Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 27, 2024, 07:48:45 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Donate

We Appreciate Your Support

Recent

Author Topic: Roman Imperial Legion vs Orcs - NARAN FANTASY WARS (Fantasy Warriors)  (Read 2076 times)

Offline LotB

• Scientist
    • NARAN TEAM TURIN
Hello,
here is the link to the page of our site where I put the images of the last, funny battle of Naran Fantasy Wars (our expanded version of  FANTASY WARRIORS), which we played in the days from 30 December 2021 to 2 January 2022:
ROMAN IMPERIAL LEGION  against ORCS

http://www.naran.it/FantasyWars/Immagini/Battaglie/Legione_Orchi_02-01-2022/Battle.html

In this battle they were employed two armies for which there are their "army - books" translated into English.
Good sight.
Best regards,

Sergio & Sandro
Naran Team Torino
http://www.naran.it/naran

And in preview here are some selected pictures:

Offline Cubs

• Galactic Brain
  • "I simply cannot survive without beauty ..."
Re: Roman Imperial Legion vs Orcs - NARAN FANTASY WARS (Fantasy Warriors)
« Reply #1 on: January 10, 2022, 11:45:54 AM »
Some wonderful old Nick Lund models on display there! Thanks for sharing, but 'BOOOO!! HISSS!!' to the result.
'Sir John ejaculated explosively, sitting up in his chair.' ... 'The Black Gang'.

Paul Cubbin Miniature Painter

Offline DivisMal

• Scatterbrained Genius
  • Ghazkull‘s Favorite Brainboy
« Reply #2 on: January 10, 2022, 05:01:06 PM »
I second that! It’s good to see you still playing Fantasy Warriors with its original models.
I always liked the ruleset and regretted that it was never streamlined into a second or third editi. It still has some pretty cool and unique mechanics.

Offline dadlamassu

• Mastermind
    • http://www.morvalearth.co.uk
« Reply #3 on: January 10, 2022, 05:03:04 PM »
Looks like a great game.  I really like your armies.  I have the original rules and many figures!

I have some plastic beastmen from a game that the children played many years ago.  They look like minotaurs with axes and I have thought about using them in an army but should they be Romans or Greeks or something else? 

'He could have lived a risk-free, moneyed life, but he preferred to whittle away his fortune on warfare.'
-- Xenophon, The Anabasis

Offline Tactalvanic

• Mastermind
« Reply #4 on: January 11, 2022, 08:21:41 AM »
Glorious as always, particularly like the "Roman" Minotaur regiment.

Glory of course goes to roam, the Orcs will have to try harder/roll better next time.

Offline LotB

• Scientist
    • NARAN TEAM TURIN
« Reply #5 on: January 11, 2022, 09:33:40 AM »
Some wonderful old Nick Lund models on display there! Thanks for sharing, but 'BOOOO!! HISSS!!' to the result.

Yes, Orcs are old Nick Lund Grenadier miniatures, now produced and sold by Mirliton. Romans are a mix of Black Tree (Infantry & heavy crossbow), Aventine (Cavalry and indian armoured elephant) and Victrix (numidian elephants). Giant elephant is a puppet by Schleich  with homemaid howdah-tower; crew are Victrix with the Aventine mahout.

Offline LotB

• Scientist
    • NARAN TEAM TURIN
« Reply #6 on: January 11, 2022, 09:54:52 AM »
I second that! It’s good to see you still playing Fantasy Warriors with its original models.
I always liked the ruleset and regretted that it was never streamlined into a second or third editi. It still has some pretty cool and unique mechanics.
Yes, unfortunately Mirliton, who took over the rights to the game and the molds of the miniatures, has dedicated himself in a particular way to them, and has done - and is doing - a great job. For the rules he left it to us, who with his permission, we continued our work started in 2000, with the scenario of the fantasy world of Naran and some small "adjustments" and additions to the rules. To the eleven armies lists that Grenadier had produced, we have added many others, also based on "historical" armies from pre-medieval times. With the latest edition (the sixth) we are working on, we have divided the "historical-fantasy" armies of the Men into three ERE: ancient, intermediate, medieval, to avoid clashing an army of the Celts of Vercingetorix, with a medieval one of the type than that of Henry V. Some other fantasy races are present in all three Ages with only one army list (Orcs, Elves, Dwarves, Goblins, Lizarmen, etc.). For the Elves and the Dwarves, considering that they have more medieval armor, as a scenario we have indicated that they appear in the land of Men (Midgard) only from the second Era. This intermediate Age is that of the two Sorcerers. I leave it to you to imagine who they may be. Obviously we have given them two of our names: Saunorassar the Black and Sarbanipal the Red. Greetings.

Offline LotB

• Scientist
    • NARAN TEAM TURIN
« Reply #7 on: January 11, 2022, 10:11:21 AM »
Looks like a great game.  I really like your armies.  I have the original rules and many figures!

