Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 19, 2024, 04:21:12 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Donate

We Appreciate Your Support

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 1685053
  • Total Topics: 118007
  • Online Today: 766
  • Online Ever: 2235
  • (October 29, 2023, 12:32:45 AM)
Users Online

Recent

Author Topic: Gid gud and die trying. - Dark Souls Board Game  (Read 10832 times)

Offline Battle Brush Sigur

• Mastermind
  • Brush-for-Hire
Re: Gid gud and die trying. - Dark Souls Board Game
« Reply #60 on: February 01, 2023, 10:15:45 PM »
@Belgian: Thanks very much!

@Roo: Many thanks!

@HappyChappy439: Cheers! I do try and take my research very seriously. ;)

Heyhey, happy new year. Which in turn means new Dark Soulsy things. Big things too, this time!

First, the Last Giant (after a tough day apparently):

The Executioner's Chariot (plus friends):

full size image: https://www.tabletopwelt.de/uploads/monthly_2023_02/exec2.jpg.73e2f8fbd8370c7e7a33f39fa580d1ef.jpg

full size image: https://www.tabletopwelt.de/uploads/monthly_2023_02/execGF2.jpg.10682b950e50b317312017daa2f2584b.jpg

full size image: https://www.tabletopwelt.de/uploads/monthly_2023_02/execGF3.jpg.a08a678f45cbb5128c9f58172e606caa.jpg

Certainly a very memorable boss fight. :)

...and here's the Gaping Dragon!

Working with that one was good, good fun.  I mean making the base and simply removing mold lines from ALL the teeth and filling gaps took several hours. And then the painting had me doubt my approach once or twice. But in the end he turned out really well I think. I'm happy with that chap. :) He's a big'un too, on a 15cm base, and overlapping quite considerably to the sides and back, as you can see.

Well, I hope that you like the guys. C&C welcome as always!
« Last Edit: June 16, 2023, 12:38:24 PM by Battle Brush Sigur »

Offline Elk101

• Elder God
« Reply #61 on: February 01, 2023, 10:29:16 PM »
Wow! :o

That's some impressive work.

Offline DalyDR

• Librarian
« Reply #62 on: February 01, 2023, 11:50:03 PM »
That's tremendous work, but, man, that "dragon" is messed up.  The bit of spittle or whathaveyou dripping from its maw is a perfect detail.

Offline LoxIslay

• Librarian
« Reply #63 on: February 02, 2023, 08:52:09 AM »
Amazing paint work as always  :-*

Offline FramFramson

• Elder God
  • But maybe everything that dies, someday comes back
« Reply #64 on: February 02, 2023, 06:59:56 PM »
That's tremendous work, but, man, that "dragon" is messed up.  The bit of spittle or whathaveyou dripping from its maw is a perfect detail.

Alright, I'll say it: It looks like he's squatting to piss.  lol

Still an incredible paintjob of a horrifying miniature. Dark Souls indeed.

I joined my gun with pirate swords, and sailed the seas of cyberspace.

Offline Little Odo

• Mastermind
    • Little Odo's Grand Days Out
« Reply #65 on: February 02, 2023, 07:38:48 PM »
Truly amazing painting on some out there miniatures. Great job  :-*
Little Odo's Grand Days Out
http://littleodo.blogspot.co.uk/

Offline HappyChappy439

• Mastermind
« Reply #66 on: February 03, 2023, 01:29:12 AM »
These are fantastic!

The blending on the Gaping Dragon's scales is absolutely top notch! Really well done!

• Mastermind
  • Brush-for-Hire
« Reply #67 on: February 06, 2023, 07:26:31 PM »
@Elk101: Thanks very much!

@DalyDR: Cheers! It's a pretty impressive model, that. :D You can't quite see it in the pictures, but he also has a big old pot belly dragging along the floor and a atrophied little head over the big maw. It's an impressive thing and - as all the impressive DS things - has a gripping backstory I never really read.

