Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 29, 2024, 03:57:30 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Donate

We Appreciate Your Support

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 1686668
  • Total Topics: 118120
  • Online Today: 817
  • Online Ever: 2235
  • (October 29, 2023, 12:32:45 AM)
Users Online

Recent

Author Topic: Bearwoodman's Silver Bayonet  (Read 8495 times)

Offline Bearwoodman

• Mad Scientist
Bearwoodman's Silver Bayonet
« on: November 09, 2021, 11:48:30 PM »
Like a number of other posters this game has caught my imagination despite me never having played it! It appears that (according to the excellent precedent set by Cat and McYellowbelly) that one's first Silver Bayonet post has to involve a Goblin.  That being the case, here is mine:

I don't have the rulebook yet so I am not really sure if there is a fluff-compliant explanation as to why he is wearing some semblance of a British uniform. Has he taken the King's shilling? (I don't know enough about the recruitment criteria of the day to judge whether he falls foul of any particular requirement). Perhaps he a beneficiary of His Majesty's Government's policy of providing materiel assistance to anyone willing to take up arms against Napoleon (whether they have green pointy ears or not)? Or, a more sinister possibility, is he wearing clothing unceremoniously stripped from the body of a noble but unfortunate victim? No doubt all will be revealed in due course.

Offline Cat

• Mastermind
  • All Purpose Neko-Sensei
    • Goblinhall
Re: Bearwoodman's Silver Bayonet
« Reply #1 on: November 10, 2021, 02:24:47 AM »
Hmm, Goblins lead the way!  Very fun green skinned red coat.

Perhaps he politely left some rabbit pelts in exchange when making off with the uniform in the night.

Offline Grumpy Gnome

• Galactic Brain
    • The Grumpy Gnome
« Reply #2 on: November 10, 2021, 06:55:01 AM »
When Wellington spoke of having “the scum of the Earth”….

Great brushwork mate!
Home of the Grumpy Gnome

https://thegrumpygnome.home.blog/

Offline nicknorthstar

• Supporting Adventurer
  • Scatterbrained Genius
« Reply #3 on: November 10, 2021, 08:42:07 AM »
Hi Bearwoodman

If you play the game strictly, you'll be hunting down Goblins rather than playing them. Plus they have an aversion to gunpowder, so your guy would be armed more with a spear than a musket & bayonet.

The rules are the raw material you build your own adventures on, you could have recruited a new kind of Goblin to your Unit.

Offline OSHIROmodels

• Supporting Adventurer
  • Elder God
  • Custom terrain a speciality.
    • Oshiro modelterrain
« Reply #4 on: November 10, 2021, 08:53:56 AM »
Looks great  :)
cheers

James

https://www.oshiromodels.co.uk/

Twitter account -     @OSHIROmodels
Instagram account - oshiromodels

http://redplanetminiatures.blogspot.co.uk/
http://jimbibblyblog.blogspot.com/

Offline Chief Lackey Rich

• Mastermind
« Reply #5 on: November 10, 2021, 05:47:39 PM »
Hi Bearwoodman

If you play the game strictly, you'll be hunting down Goblins rather than playing them. Plus they have an aversion to gunpowder, so your guy would be armed more with a spear than a musket & bayonet.

The rules are the raw material you build your own adventures on, you could have recruited a new kind of Goblin to your Unit.

I think you can reasonably expect many players to do nonhuman warbands using the rules for different nationalities.  Flintloque has been around for around 30 years and many of its players are probably watching this rule set already.

An amusing twist might be to do all the Silver Bayonet player crews with Flintloque orc (or orques or whatever the goofy spelling is), elves, dogmen, etc, etc while using various human figs (perhaps different classes of adventurer figs from various RPG lines) as replacements for your SB monsters.  A world with no humans at all would probably see a bunch of D&D style murder hobos as a dangerous supernatural incursion, and quite rightly so.

