Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 28, 2024, 05:36:11 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Donate

We Appreciate Your Support

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 1686536
  • Total Topics: 118107
  • Online Today: 857
  • Online Ever: 2235
  • (October 29, 2023, 12:32:45 AM)
Users Online

Recent

Author Topic: Rampant SciFi: UD 30/3 Belters (Infinity & Battle Droids) FINISHED  (Read 21809 times)

Offline Silent Invader

• Galactic Brain
Silent Invader’s Rampant Sci-Fi project

Background (edited 27/2/23)

The project combines elements of or influences from my favourite SciFi sources, including:

The Expanse
Star Wars
Aliens
The Fifth Element
Raised by Wolves
Valerian and the City of a Thousand Planets
Serenity
Ghosts of Mars
Resident Evil

The current factions include:

• Reivers (mutant humans derived from or influenced by Serenity, Ghosts of Mars, Resident Evil)
  • Marines (shorter humans influenced by the Colonial Marines from Aliens)
  • Belters (taller humans derived from The Expanse, Raised By Wolves)
  • Wookies (humanoids from Star Wars)

Other factions might be added, such as Twi’Lek, Mangalores and Xenomorphs

A bit of fluff….

The Galactic Powers are the self-styled managers (controllers) of all things law, finance, commerce and industry. Their power extends as far as the Asteroid Belt beyond which lie the Outer Reaches, which are the ‘Wild West’ of the Galaxy.

Reivers (Krakon Stargrind)

Humans who as off-Earth prisoners of the Galactic Powers were genetically-modified to perform labour in high-radiation and low-oxygen mining environments. Their services were contracted to (effectively they were enslaved to) the ‘Yutani. Mining Corporation’  (Y.). Having escaped penal servitude, they now survive in the Outer Reaches, raiding for supplies and captives. Cunning and easily enraged, they lack the neural capacity for strategic thinking but are competent with technical systems including weapons and vehicles.

Marines (Hasslefree Grymn)

Grey-haired, short in height and somewhat squat, the Marines are humans from a high-gravity planet. Strong of body and determined of spirit, naturally assertive but calm in adversity, they are contracted by the Galactic Powers to patrol and police the Outer Reaches.

Belters (Infinity Haqqislam)

Tall, fair-haired humans from the low gravity Asteroid Belt. The Belt was founded as a colony of the Galactic Powers but over time has increasingly pushed for its independence. The Belt is vulnerable to attack and so its society is highly militarised. The Belt began as, and still is, a primary source of rare minerals but has also developed into a trading hub for anything and everything.

Wookies (WotC Bendies)

Native to the forest planet Kashyyyk, the humanoid Wookies are distinguished from humans by their gigantism, hirsutism, and physical strength.  While they are known for their strength, battle prowess, and penchant for losing their temper, they are also highly intelligent and possess a natural talent for mechanics. These abilities make Wookiees natural scouts and adventurers.

FYI the earlier pages of the thread jump about with various other names for these factions, as it’s taken a while for me to settle on what I want to do. Out of date names and references include:

Wookies : Sasqwatchen
Marines : Grimm, Grymn
Belters : Humans
Reivers : Reavers, Drones, Druuschan

Contents:

P.1 Where to find Druuschan
P.1 Druuschan fluff
P.1 Landers (3D Printing)
P.2 Grymn versus Druuschan( now Stargrind) versus Belters
P.2 Wookies
P.3 Wookie on a speeder gets Aviator sunglasses
P.3 Wookies painted
P.4 Bunker
P.5 Finished Grymn, Infinity & Stargrind mins
P.6 Finished lander and shuttle
P.6 More Grymn conversions
P.7 Completed conversions
P.7 More finished Grymn & Stargrind minis
P.7 WIP portable habitation units
P.7 A HF ‘light sabre’ conversion and some Grymn
P.8 Finished Grimm Close Combat, Reiver with light sabre, hab units, containers, power unit, downed Lander
P.8  Statted forces for first XR game
P.9  First game of Xenos Rampant
P.10 Terrain piece - pumping station
P.10 WIP Grymn conversions and OSHIROmodels skimmer
P.10 Background fluff
P.11 Painted Reiver skimmer
P.11 Painted generic scatter & droids
P.11 Painted Reivers - 2 units of berserkers
P11 Painted Mariness - 3 units
P.11 Pumping station finished
P.12 The art of John Eaves (Ghosts of Mars)
P.12 CorpSec Office wip
P.13 CorpSec Office finished
P.13 Belters and Battle Droids finished

Original first post below the line

Am getting myself organised for the release of Xenos Rampant, which I think might be out later this year.