Just in case it helps, this video explains the mechanics behind the thing a litte: [youtube]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kVk4vtLEEV8[/youtube] :D

@LoxIslay: Many thanks!

@FramFramson: Believe me, there were worse-looking iterations of that before the final colouring. I mean that whole design is ever so slightly subtext-laden to begin with anyway, so why not have some fun. ;)

@Little Odo: Thanks very much!

@HappyChappy439: Cheers! Yes, painting that one was fun. At first I thought it's yet another grimdark black-grey monster with lots of teeth, so I was very happy to see the slight sheen on the creature when I watched the video. But when I saw that this is basically a shiny, rainbow-coloured dragon it was fun times ahead. :)

Today I delivered the figures to their owner and he gave me the last batch of Dark Souls bosses. After that I'll do some more smaller Dark Souls figures.

• Mastermind
  • Brush-for-Hire
« Reply #68 on: June 16, 2023, 12:39:31 PM »
Heyhey, here's even more bighuge bosses for the Dark Souls boardgame!

Manus, Father of the Abyss:

the challenge here was making a huge, seemingly all-grey thing look interesting. So I looked at pictures and videos and so on and tried to figure out where to add colour.

Four Kings:

Tricky, to say the least. You can watch the bossfight on youtube. These chaps are basically half-translucent fairies. Which is hard to translate to board game figures (which usually are cast less than filigrane), and the chaps are pretty darned big to begin with. Then you have to do the thing four times. The coloured blades I added myself, just to make the dudes appear just a little different from one another and add some sort of colour. As I keep on banging on, I put effort into getting the bases right with these figures, because the boss arenas especially are very much a part of the whole appearance and vibe of the Dark Souls bosses in the video games. the fight against these chaps takes place in a black hole. All I could do really was adding a tiny little bit of texture on the bases with a very slight purple hue.

Guardian Dragon:

{img]https://www.tabletopwelt.de/uploads/monthly_2023_04/gd4S.jpg.8b02d5d94d478f7e58f0d6820af754c1.jpg[/img]

Now this one's a different calibre. In my mind, a red dragon is the single best fantasy figure you can get. Everyone should own one. The more classic the better. None of that 90s flat-nosed D&D things. Alright, this figure out of the box looks slightly goofy. I asked the gentleman I paint these for if I was allowed to give the dragon a little rhinoplasty to turn his snoopy nose into an impressive beak, he allowed it, the dragon turned out lovely I think. Hope you like him as well! I had this one with me at 2 conventions, people really liked him.

Hope you do as well. :)

Offline Pattus Magnus

• Mastermind
« Reply #69 on: June 16, 2023, 03:37:16 PM »
They all look amazing! I wouldn’t have realized that the beak on the dragon wasn’t the original sculpt- your modification is very smooth. I expect that your client will be very happy with those!

Offline HappyChappy439

• Mastermind
« Reply #70 on: June 16, 2023, 03:58:00 PM »
Amazing work!

Manus looks amazing! the lighting is really impressive, and you've done a great job of making the figure look interesting, especially considering how dark his arena is in-game!

Really nice work on the Four Kings' weapons, the fluorescent effect against the grey ghosts is a really cool look! Almost makes me forget bashing my head against them for ages in NG++  lol

• Mastermind
  • Brush-for-Hire
« Reply #71 on: June 16, 2023, 09:09:56 PM »
@Pattus Magnus: Thank you! Yeah, I went about it pretty subtly, because I always worry about destroying or damaging the figures people give to me. Here's a painted version with the original snout: https://i.redd.it/aw9x2vfmw2j21.jpg.

@HappyChappy439: Thanks, Sir! Yeah, so many enemies in DS are basically a black/grey shadow of textures, claws and teeth, and it can be rather tough figuring out what they actually look like. :D Sometimes the original concept art helps. About the Four Kings: I clearly played DS2 way less than I thought I did, because I never encountered them. But from videos and such they do seem like a tough enemy to deal with.