Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 28, 2024, 03:31:41 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Donate

We Appreciate Your Support

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 1686500
  • Total Topics: 118104
  • Online Today: 857
  • Online Ever: 2235
  • (October 29, 2023, 12:32:45 AM)
Users Online

Recent

Author Topic: Rif War  (Read 2438 times)

Offline Dashetal

• Bookworm
Rif War
« on: August 13, 2021, 11:36:11 PM »
Sadly this period was last addressed in 2009 and the manufacture  did not follow through due to lack of interest by the public. There are very few wars that have been not addressed over time. Now a new manufacture has entered the foray from Spain. He is dedicated to bringing the wars of Spain to life. He has started with the Rif War and is using the backdrop of the recent Spanish Television series "Love in the time of War" which can be seen on Net flicks. He has just finished the core SFL troops with fatigue cap and side cap. Each style comes 6 in a pack and they are all different pose totally 12 packs of individual poses. There are two packs of officers, one pack of non coms and one pack of officers with 4 figures to the pack. The heavy MG is represented along with two styles of light in a pack.  Here is his site with a limited offer sale. https://barakagm.com/
I hope you all will consider supporting another period that so needs representation. The owner tells me is is about 70% sold out and its only been up for about 7 hours.
« Last Edit: August 13, 2021, 11:51:38 PM by Dashetal »

Offline AdmiralAndy

• Scientist
Re: Rif War
« Reply #1 on: August 14, 2021, 12:25:20 AM »
TooFatLardies have a supplement covering this for anyone looking to game this and wanting an introduction to the setting and background.

Online Inkpaduta

• Supporting Adventurer
  • Mastermind
« Reply #2 on: August 14, 2021, 01:26:45 AM »
Got sooo close to doing this war.

Offline BillK

• Supporting Adventurer
  • Scientist
« Reply #3 on: August 22, 2021, 12:40:27 AM »
This thread is running over on the LAF Colonial board...

https://leadadventureforum.com/index.php?topic=131478.0

new company with very nice Rif War sculpts.

Offline S J Donovan

• Scientist
« Reply #4 on: September 17, 2021, 03:23:33 AM »
My Baraka Spanish Foreign Legion figures arrive today.  Lovely figures, great detail, no flash, wonderful casting and sculpting.  Can't wait for more Spanish figures and the Rif.

Offline Dashetal

• Bookworm
« Reply #5 on: September 18, 2021, 08:44:10 PM »
Got mine too and have a second order on the way.  lol  Here is a mini review. The use of cad and the combination of traditional spin casting has produced a figure line that resembles the style of a better Richard Ansell and rivals Paul Hicks stuff in acceptability. The figures are in highly dynamic poses. The foundation is three packs of 6 figures. Each pack is 6 non identically figures. In the case of the SFL they also repeat the figures with the fatigue hat so that leaves you with 36 non identical figures. The figures for the most part are whole but several of the more dynamic poses necessitate a separate arm or arms. 3 of the basic 18 have one or two arms needed to be glued. The two arms models have two anchor points at the shoulders as the gun is already shared between the arms. Sort of similar to Warhammer figures but being metal that is fairly pliable can be repositioned a little before connected to the ball sockets. The pliable metal is easy to straighten anything a little if need be. There is one figure with a missing arm that is attached to a gun when you glue to the shoulder the gun is adjacent to a cartridge belt so you have a second glue anchor point. Only one figure with a arm holding a baynette has a single glue point at the shoulder. That individual is kneeling and fixing the bayonette to his rifle end. That may be the one if any arm gets bumped off. Size wise they are very slightly taller then the Empress figures but both lines can go in the same units with no appearance issues. Baraka's figures have raised surfaces for ranks to be painted and they are all properly marked for the Rif war. The basic building block for the Rifs will come out in 3 packs by September 25. Baraka is keeping his word but things are a little slower then the owner would like. He has many ideas and plans for the future. The goal is a couple new packs a month and having this line completed in two years.

Offline Von Stroheim

• Scientist
« Reply #6 on: September 28, 2021, 02:04:08 PM »
Would endorse everything that Dashetal has said about this range. The attacking poses are very dynamic and they are beautifully cast. There was a slight gap in one of the LMG figures and I was going to get out the filler.

Lo and behold a new arm arrived in the post this morning. Unprompted the manufacturer addressed this problem with a perfect fitting piece and explanatory letter he even filled out the customs forms that our Government requires nowadays.

Superb quality control and customer service. I see there are three packs of Rifs available will wait for more releases and put in a second order.

Offline Dashetal

• Bookworm
« Reply #7 on: September 28, 2021, 02:32:18 PM »
The Rif foundation packs have been released and I have ordered from the three codes. Upon receipt I will do a mini review. He will be releasing in October some command figures and a family of knife welders for skirmish gaming and the Spanish version of Armistead with a couple of sidekicks to die at the hands of the Rif. Like I said he plans to do a full range over the next two years.

Offline S J Donovan

• Scientist
« Reply #8 on: October 01, 2021, 10:30:11 PM »
I got my second order today I love these Rifs, very dynamic poses, I'll let Dashetal review them. Can't wait for more to come!

Offline Dashetal

• Bookworm
« Reply #9 on: October 02, 2021, 11:05:11 PM »
I have received the 3 different packs of the Rifs. The three poses are listed as Shooting, Skirmishing, and Moving Forward. The shooting packs have 6 single piece figures all in various poses. My favorite is a seated figure with legs spread out. The Skirmishing poses have 5 single cast figure that suggests shooting much like the firing pack and and one knelling figure with a rifle that attaches at the right shoulder and at the right leg with a small projection on the rifle.  The moving forward poses have 4 solid poses and two that need attachments. One has two shoulder attachments for the arms holding a rifle. Another figure is clamoring forward and is holding a rifle in his unattached right arm. The figures  appear more determined rather then fierce. Historically they usually bled the legion who was determined to charge shoot and go hand to hand so that may explain the steady look. Once again the figures are beautifully done.  No excess metal and just an occasional small mold line. Its obvious that the caster has a wheel type of spin casting arrangement since the excess metal is on two spots on the underside of the bases. A simple filling of the underside of the base removes the spurs in no time. The bases are thin which is a good thing. The men when placed on a base to base wont be standing on a mound that would be hard to hide with the basing materials. There is so much raised detail on the figures that it would be hard not to paint these well. All and all a very worthy addition to the Baraka lineup.

Offline JohnFoA

• Librarian
« Reply #10 on: December 09, 2021, 07:55:21 PM »
Intresting stuff.  The figures from that Spanish company look good and with the review I may end up putting my hand nto the pocket.  One weapon they seem to be missing - at least to me is the 50mm mortar. 

But for the life of me I cannot remember when that was introduced in service.

Some of the charging poses (Legion) I think the left hand is too far forward/close to the bayonet.  It is a stand off weapon and that pose bring the holder in too close - I feel.  Still overall, nice.

Good to catch up on the chat.  TTFN
On the balance the helicopter gunship is also mightier than the sword

Offline Dashetal

• Bookworm
« Reply #11 on: December 10, 2021, 01:41:03 AM »
John, they are planning to bring that and the artillery out in January. They also are going to develop priests and first aid workers along with other civilians. Their aim is to do the complete war from the Spanish side with monthly releases well into late 2022. I am expecting another wallet injury around Christmas maybe as early as next week.

Offline Dashetal

• Bookworm
« Reply #12 on: January 10, 2022, 06:11:29 PM »