Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 16, 2024, 08:43:48 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Donate

We Appreciate Your Support

Recent

Author Topic: Hello LAF  (Read 1389 times)

Offline tonicnh

• Lurker
Hello LAF
« on: June 14, 2021, 11:15:17 AM »
Greetings from deepest darkest Yorkshire!

Long time gamer looking forward to pushing some lead once my current house renovations are done and ive got access to my gaming and painting tables once more after a 3 year hiatus

Although my lead mountain covers a multitude of periods and scales (whose doesnt?)  my plan is to make a start with some 6mm sci fi games using Jim Webster's Hellfire rules plus some 15mm sci fi skirmishing using 2 hour wargames 5150. I reckon some Toofatlardies Dux Britanniarum may also be on the cards once the figures are unpacked....also quite fancy getting my stalled  6mm ACW and 6mm GNW projects back up and running

Any suggestions on how to get an old gaming magpie to focus,  knuckle down and get some more toys painted?

Offline Grumpy Gnome

• Galactic Brain
    • The Grumpy Gnome
Re: Hello LAF
« Reply #1 on: June 14, 2021, 04:13:06 PM »
Greetings and welcome!

My only advice is eat the elephant one bite at a time. Set relatively easy goals so you can feel good about exceeding them but make sure you always keep nibbling away, remembering it is the journey not the destination. And one in the painted hand is worth two integrity unpainted bush. Your rolling paint stone should then gather no moss. Please get some fortune cookies for more advice of similar quality.
Home of the Grumpy Gnome

https://thegrumpygnome.home.blog/

Offline CapnJim

• Scatterbrained Genius
  • Gainfully unemployed and lovng it!
« Reply #2 on: June 14, 2021, 04:57:02 PM »
Welcome aboard!
"Remember - Incoming Fire Has the Right-of-Way"

Offline tonicnh

• Lurker
« Reply #3 on: June 15, 2021, 08:11:52 AM »
Thanks for the warm welcome and sage advice ....in the spirit of compromise i'll do a 6mm elephant from Irregular Miniatures as my first test piece!

Offline Cubs

• Galactic Brain
  • "I simply cannot survive without beauty ..."
« Reply #4 on: June 15, 2021, 09:18:41 AM »
Welcome to the support group. Except this one encourages you to more excess, not less. I've got to say, everyone here is so willing to share tips and techniques and are so very generous with advice, information and just swapping toys back and forth, I think you'll enjoy it here.
'Sir John ejaculated explosively, sitting up in his chair.' ... 'The Black Gang'.

Paul Cubbin Miniature Painter

Offline has.been

• Galactic Brain
« Reply #5 on: June 15, 2021, 09:45:11 AM »
Welcome and...
Set relatively easy goals so you can feel good about exceeding them but make sure you always keep nibbling away,

Plus one to that.

Offline BeneathALeadMountain

• Mad Scientist
« Reply #6 on: June 15, 2021, 10:04:54 AM »
Greetings from South Wales! The Grumpy Gnomes advice is sage (I know you’re an old hand but we ALL get carried away) although if you manage to churn out hobby goodness at the same speed as him you probably won’t have a problem.

BALM
Beneath A Lead Mountain - my blog of hobby procrastination and sometimes even some progress
https://beneathaleadmountain.blogspot.com/

Offline OSHIROmodels

• Supporting Adventurer
  • Elder God
  • Custom terrain a speciality.
    • Oshiro modelterrain
« Reply #7 on: June 15, 2021, 10:37:36 AM »
Welcome  :)
cheers

James

https://www.oshiromodels.co.uk/

Twitter account -     @OSHIROmodels
Instagram account - oshiromodels

http://redplanetminiatures.blogspot.co.uk/
http://jimbibblyblog.blogspot.com/

Offline Grumpy Gnome

• Galactic Brain
    • The Grumpy Gnome
« Reply #8 on: June 15, 2021, 10:48:44 AM »
Thanks for the warm welcome and sage advice ....in the spirit of compromise i'll do a 6mm elephant from Irregular Miniatures as my first test piece!

Excellent idea! Huzzah!

Online Earther

• Mastermind
  • Sat at my Mac, lusting after lead…
« Reply #9 on: June 15, 2021, 11:38:09 AM »
…my plan is to make a start with some 6mm sci fi games using Jim Webster's Hellfire rules…

Hellfire? By ‘eck, that’s a blast from the past. Looking forward to seeing what you come up with.

And greetings to you from sunny Lancashire! :D

Offline tonicnh

• Lurker
« Reply #10 on: June 15, 2021, 01:07:10 PM »
Think ive got enough toys (if i can retrieve them from wherever they're stored) to run the Hell on Dodgsons World scenario that was done as part of a battlepack from Irregular Miniatures years ago

Also got some good ideas for random unit activation from the Jim Webster rules FB group.

Combine that with the internal mechanics of Hellfire and the Threat Generation System from Miniature Wargames 373 and I reckon ive got myself a viable solo game......

« Last Edit: June 15, 2021, 01:08:59 PM by tonicnh »