Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 20, 2024, 02:54:14 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Donate

We Appreciate Your Support

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 1689757
  • Total Topics: 118293
  • Online Today: 786
  • Online Ever: 2235
  • (October 29, 2023, 01:32:45 AM)
Users Online

Recent

Author Topic: 28mm Painting: Where do I start?  (Read 2291 times)

Offline Billchuck

• Scientist
    • Velociengineer.net
Re: 28mm Painting: Where do I start?
« Reply #15 on: August 22, 2021, 09:55:14 PM »
I usually paint bottom to top: boots, pants, etc.  But if you’re having trouble with the face, paint the face and hair first. If you don’t like it, strip and try again.  Once you’re happy with the face you can work your way down.

Offline Andy in Germany

• Scientist
« Reply #16 on: August 23, 2021, 07:43:06 PM »
Tried army painter shades and Vallejo flesh wash.  This wins hands down for faces….

Out of interest, what is the difference between a "wash" and watered down paint, which is what I've used on models like this:

I have had trouble with surface tension, is that part of the equation?

Offline Andy in Germany

• Scientist
« Reply #17 on: August 23, 2021, 07:44:05 PM »
I usually paint bottom to top: boots, pants, etc.  But if you’re having trouble with the face, paint the face and hair first. If you don’t like it, strip and try again.  Once you’re happy with the face you can work your way down.

Good point, that may hold off the perfectionism a bit.

Offline 2010sunburst

• Scientist
« Reply #18 on: August 23, 2021, 08:01:02 PM »
Hi Andy
A wash is exactly that, you wash the diluted paint on in what is best described as a controlled flood.  It then flows into the crevices generating shadows. 
The difference between a wash and watered down paint is , as you say, surface tension.  The wash has flow aid included into the formula to reduce  this. There are other differences, such as more binder without pigment because over diluted  paint can break down and not adhere properly, but the biggest difference is flow aid.  You can make your own wash, but this stuff is just easier.  It’s always the right consistency and works very well.

Offline Billchuck

• Scientist
    • Velociengineer.net
« Reply #19 on: August 23, 2021, 09:38:39 PM »
Out of interest, what is the difference between a "wash" and watered down paint, which is what I've used on models like this:

I have had trouble with surface tension, is that part of the equation?

There are plenty of resources for making your own washes.  Here's a couple:
https://azazelx.com/2018/06/13/lester-bursleys-wash-recipe-and-tutorial-repost/

https://eclecticgamer.wordpress.com/2011/03/16/creating-washes-for-miniature-painting/

Offline Andy in Germany

• Scientist
« Reply #20 on: August 25, 2021, 08:55:47 PM »
Thanks. I'll keep a hold of all the links for later use.

I've ordered some very small bottles of flesh and black washes and I'll see how they work on this figure and a couple of other items, then see about making some of my own if I can get the hang of using them...

Offline Rick F

• Mad Scientist
« Reply #21 on: August 26, 2021, 08:49:17 PM »
The above advice is spot on, don't be scared to use the so called "cheating techniques" washes, contrast paints and dry brushing. It'll get figures on the table quickly and give you more time to try the more advanced methods,then it's just practice practice practice. For eyes I use an ultra fine black pen to dot the pupils (if it's a character I might put a dot of field blue on first) then with a fine brush put a tiny ivory dot either side.

Offline Andy in Germany

• Scientist
« Reply #22 on: August 29, 2021, 11:01:58 AM »
Thanks for the suggestions. I've bought two small wash bottles, the "Flesh tones" above and a black one, and I'll see how they work, then try and figure out how to get ingredients locally to make my own if all goes to plan. currently I'm gradually repainting the figure above to try and improve my quality... I'll post pictures if/when I actually achieve something...

Offline AzSteven

• Scientist
« Reply #23 on: August 30, 2021, 09:13:47 PM »
From the title of the thread, I almost wanted to reply "primer"  lol

I would say that Donkeymilkman's approach (start with the shirt/jumper under her top, then the jacket, the gun, and then the hands) is pretty similar to how I deal with it.  The one thing I always do first is I will paint the base in whatever main color I would be using when I really do the base after the figure is painted; its mostly so I can see how the colors on the figure are interacting with the base color to help me figure if I need to shift my base coloring strategy for this particular figure.

Offline Andy in Germany

• Scientist
« Reply #24 on: September 01, 2021, 09:06:18 PM »
Okay, version 2.0 is developing.

I'm not delighted with it in photo or reality but it's an improvement...

The clothes seem to have gone a bit better than the face. Will keep practicing...

Offline Storm Wolf

• Mad Scientist
« Reply #25 on: September 01, 2021, 09:09:00 PM »
Looks ok to me and its probably even better in real life and from 3 feet away.
Only the insane have strength enough to prosper. Only those who prosper may truly judge what is sane.

Offline Andy in Germany

• Scientist
« Reply #26 on: September 01, 2021, 09:26:09 PM »
I would say that Donkeymilkman's approach (start with the shirt/jumper under her top, then the jacket, the gun, and then the hands) is pretty similar to how I deal with it.  The one thing I always do... paint the base in whatever main color I would be using when I really do the base ... to help me figure if I need to shift my base coloring strategy for this particular figure.

Good point, will do that next time. It'll be interesting to see what that looks like...

Offline 2010sunburst

• Scientist
« Reply #27 on: September 01, 2021, 09:27:01 PM »
Looks pretty good to me.  Denims on that look excellent.  Face is OK as well,  It looks like some black wash has got on to the face a little, which has dulled the overall effect.  Perhaps re-instating the highlights on the nose, cheeks, forehead and point of chin will bring a little more light to it.