Over the years I’ve started and stopped various Sci-Fi collections but recently discovered that I really like painting fantasy dwarves, so have purchased HF Grymn for the ‘good’ force (and no doubt they’ll be painted in Colonial Trooper style). The outstanding efforts of Inso, both here and at FoD, are inspirational.

When it comes to the ‘evil’ side, to facilitate solo play I want something that is fast and brutal but, having done it previously, am not drawn to Alien aliens, etc. I like the look of the HF Druuschan but they no longer seem to be carried by HF, so I’ve picked up what I can from EBay etc. As far as I can tell, only 5 variants were ever sold:

Drone 1
Drone 2
Stryker
Jotun A
Jotun B

I’ve managed to track down Drones and Strykers but no Jotuns.

Anyways, can anyone tell me any background - fluff etc ? I imagine the Druuschan as being somewhat like ‘not-quite-zombie’ Reavers from Serenity and I might use them in that context but am interested in other approaches.

Ta
« Last Edit: March 30, 2023, 03:16:59 PM by Silent Invader »
My LAF Gallery is HERE
Minis (foot & mounted) finished in 2024 = 0
(2023 = 151; 2022 = 204; 2021 = 123; 2020 = ???)

Offline manic _miner

• Scatterbrained Genius
    • Four A miniatures
Re: HF DRUUSCHAN - any background info
« Reply #1 on: May 31, 2021, 10:50:58 AM »
 The HF Druuschan were picked-up by another company and there were some conversions done to them.Cant remember who got them though.Macrocosm might have had them and sold them on.

Offline Earther

• Mastermind
  • Sat at my Mac, lusting after lead…
« Reply #2 on: May 31, 2021, 10:54:07 AM »
They went to Krakon Games and are now in their Stargrind range, and there are also new, modified versions.

https://krakongames.com/product-category/science-fiction/stargrind/page/2/

Fluff-wise, they look like they could be failed or defective genetically engineered infantry. I vaguely remember a Rogue Trooper story where the Norts attempted to create their own GIs, but they were messed up and monsterous.
« Last Edit: May 31, 2021, 10:58:46 AM by Earther »

Offline Silent Invader

• Galactic Brain
« Reply #3 on: May 31, 2021, 03:27:15 PM »
Thanks both that’s really useful, especially the news that the range is elsewhere  8)

Offline Earther

• Mastermind
« Reply #4 on: May 31, 2021, 03:37:43 PM »
Tempted to grab some Drones from Krakon myself now  lol

Cool that you can choose metal or resin, too.

Offline Chief Lackey Rich

• Mastermind
« Reply #5 on: May 31, 2021, 03:48:01 PM »
Tempted to grab some Drones from Krakon myself now  lol

Cool that you can choose metal or resin, too.

I'm glad you linked them, Krakon's catalog has grown a lot since the last time I browsed through it.

Offline Earther

• Mastermind
« Reply #6 on: May 31, 2021, 03:52:40 PM »
There’s a lot of stuff there! Some great critters.  8)

Offline mcfonz

• Mastermind
    • Poison Spurs - blog and reviews
« Reply #7 on: May 31, 2021, 06:59:32 PM »
The dude behind Krakon is awesome too.
RP Tabletop Blog:

RP vlog channel: https://www.youtube.com/@RandomPlatypus

Offline voltan

• Mastermind
« Reply #8 on: June 01, 2021, 04:44:51 PM »
I vaguely remember something about them being the result of an infection spread by the implants they had, but it was a while ago and I may be getting mixed up with something else.
Yvan eht nioj!

Offline Silent Invader

• Galactic Brain
« Reply #9 on: June 01, 2021, 05:29:35 PM »
I vaguely remember something about them being the result of an infection spread by the implants they had, but it was a while ago and I may be getting mixed up with something else.

