Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 29, 2024, 02:37:17 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Donate

We Appreciate Your Support

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 1691135
  • Total Topics: 118375
  • Online Today: 905
  • Online Ever: 2235
  • (October 29, 2023, 01:32:45 AM)
Users Online

Recent

Author Topic: Medeival Ships - Special Offer on Amazon as of 14th July  (Read 1260 times)

Offline SirGromit1879

• Librarian
Medeival Ships - Special Offer on Amazon as of 14th July
« on: July 15, 2021, 08:30:14 PM »
Hi all,

I know a few people have been after medeival ships over the years so thought would post this.

I have always fancied getting the Zvezda Kog for my 1470's 28mm figures but nowdays it is just too expensive and not really keen on the laser cut wooden ones so was about to have a go at making my own which i would love to do but put off by the ammount of work to get it looking right. Even found some plans of the Matthew which was around 1490's but then stumbled on a Heller kit on amazon. The Santa Maria in 1/75.

It was £43 on amazon for the Christopher Columbus set which gives you the Santa Maria, Pinta, Nina. It is currently on amazon for £31 instead of £50!!.

Mine arrived today and it is a beautiful model, comes in a massive presentation box, very exciting =).

Apologies for the poor quality photos i just wanted to get them on here so people could make a judgement on scale before the offer runs out, will take better comparison photos when i start building

Scale wise although it is 1/75, the Santa Maria is an excellent fit for 28mm figures, only things that might need altering is the accesories like lifeboats and barrels etc.

The two other boats are quite a bit smaller and do not work as well with 28mm figures, however the photo attached just shows the hull, there are some bits in the kit to build up the sides and make it bigger.

I think the Nina and Pinta will need some work to make them 28mm but it is an excellent base to start from.

Not sure if i can post amazon links so if you go to amazon uk, search for 1/75 christopher columbus' and it should come up

I am really glad i went this route as after looking into medieval ships I think the medeival Kog kit would of been a bit too early for 1470s. When finished i hope to make these Burgundian ships under Charles the Bold

Offline Little Odo

• Mastermind
    • Little Odo's Grand Days Out
Re: Medeival Ships - Special Offer on Amazon as of 14th July
« Reply #1 on: July 16, 2021, 07:59:17 AM »
They seem to scale in well with your minis. Will you be waterlining them or using as is on a stand?
Little Odo's Grand Days Out
http://littleodo.blogspot.co.uk/

Offline SirGromit1879

• Librarian
« Reply #2 on: July 16, 2021, 10:37:50 AM »
Going to waterline them but not sure if it will be on a little base or just place the hull down on the wargames table. Ideally would love to place it permently in resin water on a terrain board but i think would be better to have the ability to move it if ever fancy a medeival sea battle =)

Had a look and i think the Santa Maria dates from the 1460s, so even more perfect!. Was reading that there were differences in ship design between Northern Europe and Southern Europe, but i'm betting it would not have been unsual for ships to be sold and swapped between countries so not too worrierd, worst case could just modify the kit a bit.

Offline commissarmoody

• Galactic Brain
    • Moodys Adventures
« Reply #3 on: July 16, 2021, 11:42:53 AM »
I like this idea. Looking forward to seeing how this goes.
"Peace" is that brief, glorious moment in history when everybody stands around reloading.

- Anonymous