Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 19, 2024, 10:57:47 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Donate

We Appreciate Your Support

Recent

Author Topic: War Rocket Ajax  (Read 1004 times)

Offline fastolfrus

• Galactic Brain
War Rocket Ajax
« on: October 07, 2021, 12:01:17 PM »
Not sure if this is the right board for this question, please move it if it isn't.

Has anyone built a model of War Rocket Ajax from Flash Gordon?

If so, do you have any hints. Or more appropriate, have you found any blueprints?

Considering it as a project for sometime in the New Year as I seem to have acquired a few FG style figures and thought it might be a good gaming background
Gary, Glynis, and Alasdair (there are three of us, but we are too mean to have more than one login)

Offline uti long smile

• Galactic Brain
Re: War Rocket Ajax
« Reply #1 on: October 07, 2021, 01:04:54 PM »
Not sure if this is the right board for this question, please move it if it isn't.

Has anyone built a model of War Rocket Ajax from Flash Gordon?

If so, do you have any hints. Or more appropriate, have you found any blueprints?

Considering it as a project for sometime in the New Year as I seem to have acquired a few FG style figures and thought it might be a good gaming background

Bombshell Miniatures did one as part of their last rocketship kickstarter.
Something Crooked this way comes...
http://www.crooked-dice.co.uk/
Wargaming in the world of Cult TV

Offline Westfalia Chris

• Cardboard Warlord
  • Administrator
  • Galactic Brain
  • Elaborate! Elucidate! Evaluate!
« Reply #2 on: October 07, 2021, 01:13:45 PM »
I considered doing one last year when I painted up the CD pulp-fi figures for my collection, but never quite got around to it.

I think I still have a Martin Bowers article on building it from a 1993 magazine which I could scan for you if you are interested, since, sadly, his website seems to have gone the way of the Mongonian dodo. Edit: sorry, must have been a 1998 issue which I may have gotten rid of in the meantime, but the pictures were rather poor and grainy, anyway.

There's also a pricy collectible model, which looks beautiful,  though. A number of high quality pics of that one here: https://www.sideshow.com/collectibles/flash-gordon-war-rocket-ajax-chronicle-collectibles-903522
« Last Edit: October 07, 2021, 04:41:59 PM by Westfalia Chris »

Offline uti long smile

• Galactic Brain
« Reply #3 on: October 07, 2021, 02:01:08 PM »
I considered doing one last year when I painted up the CD pulp-fi figures for my collection, but never quite got around to it.

I think I still have a Martin Bowers article on building it from a 1993 magazine which I could scan for you if you are interested, since, sadly, his website seems to have gone the way of the Mongonian dodo.

There's also a pricy collectible model, which looks beautiful,  though. A number of high quality pics of that one here: https://www.sideshow.com/collectibles/flash-gordon-war-rocket-ajax-chronicle-collectibles-903522

I have Ernst sculpting some suitable trooper crew for this too....

Offline Westfalia Chris

• Cardboard Warlord
  • Administrator
  • Galactic Brain
  • Elaborate! Elucidate! Evaluate!
« Reply #4 on: October 07, 2021, 02:15:13 PM »
I have Ernst sculpting some suitable trooper crew for this too....

Glory to Ming!  lol

That said, I think I shelved the project since even in a condensed scale, it would have to be a huge piece. On the other hand, the glorious Pulp Zeppelin by the Scottish Connection showed how it could be done as a proper wargame board in it's own right.

Offline tin shed gamer

• Supporting Adventurer
  • Scatterbrained Genius
« Reply #5 on: October 07, 2021, 04:38:49 PM »
Tony( damfpanzerwagon) made a Pulp/ Gorden inspired one, a couple of years ago. Drop him a PM.
I have to agree with Chris building the Ajax is a tricky one for Scale compression.
My 'simple' flyer is just shy of two and a half feet.( the board is 3'3" wide)

I definitely think you could make either one of the smaller ships or one inspired by the Ajax.

Infact you couldn't have picked a better time to start collecting bit for a build. Christmas decorations are a god send. ( also good for onion domes on Islamic and Russian buildings.)
Decrotative bell's make for plausible engine nozzles.

If I remember rightly Tony used plastic wine glasses as a starting point.

Offline aliensurfer

• Mastermind
« Reply #6 on: October 07, 2021, 10:35:00 PM »
Didn't they do an article on building one in WI in the last (I think) year or two? I think I have it still, if so I'll let you know which issue.