Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 28, 2024, 11:54:12 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Donate

We Appreciate Your Support

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 1686596
  • Total Topics: 118110
  • Online Today: 857
  • Online Ever: 2235
  • (October 29, 2023, 12:32:45 AM)
Users Online

Recent

Author Topic: (WIP) Tilting at Windmills - sails completed  (Read 1752 times)

Offline David H

• Scientist
(WIP) Tilting at Windmills - sails completed
« on: November 18, 2021, 12:54:36 PM »
As I have been struggling to find the motivation to paint figures since the summer I am trying to gain some momentum by working on terrain pieces.

First off is a windmill for Peninsula war scenarios.

Step one: take one empty coffee tin, these are just about the right size (Nescafe Azera - other brands available).

Step two: coat the exterior of the tin with PVA glue to provide a base for the filler.

Step 3: when the PVA has dried cover the exterior of the tin with filler. I will add a doorway and windows later, just cutting in to the filler rather than cutting through the tin.

Step 4: make the base for the roof. I actually used the template from European Buildings by F Richter and P Dennis, enlarging it on to paper by 142% and using it to cut out a stiff cardboard template on to which I can glue suitable tiling.

« Last Edit: November 25, 2021, 10:15:24 AM by David H »

Offline fred

• Galactic Brain
    • Miniature Gaming
Re: (WIP) Tilting at Windmills
« Reply #1 on: November 18, 2021, 01:36:55 PM »
Looking very promising - the roof looks great.

The first photo of the raw can, is almost an optical illusion!

Offline has.been

• Galactic Brain
« Reply #2 on: November 18, 2021, 01:55:31 PM »
Nice so far. I will follow with interest.
Where did you source the suitable tiling?

Offline David H

• Scientist
« Reply #3 on: November 18, 2021, 02:06:45 PM »
Looking very promising - the roof looks great.

The first photo of the raw can, is almost an optical illusion!
I know what you mean - its like one of those 3D prints that you have to stare at cross eyed to see the proper image!

Offline David H

• Scientist
« Reply #4 on: November 18, 2021, 02:09:18 PM »
Nice so far. I will follow with interest.
Where did you source the suitable tiling?

I have had this sheet in my stash for years and cannot remember where it came from. Its an A4 sheet of vac formed styrene making it very easy to cut, although it lacks a little definition. But it beats trying to cut the Wills styrene sheeting!

Offline has.been

• Galactic Brain
« Reply #5 on: November 18, 2021, 03:22:05 PM »
But it beats trying to cut the Wills styrene sheeting!

I know what you mean.  lol
I would like tiling, but would probably opt
for some thatching, as it would be easier. :)

Offline David H

• Scientist
« Reply #6 on: November 18, 2021, 03:44:02 PM »
I know what you mean.  lol
I would like tiling, but would probably opt
for some thatching, as it would be easier. :)

I wanted something distinctly Mediterranean and am quite happy to have a dishevelled look to the tiling - after all its a mill and not a grand residence.

You will see from my last picture that I pasted the print from the book onto the cardboard to see if it was usable, but the quality of the print and the colour was not what I wanted, so tiles it is!

I added another layer of card to the top section for more rigidity and for a more interesting roof profile, and then started cutting strips of tiles from the tile sheet. These are just glued on with PVA. The circular roof really requires the tiles to be wider at the bottom than at the top but thats not an option so I just have to space them out leaving a bigger gap at the edge. From what I have seen on my travels this sort of tiling always appears pretty haphazard anyway with lots of cement filling in gaps. I will wash the whole thing over with thin filler to cover the worst of it. ;)

Progress so far:

Offline fred

• Galactic Brain
    • Miniature Gaming
« Reply #7 on: November 18, 2021, 05:33:27 PM »
Tiling the roof is a good choice, the roof tends to get seen the most, so having it with 3D texture improves the overall look of the building. With MDF kits, adding tiles to the roof helps lift the otherwise flat structure.

Offline David H

• Scientist
« Reply #8 on: November 18, 2021, 10:19:31 PM »
Tiling the roof is a good choice, the roof tends to get seen the most, so having it with 3D texture improves the overall look of the building. With MDF kits, adding tiles to the roof helps lift the otherwise flat structure.

Agreed - circular roofs are just a bit of a pain, but I have made progress and also added the structure for the spindle of the windmill. I should get this completed tomorrow.

Offline OSHIROmodels

• Supporting Adventurer
  • Elder God
  • Custom terrain a speciality.
    • Oshiro modelterrain
« Reply #9 on: November 18, 2021, 11:07:00 PM »
Looks good so far  :)
cheers

James

https://www.oshiromodels.co.uk/

Twitter account -     @OSHIROmodels
Instagram account - oshiromodels

http://redplanetminiatures.blogspot.co.uk/
http://jimbibblyblog.blogspot.com/

Offline David H

• Scientist
« Reply #10 on: November 19, 2021, 05:20:31 PM »
The roof is now finished, and has been washed with a slurry - its drying at the moment so photos later.

I added some wooden panelling on the front where the spindle will go - just balsa wood with deeper grain added with a blunt pencil.

Offline David H

• Scientist
« Reply #11 on: November 20, 2021, 09:38:35 AM »
The roof has now had a slurry of filler, water , and PVA applied. This has filled in the gaps nicely and is now ready for paint.

I drilled a hole in the balsa to accept the 6mm spindle for the sails. This goes through to the back of the roof and will be fitted with a slot to allow removal in case it needs to be transported.

The roof will be slotted into the building body which will allow its removal and also enable it to be turned (to face the prevailing wind  ;) ). I made a cardboard tube that fits tightly into the building body and cut the tabs at the top to allow it to be glued inside the roof.

With the roof complete I started on the building, making a door from balsa, scribing the planking, and cut the filler away from the building to fit the door. As the building is round I had to create some flat surfaces to fit the door and lintel. A window above the door has also been cut out and levelled in the same way.

I use lightweight filler from Toolstation (used to be available from Wilko, but they have ceased stocking it). This is excellent stuff and very easy to cut and shape. It retains a rubbery flexibility and can be peeled away once cut. Its also excellent for terrain boards as it does not shrink and is very light.

A start has been made on the sails. Two holes have been drilled in the main spindle and barbecue sticks cut for the main cross pieces. There is very little surface area to attach the actual sails so I need to think about how to secure these and enable them to stand up to wargaming usage. PVA, superglue, and possibly twine are my current thoughts.

Offline marianas_gamer

• Scatterbrained Genius
  • Our Man on Guam Watchman in the East
« Reply #12 on: November 22, 2021, 07:55:23 PM »
Looking good. I can sympathize about the tiling. It turned out well.
Got to kick at the darkness till it bleeds daylight.

Offline Mason

• Elder God
  • Eternal Butterfly!
    • Blind Beggar Miniatures
« Reply #13 on: November 23, 2021, 02:56:41 PM »
Looking good!
 8)

Offline David H

• Scientist
« Reply #14 on: November 25, 2021, 10:14:58 AM »
Looking good!
 8)

Thanks.

Looking good. I can sympathize about the tiling. It turned out well.

Thanks, a bit fiddly, but turned out OK. Its not strictly accurate, but looks more interesting than wood.

The sails have been completed. I used Paul Darnells method - self adhesive plastering scrim stuck to a frame made of coffee stirrers. They seem pretty sturdy. The first 2 have been stuck to the arms.

All the windows have been cut out so now it just needs touching up with filler, and some stone work scribed into the surface.