I have some plastic beastmen from a game that the children played many years ago.  They look like minotaurs with axes and I have thought about using them in an army but should they be Romans or Greeks or something else? 

Minotaurs similar in type of armament and weapons as yours had been produced by Grenadier and now Mirliton produces and sells them. He put them in the army of Chaos. We have placed them in the army of Arcadia - Volume 3 - Creatures. These are the links that you may be interested in:
Mirliton: https://www.mirliton.it/fantasy-25-28mm/chaos
Naran Team: http://www.naran.it/FantasyWars/Eserciti/Arcadia.htm

The "Roman" Minotaurs that we placed in our Imperial Roman army are (or unfortunately were) of the Ral Partha.
Greetings

Offline LotB

• Scientist
    • NARAN TEAM TURIN
« Reply #8 on: January 11, 2022, 10:15:37 AM »
Glorious as always, particularly like the "Roman" Minotaur regiment.

Glory of course goes to roam, the Orcs will have to try harder/roll better next time.

Unfortunately, as I said in my previous answer, Ral Partha that made them is gone. At the time I had found the nine that I have deployed and I would like some other company to put similar ones into production.

Offline LotB

• Scientist
    • NARAN TEAM TURIN
« Reply #9 on: January 11, 2022, 10:20:36 AM »
For some strange reason, the images I posted are not seen, although when I prepared the post, using the "preview" function they were perfectly visible. Could someone enlighten me?

Offline dadlamassu

• Mastermind
    • http://www.morvalearth.co.uk
« Reply #10 on: January 11, 2022, 11:53:21 AM »
Minotaurs similar in type of armament and weapons as yours had been produced by Grenadier and now Mirliton produces and sells them. He put them in the army of Chaos. We have placed them in the army of Arcadia - Volume 3 - Creatures. These are the links that you may be interested in:
Mirliton: https://www.mirliton.it/fantasy-25-28mm/chaos
Naran Team: http://www.naran.it/FantasyWars/Eserciti/Arcadia.htm

The "Roman" Minotaurs that we placed in our Imperial Roman army are (or unfortunately were) of the Ral Partha.
Greetings

Thanks, I have some of the mirliton minotaurs in one of my armies of Chaos.  Another possible source is Wargames Foundry's Ninoan Minotaurs

Offline LotB

• Scientist
    • NARAN TEAM TURIN
« Reply #11 on: January 11, 2022, 02:28:53 PM »
He Dadlamassu,
Grenadier had put the Minotaurs into production, but we do not know if it had made their profiles to be able to play them in Fantasy Warriors. Stratelibri-Nemo, which had acquired the rights to the game and many of the molds of the miniatures, probably also had those of the Minotaurs, but had not put them into production. Instead, Mirliton did it, taking over the rights and molds from the bankruptcy of Stratelibri-Nemo.
So we made the profile tables and put them in the Naran army of Arcadia, which was inspired in part by watching the movie Narnia.
We put the Minotaurs, Centaurs and other creatures of Greek mythology into it, making the division between the "good" or neutral "ones and the bad ones. For the latter we made another special army book: http://www.naran.it/FantasyWars/Eserciti/Arcadia-Oscura.htm

As per the general rules of Fantasy Warriors , which of course we have preserved, they can be deployed in Allied or Mercenary Commands by other armies, therefore, to answer your question, by both the Greeks and the Romans.

It is possible to use Minotaur miniatures produced by any company, as long as they are mounted on the squares bases of the measures provided in the tables of their profile.

Offline LotB

• Scientist
    • NARAN TEAM TURIN
« Reply #12 on: January 11, 2022, 02:35:40 PM »
I am very happy to see that the images I uploaded have reappeared.
I sincerely thank the Administrator who has done so.
Sincerely,
Sergio (Lord of the Bears)
 :)

Offline LotB

• Scientist
    • NARAN TEAM TURIN
« Reply #13 on: January 11, 2022, 02:58:06 PM »
In this previous battle, played two years ago, fought by the Amazons against the Dark Arcadia, the former deployed the Centaurs, while the latter deployed the Minotaurs:

http://www.naran.it/FantasyWars/Immagini/Battaglie/Amazzoni_ArcadiaOscura_23-11-2020/Battle.html

With the Amazons he fought the intrepid Warrior Princess Áxena, on a war chariot pulled by two Centauresses. Each reference is purely coincidental!
http://www.naran.it/FantasyWars/Immagini/Battaglie/Amazzoni_ArcadiaOscura_23-11-2020/pics/Battaglia_013.jpg

Offline LotB

• Scientist
    • NARAN TEAM TURIN
« Reply #14 on: January 11, 2022, 03:01:32 PM »
Sorry:  "She fought"  ::)