That works rather well as fluff! Thank you  8)

Offline Silent Invader

• Galactic Brain
Re: The Grymn Reapers: ud 22/6 vehicles
« Reply #10 on: June 22, 2021, 09:46:20 AM »
Unable to paint or game for the last 6 weeks or so my need for a hobby fix has been met by starting this new project (I resolved no new projects this year and this is already the second  o_o).

Anyways, I’ve been acquiring Grymn (the HF space dwarfs) and which in anticipation of Xenos Rampant I’m putting into five teams of 5, tasked and kitted as

Command
Light Infantry
Light Infantry
Light Infantry (Missiles)
Heavy Infantry

I’ve really no idea if these will fit the Mersey troop classes when they are eventually revealed but it’s somewhere to start.

For those interested in how Kev White envisaged the Grymn might be organised, LAFer Inso has a most useful blog entry:

http://grymnoutthere.blogspot.com/2010/02/from-mouth-of-creator.html

So with teams of 5 sorted, how’d do they move about? I purchased an STL file of a small lander for a couple of pounds, then altered it to add a viewing slit and multi-gun. A friend (Dr Death) kindly printed off a test piece for me and utterly convinced by it I now have a resin printer on the way.  :D

A unit of Light Infantry with their lander (the stalk will be replaced with clear Perspex in due course):

Given how the Rampant rules generally work, I figured it’d be more functional for each unit to have a lander specific to its role, so I made more modifications - once again helped by bits from Thingiverse and advice from friends - to create these variations:

I have about 10 Druuschan though I’ll be getting more from Krakon Games idc; this 5 figure pack is available and could well be the basis for my own units:

To distinguish the Druuschan transports, I’m inclined to give them a somewhat angular shuttle (as opposed to the soft, cuddly curves of the Grymn lander). This one I started from scratch, though once again odd bits from Thingiverse/elsewhere and advice from friends made a significant difference:

It won’t be test printed until the printer arrives but hopefully it will work. I’ve left some flat surface area as I’m thinking the Druuschan will behave much like the Reavers from Serenity, so I might make some Grymn corpses to tie to the sides of the ships.

Here’s what it scales like with the Druuschan minis (I’ve borrowed a picture of someone else’s minis, might have been Dags  ???):

Terrain-wise, I expect it’ll be summer Temperate so I can use much of my existing terrain to which I can add a sci-fi flavour.
« Last Edit: June 22, 2021, 09:56:14 AM by Silent Invader »

Offline Elk101

• Supporting Adventurer
  • Elder God
« Reply #11 on: June 22, 2021, 10:36:36 AM »
Very cool stuff. Those are both figure ranges that I've considered myself so am very keen to see this develop. You're making great strides with your software skills too. Im sure you won't be disappointed by your printer either.

Offline Silent Invader

• Galactic Brain
« Reply #12 on: June 22, 2021, 11:06:04 AM »
Cheers Steve and thanks for your help so far  8)

Offline eilif

• Scatterbrained Genius
    • Chicago Skirmish Wargames
« Reply #13 on: June 23, 2021, 11:02:16 PM »
Cool project.  I like your choices of minis and vehicle designs.  Looking forward to seeing that Lander in 3d.

Offline Silent Invader

• Galactic Brain
Re: The Grymn Reapers: ud 7/7 printed landers & shuttle
« Reply #14 on: July 07, 2021, 04:30:39 PM »
Thanks very much. I’ve been waylaid with matters 3D, learning quite a lot that is useful, and now have a clutch of printed vehicles.

A reminder of the Lander for the Grymn Light Infantry:

The role of the Lander is the Grymn is somewhat derived from the Lightweight (Airportable) Land Rover.

Carrying a driver plus 5 troops with little personal space or comfort, it’s manoeuvrable, relatively fast, and readily modified.

There are now variants for each of the Grymn troop types (light, heavy, Missile, command) plus I’ve also printed off crashed markers that will be suitably decorated.

The Grymn are significantly smaller than their enemy, the Druuschan. The example is of Drone #1 who’s right arm will easily bend for variations in pose.

The Druuschan are in units of 10, travelling in a Shuttle.

The Shuttle is inspired by the Saracen APC, being larger and armoured, and in consequence much slower. 

The Shuttle has been printed in two parts and joined. I shall be needing to print more of them, no doubt making slight improvements when doing so.

I’ll be on to painting these soon.