"They were horrible to behold!  Like starving beardless Dwarves but stretched to almost twice their height, with sickly pinkish skin like an unhealthy pig.  We'd never have escaped alive if they'd been properly armed, but thankfully whatever hell they crawled out of doesn't seem to have discovered musketry."  - Private Orkle Orkington, 33rd Orcshire Regiment

Offline nicknorthstar

• Supporting Adventurer
  • Scatterbrained Genius
« Reply #6 on: November 10, 2021, 05:57:43 PM »
That's the premise of 'I Am Legend' isn't it? The book of course, not Charlton Heston or Will Smith.

Offline Chief Lackey Rich

• Mastermind
« Reply #7 on: November 10, 2021, 08:48:35 PM »
That's the premise of 'I Am Legend' isn't it? The book of course, not Charlton Heston or Will Smith.

Pretty close, yeah.  Vincent Price's film version is considerably more faithful to the book, but still wanders a bit - and Matheson utterly hated it despite admitting it was pretty true to his original.

Offline nicknorthstar

• Supporting Adventurer
  • Scatterbrained Genius
« Reply #8 on: November 10, 2021, 09:08:54 PM »
WWWWWHHHHHAAAATTTT

There's a third film version?

Passed me by  lol

Read the book a few times, I like the other two films but they really miss the fundamental point of the book IMHO

Offline Grumpy Gnome

• Galactic Brain
    • The Grumpy Gnome
« Reply #9 on: November 11, 2021, 06:41:12 AM »
I have not read the book and was surprised by the tone of the Vincent Price version, especially the ending.

Given the game allows Werebears and. Dhampirs to be in the units, I do not think it is much of a stretch for a Goblin to take the King‘s Shillimg.
« Last Edit: November 11, 2021, 07:39:14 AM by Grumpy Gnome »

Offline Blackwolf

• Potato Cup 3 winner
  • Supporting Adventurer
  • Galactic Brain
« Reply #10 on: November 11, 2021, 06:45:19 AM »
Excellent work Bear 8)

And by the way; the novel I am Legend is excellent,much better than any of the films :)
May the Wolf  Walk With You
http://greywolf1066.blogspot.com.au/

Painting Clubs Joined: APC,MPC, PPC,PAPC,LPC.

Offline nicknorthstar

• Supporting Adventurer
  • Scatterbrained Genius
« Reply #11 on: November 11, 2021, 11:31:01 AM »
Given the game allows Werebears and. Dhampirs to be in the units, I do not think it is much of a stretch for a Goblin to take the King‘s Shilling.

Ah, you'll see why when you get the book. But it's Joe's background, you don't have to stick to it, you can make it your own.

Nick

Offline Grumpy Gnome

• Galactic Brain
    • The Grumpy Gnome
« Reply #12 on: November 11, 2021, 12:13:22 PM »
Given the game allows Werebears and. Dhampirs to be in the units, I do not think it is much of a stretch for a Goblin to take the King‘s Shilling.

Ah, you'll see why when you get the book. But it's Joe's background, you don't have to stick to it, you can make it your own.

Nick

I excitedly await it.

Offline Bearwoodman

• Mad Scientist
« Reply #13 on: November 11, 2021, 08:46:25 PM »
Thanks all for the encouraging words!

Thanks also for the goblin info Nick. Now that I have the rule book in my hand I can see that my green-skinned Redcoat is not a "Goblin" as per the silver Bayonet Bestiary. Luckily I have a supply of regular fantasy goblins armed with hand weapons that will do for these.

I like your idea, Chief Lackey Rich, of non-human units and human monsters. Unfortunately my goblin is a one-off conversion of a figure given to me by a friend, so I will not be producing a whole battalion! I may just take the Grumpy Gnome's advice and use him as an Infantryman in a British unit. If he keeps his nose out of trouble and his musket clean (and stays in the rear rank out of sight of any overly fastidious officers) I am sure no one will ask too many awkward questions.

I have to say I was not expecting book recommendations on this thread Blackwolf, but thank you! I have added it to my Silver Bayonet reading list...

Up next will be a couple more monsters and then a few (human) Redcoats...

Offline Blackwolf

• Potato Cup 3 winner
  • Supporting Adventurer
  • Galactic Brain
« Reply #14 on: November 11, 2021, 08:49:16 PM »
Bear, now that’s a good pile!