Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 29, 2024, 12:23:59 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Donate

We Appreciate Your Support

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 1691074
  • Total Topics: 118370
  • Online Today: 804
  • Online Ever: 2235
  • (October 29, 2023, 01:32:45 AM)
Users Online

Recent

Author Topic: Building Log. Ramshackle Huntsman Spider Tank (Warning, Picture heavy)  (Read 12038 times)

Offline The Worker

• Bookworm
  • In the streets of London, sinister deeds are afoot
Re: Building Log. Ramshackle Huntsman Spider Tank (Warning, Picture heavy)
« Reply #15 on: December 17, 2009, 10:57:23 AM »
Wow!

That's an incredible model. Quick question - is the driver female?

Offline Hauptgefreiter

• Mastermind
per aspera ad astra

Offline The Worker

• Bookworm
« Reply #17 on: December 17, 2009, 12:56:34 PM »
Excellent! Six limbs on her, too! I think my Slaaneshi renegades are going to get a steam-powered 'Defiler' at some point in the coming year... lol

Offline Little Pete

• Bookworm
« Reply #18 on: December 17, 2009, 02:23:56 PM »
@Rob Alderman. The resin stopped being sticky a few days after I finished assembly. It's been great at taking paint also, which is nice. I've heard enough horror stories about Forge World resin resisting all attempts to paint it.

@The Worker. The driver is a mutated female and the cockpit assembly looks really intricate. I'm looking forward to painting it up soon. I just don't have the energy to get going on such a big model yet. I'm finishing up my standard 28mm figures before I break out my work on the big models.

I can also say that the 40k rules I came up with worked out pretty well in game to make a powerful but not overpowered unit.

Offline The Worker

• Bookworm
« Reply #19 on: December 17, 2009, 02:33:51 PM »
I look forwards to your painting of this beastie.

Any chance of sticking your homegrown rules up?

Offline Little Pete

• Bookworm
« Reply #20 on: December 17, 2009, 02:43:02 PM »
Already done in one of my other threads but just for you:

Name: Huntsman Spider Tank
Type: Super-heavy walker but moves as a fleet walker (6" + d6" + 6" assault)
Structure Points: 3
Armour (Front/side/rear): 13/13/10
Ballistic Skill: 3
Weapon Skill: 2
Attacks: 3 at Strength 10 (2D6 armour penetration) with no armour saves allowed OR stomp attack (1 attack at each model in contact with it during assault phase resolved at WS and I 1. S10 power weapon, 2D6 penetration)

Weapons:
 - Turret Mounted Demolisher cannon (R:24", S:10, AP:2, Ordnance 1, Barrage)
 - 2x chin mounted Rail rifles (R:36", S:6, AP:3, Heavy 2, twin-linked)
 - Two crushing claws (-1A per claw destroyed)

The normal apocalypse damage tables apply. In the absence of a base, we decided to measure movement from the front of the cockpit and ruled that assaults could be made to any part of the model. Overall it's a nasty beast because of the ability to split fire and assault anything in range but does not kill a regular game if you know that it's coming.
 There is a battle report of the game with it on my blog at http://ghostnebulae.blogspot.com/2009/12/battle-report-against-old-shatter-hands.html

Offline The Worker

• Bookworm
« Reply #21 on: December 17, 2009, 02:59:25 PM »
Cheers! Seems reasonable to me. I may well nick that and use it with a few alterations if/when I pick one of these beautiful models up.

Offline Little Pete

• Bookworm
« Reply #22 on: December 17, 2009, 03:16:59 PM »
We also had the idea to bump it up to armour 14 and make it a normal walker if you don't want to use the apocalypse rules. Since a big part of the power is that it can split fire and selectively assault, this should help bring it down to a scary, but normal, power level for regular 40k. Basically just keep the power level in check and test it for a game or two.

In all honesty, the biggest issue with using it is that the model is so big that terrain often gets in the way of moving it.

You should definitely pick up one of these models though. It's a really great kit that is just so full of detail. I'd love to see one done up in Slaaneshi themes as well. It'd be very creepy.

Offline The Worker

• Bookworm
« Reply #23 on: December 17, 2009, 03:50:11 PM »
I like your blog, by the way - linked to it from my own!

Oh, very creepy. I think it could stand a small conversion by removing the centre pair of legs, giving it six limbs to fit in with the sacred number concept.

As for paintscheme, I think a nice black and white patterned affair with screaming soul-faces picked out in grey would look jolly nice, and perhaps some cavorting Daemonettes on the top... hmm... food for thought, certainly!

Offline Ramshackle_Curtis

• Mastermind
    • http://www.ramshacklegames.co.uk/
« Reply #24 on: January 09, 2010, 11:15:13 AM »
Yeah, nice work! Really good in depth review, thanks!

My only comment is use superglue! Its actually stronger than the resin and much easier than epoxy, haha!

Offline Little Pete

• Bookworm
« Reply #25 on: January 09, 2010, 10:08:44 PM »
I promise that I will start painting this again soon and add some updates. I've been very busy over the holidays and haven't done nearly as much hobby stuff as I would like to. Now I find that curtis is making Nuclear Renaissance 2 and so I need to paint up my backlog in preparation for all the cool new figures.

Curtis, I tried with superglue but I've not really had any luck finding a brand or type that really bonds anything well (metal or resin). It was the frustration of that which turned me on to using epoxy. At least then, drying time is an issue but once it is dry, nothing will break it apart. Also it helps gap fill parts if you don't have a totally flat surface.

PS: I wish the printers would hurry up on NR 2

Offline The Worker

• Bookworm
« Reply #26 on: January 12, 2010, 11:42:02 AM »
Yes, stuff like Araldite really is the business for permanently fixing part A to part B with no chance of ever getting them apart again.

Probably what I'll use.

Do Ramshackle attend Salute?

Offline Ramshackle_Curtis

• Mastermind
    • http://www.ramshacklegames.co.uk/
« Reply #27 on: January 13, 2010, 05:19:05 PM »
I went to salute once but it is pretty expensive for a stall. Depands how good the sales of the new game are, maybe I can get a space....

Offline Little Pete

• Bookworm
« Reply #28 on: January 13, 2010, 05:22:15 PM »
Well judging by the response on the forums I've seen you should have a pretty good turnover of this game. It's certainly got a great amount of value and I can't wait to make the most of it.

I imagine that's always the challenge for smaller businesses with events. I work in sales at a radio station now so I understand the issue of how much to pay versus how much return you will get.

Offline Little Pete

• Bookworm
« Reply #29 on: January 18, 2010, 03:23:33 PM »
Just a quick note to say that I tried superglue again on the Ramshackle truck that I'm kitbashing from Miscast parts and it really does work.

The trick is that you must get a flat bonding surface so sanding/shaving parts is in order on some of the miscasts in particular.

I will post up pictures of my basic pickup truck and my funky tracka-trucka-trike when I get a chance.