....so yeah, like when you try to do a bit of painting in another venue its just much harder because you dont have your visor handy.
Yeah, since I started using my visor (same as at top of post) yes my painting has improved, but now am totally uable to focus on 28mm miniayures without it. Can be a bit of a pain, now planning to buy
http://www.maplin.co.uk/Module.aspx?ModuleNo=47980

Offline Ray Rivers

• Galactic Brain
« Reply #12 on: September 08, 2009, 11:25:02 AM »
I've tried one of those lamp magnifiers.

It is a pretty fussy thing, IMO.  I ended up having to move either the lamp or my head constantly to get things in focus.

In the end, I binned it.

Offline Wirelizard

• Scatterbrained Genius
  • Needs More Zeppelin!
    • The Warbard
« Reply #13 on: September 08, 2009, 01:07:28 PM »
I've tried one of those lamp magnifiers.

Likewise. I scored one of those swing-arm lamp magnifiers from a friend who was moving, used it for a bit then donated it to the Sally Ann.

It was awkward, and meant having to hold both my head and the miniature in exactly the right spot for it to stay in focus. A head-mounted mag visor might be a bit easier in that regard, I guess.