Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 28, 2024, 09:21:16 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Donate

We Appreciate Your Support

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 1686447
  • Total Topics: 118100
  • Online Today: 811
  • Online Ever: 2235
  • (October 29, 2023, 12:32:45 AM)
Users Online

Recent

Author Topic: Firing Line Regimental Museum, Cardiff Castle  (Read 843 times)

Offline carojon

• Mastermind
    • JJ's Wargames
Firing Line Regimental Museum, Cardiff Castle
« on: September 09, 2021, 09:02:52 AM »
I spent a very pleasant afternoon exploring the delights of Cardiff Castle last weekend and have put together a post looking at the collection of items in the castle and museum covering items and artefacts from the Roman period to modern day.

The Firing Line Regimental Museum is well worth a visit, should the opportunity present, with a significant collection of items relating to Welsh regiments service in the Napoleonic and War of 1812 period.

If you would like to know more then just follow the link to the blog.

https://jjwargames.blogspot.com/2021/09/long-weekend-in-cardiff-2021-cardiff.html

JJ
Often it is better to remain silent and let people think you are stupid than to open your mouth and remove all possible doubt.

http://jjwargames.blogspot.co.uk

Offline Jemima Fawr

• Mastermind
    • Jemima Fawr's Miniature Wargames Blog
Re: Firing Line Regimental Museum, Cardiff Castle
« Reply #1 on: September 09, 2021, 03:22:36 PM »
Excellent report!  I don't know if it's currently on display, but they used to have an original drummer's coat from the latter half of the Napoleonic Wars belonging to the Royal Carmarthenshire Fuzileers Militia.  Most unusual, as it was in the 'reversed colours' of blue with red facings, when the regulations stipulated that blue facings should not be reversed.

I am somewhat disappointed though, that your visit didn't take you to either the City Arms, the Goat Major or the Cambrian Tap...  ;)
Suffering from insomnia?  Too much excitement in your life?  Jemima Fawr's Miniature Wargames Blog might be just the solution you've been looking for: www.jemimafawr.co.uk

Offline Mr Steve

• Assistant
« Reply #2 on: September 09, 2021, 06:46:55 PM »
The Goat Major has reverted back to its old 1813 name :The Blue Bell

Offline Jemima Fawr

• Mastermind
« Reply #3 on: September 09, 2021, 08:45:41 PM »
The Goat Major has reverted back to its old 1813 name :The Blue Bell
Has it indeed?! :o

Offline carojon

• Mastermind
    • JJ's Wargames
« Reply #4 on: September 10, 2021, 08:13:21 AM »
Hi JF,
Thanks for your comment and now I will definitely have to go back as I didn’t notice the militia drummers jacket which I agree is a most interesting item, but with others in our party with a less developed interest in our subject matter I had to be conscious of not over playing the liberty granted to explore a military museum when a large shopping area was close at hand that was not on the visiting agenda for the day, hence my abbreviated coverage of the collection.

Thank you also for the reference to future beverage purveyors and I will no doubt have to rely on Mr Steve to enlighten me on the next time we have the opportunity to go exploring. :)

Offline Jemima Fawr

• Mastermind
« Reply #5 on: September 10, 2021, 10:11:07 AM »
Hi JF,
Thanks for your comment and now I will definitely have to go back as I didn’t notice the militia drummers jacket which I agree is a most interesting item, but with others in our party with a less developed interest in our subject matter I had to be conscious of not over playing the liberty granted to explore a military museum when a large shopping area was close at hand that was not on the visiting agenda for the day, hence my abbreviated coverage of the collection.

Thank you also for the reference to future beverage purveyors and I will no doubt have to rely on Mr Steve to enlighten me on the next time we have the opportunity to go exploring. :)
Well you can always claim a military history link to visit the City Arms, as the statue of Tasker Watkins VC is right outside. :)