Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 28, 2024, 04:18:55 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Donate

We Appreciate Your Support

Recent

Author Topic: Gauls vs various enemies - the campaign continues  (Read 2412 times)

Offline BillK

• Supporting Adventurer
  • Scientist
Gauls vs various enemies - the campaign continues
« on: January 05, 2022, 02:00:46 PM »
Our club members that play a lot of Ancients have adopted Triumph! as their standard rules set. After working hard for over 40 years to avoid the Ancients' plague, they have recently gotten me into their games. Finding Triumph! to be a fast, easy to play, and enjoyable game.

Here are a couple of pics from a 15mm Gauls vs Roman game played earlier this week. Most of the Gauls were Thistle & Rose miniatures while the Romans were a mix of Old Glory and Thistle & Rose. Will try to get better close-up pics next time .

Additional pics taken by another club member. The red d10 are being used to track action and aren't part of the game system.

« Last Edit: March 01, 2022, 02:18:47 PM by BillK »

Offline Major_Gilbear

• Scatterbrained Genius
  • God-Emperor of Dune
Re: Gauls vs Romans - more pics
« Reply #1 on: January 06, 2022, 10:32:54 PM »
They look great, although I confess that I've not come across Thistle & Rose miniatures before... Do they have a non-FB webstore/webpage at all?
Also, any pics of your Romans from the front?  :)

Offline VonAkers

• Scientist
« Reply #2 on: January 07, 2022, 05:35:03 AM »
Looks like DBA ..??

Offline BillK

• Supporting Adventurer
  • Scientist
« Reply #3 on: January 07, 2022, 02:27:43 PM »
@Major_Gilbear, they have a FB page and I know the owners are getting ready to launch a website with their Thistle & Rose and Classic Vendel (they own the Vendel 28mm ancients range) products. Another club game is scheduled in two weeks and I'll try to get better pictures.

@VonAkers, not being a dyed-in-the-wool ancients guy, actually an ancients newbie, and never having played dba, I can't speak to that.

Offline Major_Gilbear

• Scatterbrained Genius
  • God-Emperor of Dune
« Reply #4 on: January 07, 2022, 03:28:59 PM »
Looks like DBA ..??

I think Triumph! is quite similar to (and may in part be based off) DBA. Basing is therefore also similar, although I believe unit categorisations between the games do differ.

Also, where basing is concerned, many of the popular 15mm Ancients games use very similar or the same basing conventions as DBA because if nothing else, it just makes sense to go with what most players probably already have.

@Major_Gilbear, they have a FB page and I know the owners are getting ready to launch a website with their Thistle & Rose and Classic Vendel (they own the Vendel 28mm ancients range) products.
That's good news! I look forward to perusing their store when it's up. I presume they're US-based, but hopefully they make arrangements to get a UK distributor too.

Another club game is scheduled in two weeks and I'll try to get better pictures.
Thank you, that's very kind! :)

Offline vtsaogames

• Mastermind
    • Corlears Hook Fencibles
« Reply #5 on: January 11, 2022, 10:35:23 PM »
Looks like DBA ..??

Triumph! was designed by players unhappy with DBA 3.0. It is similar in scope, but with a points system so that each side doesn't always have 12 elements. One side might have up to 20 elements. There are other differences. It's a small game that should take about an hour to play.
And the glorious general led the advance
With a glorious swish of his sword and his lance
And a glorious clank of his tin-plated pants. - Dr. Seuss

My blog: http://corlearshookfencibles.blogspot.com/

Offline BillK

• Supporting Adventurer
  • Scientist
Re: Gauls vs various enemies - new pics
« Reply #6 on: January 18, 2022, 03:03:47 PM »
Pics, with close-ups as requested, from another night of Triumph! games at the club.

Offline Major_Gilbear

• Scatterbrained Genius
  • God-Emperor of Dune
« Reply #7 on: January 18, 2022, 03:17:29 PM »
Lovely figures, and lovely paintjobs too! Thank you for the close-ups, they're appreciated.  :)

Offline Easy E

• Mastermind
  • Just some guy who does stuff
    • Blood and Spectacles
« Reply #8 on: January 20, 2022, 10:59:54 PM »
Great looking models. 

Glad you are having fun and welcome to Ancients.
Support Blood and Spectacles Publishing:
https://www.patreon.com/Bloodandspectaclespublishing

Offline BillK

• Supporting Adventurer
  • Scientist
Re: Gauls vs various enemies - update1
« Reply #9 on: February 22, 2022, 02:51:56 PM »
Yesterday we started a 6-player, Triumph! campaign game within the club. It includes an Early German army, a Roman army, and four Gallic armies. I am Helvetii. Some pics from the opening night's action.

Offline mellis1644

• Mad Scientist
    • Adventures in painting
Re: Gauls vs various enemies - update1
« Reply #10 on: February 22, 2022, 07:44:16 PM »
Those look great and Triumph does give a good game. Glad to see you succumbed to ancients and found it's not as bad as some people think. :)
My painting blog is at: http://mellis1644.wordpress.com/

Offline BillK

• Supporting Adventurer
  • Scientist
Re: Gauls vs various enemies - the campaign continues
« Reply #11 on: March 01, 2022, 02:27:45 PM »
Last night was the second round of games in our club's Triumph! campaign. The player with the least ancients' experience, yours truly, playing the Helvetii, is currently on top... but just. Next week will see the final round of play. Plan to wrap-up this thread after next week's report. A reminder, the ten-sided dice are not part of the Triumph! game system, just something we use in the club to track combat during various battles.

Am enjoying the game, and the campaign, and may have to purchase some Thistle & Rose figures to build up my own ancients' armies (just what I need, another period). Enjoy the pics.