Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 27, 2024, 04:51:51 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Donate

We Appreciate Your Support

Recent

Author Topic: Sewer water effects?  (Read 1053 times)

Offline agoodall

• Student
    • Hyperbear
Sewer water effects?
« on: December 12, 2021, 04:12:42 AM »
Hi everyone. What is a good way to model sewer water, assuming you already have a sewer model? I saw someone recommend Woodland Scenics' Water Effects, but from what I can see their Realistic Water looks more useful, with the other product for texture. Yet another person suggested clear nail polish.

Has anyone modeled a sewer? If so, how did you do it?
Scottish-born Canadian-American software manager, database analyst, game designer and writer.

Offline SotF

• Mad Scientist
  • Shadow Of The Future
Re: Sewer water effects?
« Reply #1 on: December 12, 2021, 09:44:43 PM »
Depending upon what you want with the sewer water, there are a lot of options.

I'd made a few sewer tiles for D&D a few years ago, and I'd used high gloss polyurethane for the main water effect. I'd painted beneath it and mixed a little bit of a few green inks into the polyurethane, and also used some brown and darker green fine flock sprinkled in between layers there. Adding other bits and pieces of detritus as I went. Then I added a layer of gloss mod podge over the top.

Offline snitcythedog

• Supporting Adventurer
  • Scatterbrained Genius
    • Snitchys blog
« Reply #2 on: December 12, 2021, 11:24:58 PM »
agoodall  Try looking around before you pull the trigger and purchase something.  Personally I would stay away from the woodland scenics products for war gaming.  I have found that the surface that they create ends up a bit too soft and will show marks from minis bases when used on the table.  My go to has always been resin.  Here is a good toot:  https://hirstarts.com/tips17/tips17.html#plan  For pouring resin in your sewers do not pour too deep.  Resin can generate heat when curing and if you pour past 1/4 inch you could damage foam or plastics that are going to be embedded in the surface. 
A bottle of scotch and two aspirin a day will greatly reduce your awareness of heart disease.
"Never argue with a fool, onlookers may not be able to tell the difference"... Mark Twain
http://snitchythedog.blogspot.com

Offline agoodall

• Student
    • Hyperbear
« Reply #3 on: December 13, 2021, 05:36:21 AM »
Thanks, folks, that's a lot of help. I'll look into various options. I hadn't thought about the WS stuff being too soft.

Offline DS615

• Scientist
    • Fandango Alpha
« Reply #4 on: December 13, 2021, 01:18:56 PM »
I've used several versions of the WS water, and never had an issue with it being too soft.

Note, for the Realistic Water product you want to store it flat.  I used it on some 2'x4' boards, and stored them vertically.  After a fully year, the water had flowed 1/4", making a bulge where the river left the board.  So I flipped it over.  Another Year later, and it was back to being flush.
The boards are used only in a game we play after Christmas, so honestly only view it yearly.

Other times I used it (ponds, wells, oasis, etc.) there's no issue.  It was just being vertical for a year that did it.
- Scott

Offline FifteensAway

• Galactic Brain
« Reply #5 on: December 15, 2021, 02:04:30 AM »
My go to for water is acrylic gloss medium - and readily tinted with acrylic paints.  Can do many layers for depth effects and more.

Now, don't forget a few unsavory 'floaties' in your sewer model!   :o

Offline Cacique Caribe

• Mastermind
  • Gelatinous Legal Alien
« Reply #6 on: December 15, 2021, 06:12:24 AM »
My go to for water is acrylic gloss medium - and readily tinted with acrylic paints.  Can do many layers for depth effects and more.

Now, don't forget a few unsavory 'floaties' in your sewer model!   :o

Yes, and the occasional string of bubbles coming from unseen sewer dwellers.

Dan

Offline agoodall

• Student
    • Hyperbear
« Reply #7 on: December 16, 2021, 06:36:49 PM »
The acrylic gloss medium sounds like my best bet. Thank you! The fact that the WS water effect doesn't actually harden makes me want to nope away from it.