Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 29, 2024, 02:39:05 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Donate

We Appreciate Your Support

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 1686662
  • Total Topics: 118119
  • Online Today: 815
  • Online Ever: 2235
  • (October 29, 2023, 12:32:45 AM)
Users Online

Recent

Author Topic: Flintloque basing  (Read 976 times)

Offline londoncalling

• Bookworm
Flintloque basing
« on: August 09, 2021, 11:12:16 AM »
Finally having dusted off my flintloque figures and i have a basing dilemma!

I'm just not keen on square bases anymore. I don't really game with others, but you never know. if I was to base on rounds and use sabots would that cause problems if I ever did play flintloque or slaughterloo ?

What size and shape bases do you use ?
Thanks for your thoughts..

Offline Westfalia Chris

• Cardboard Warlord
  • Administrator
  • Galactic Brain
  • Elaborate! Elucidate! Evaluate!
Re: Flintloque basing
« Reply #1 on: August 09, 2021, 01:16:11 PM »
Finally having dusted off my flintloque figures and i have a basing dilemma!

I'm just not keen on square bases anymore. I don't really game with others, but you never know. if I was to base on rounds and use sabots would that cause problems if I ever did play flintloque or slaughterloo ?

What size and shape bases do you use ?
Thanks for your thoughts..

I played a lot of Flintloque back in the late 90s and back in the day always used rectangular (or square) bases since firing and viewing angles were an important thing back then. I must admit I don't know if that is still the case with the rules, but nowadays I would, for aesthetic reasons, change to round washers of appropriate size and mark the 90° front angle using small stones, mushrooms or the like. I usually have "straight ahead" in the direction the figure is "looking", so to speak.

You could also mark out the rim of a round base to represent said angles.

Reminds me that I still have a set of Sharke's Rifles and a bunch of Finklestein Ogres to paint up.  lol

Offline rob_alderman

• Scatterbrained Genius
  • Dribbling wreck...
« Reply #2 on: August 09, 2021, 01:22:59 PM »
Had I not already painted so many, mine would be on round bases.

For S'loo you can use sabot bases and for Flintloque it really doesn't matter. I use the original Flintloque rules, anyway, which are to be interpreted rather than followed in all fairness.

Offline Belgian

• Scatterbrained Genius
    • Wargame News and Terrain
« Reply #3 on: August 09, 2021, 04:42:34 PM »
Thanks for the information, I have some Flintloque miniatures in the post as we speak and will most likely choose for round bases.

Will be used for some skirmishing in the dense and steamy jungles of Kinkon! (Some painted miniatures acquired on LAF)
Wargame News and Terrain Blog, daily updated with the latest wargame news

Interested click https://wargameterrain.blogspot.com/

Offline dampfpanzerwagon

• Scatterbrained Genius
« Reply #4 on: August 12, 2021, 08:43:19 PM »
I have hundreds of based and painted Flintloque minis all are based on 2p coins (well a few of the smaller ones are based on 1p coins but they are few.

I have never liked the square bases and use them as weights on my model railway layout or in the nose cones of aircraft models.

Tony
http://dampfpanzerwagon.blogspot.com/search/label/Flintloque

Offline londoncalling

• Bookworm
« Reply #5 on: August 13, 2021, 01:48:33 PM »
Thanks all for responses, so it seems it's an aesthetic thing. Certainly I seem to prefer round bases. Only down side I see is basing cavalry, and that those larger bases eg 40mm will take up more storage space than rectangles or those fancy new ovals.

.. Just seen.. a couple of the orc infantry will be a real squeeze on 25mm rounds.

Offline Belgian

• Scatterbrained Genius
    • Wargame News and Terrain
« Reply #6 on: August 21, 2021, 05:31:23 PM »
Thanks all for responses, so it seems it's an aesthetic thing. Certainly I seem to prefer round bases. Only down side I see is basing cavalry, and that those larger bases eg 40mm will take up more storage space than rectangles or those fancy new ovals.

.. Just seen.. a couple of the orc infantry will be a real squeeze on 25mm rounds.

That was also one of my concerns as some of these miniatures are really big or have some wide poses so will see what to do exactly