Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 24, 2024, 07:33:29 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Donate

We Appreciate Your Support

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 1690474
  • Total Topics: 118333
  • Online Today: 732
  • Online Ever: 2235
  • (October 29, 2023, 01:32:45 AM)
Users Online

Recent

Author Topic: Civilians for the 1830s  (Read 1537 times)

Offline carlos marighela

• Elder God
  • Flamenguista até morrer.
Civilians for the 1830s
« on: January 19, 2022, 10:09:20 AM »
Thought I would tap the collective mind as to what may exist in terms of armed and unarmed civilians for the 1830s. Not looking for chaps in buckskins or distinctively Spanish costume, these are for a UK setting. That said, I’m not super anal about precise clothing styles as it’s a case of beggars can’t be choosers for something this niche. So suggestions for Napoleonic/ Regency figures or the 1840s work for me.

These are the ones I already know about or already have.

Empress Maori War armed settlers.

Potentially some of the Perry ACW rioters.

Some of the Brigade Games Gangs of New York figures. I’m aware of the B’hoys range that covers similar territory but the sculpts really don’t appeal.

The Front Rank Napoleonic civilians.

Some of the Boot Hill range.

Possibly some of the Trent Irish insurgents.

Can anyone think of any potential sources?

Em dezembro de '81
Botou os ingleses na roda
3 a 0 no Liverpool
Ficou marcado na história
E no Rio não tem outro igual
Só o Flamengo é campeão mundial
E agora seu povo
Pede o mundo de novo

Offline Romark

• Supporting Adventurer
  • Galactic Brain
Re: Civilians for the 1830s
« Reply #1 on: January 19, 2022, 10:27:27 AM »
Have you looked at Ironclad Miniatures,they have several packs of unarmed civilians in their Victorian range that may be of use ? :
Also Wargames Foundry Casting Room Miniatures have house servants,cleaning maids,street urchins and street vendors etc that may be generic enough for you  to consider perhaps ?
 :)
« Last Edit: January 19, 2022, 10:30:52 AM by Romark »

Offline Plynkes

• The Royal Bastard
  • Elder God
  • I killed Mufasa!
    • http://misterplynkes.blogspot.com/
« Reply #2 on: January 19, 2022, 11:15:57 AM »
I would say the Foundry French Revolution, but 1789 is quite far from 1830*, and the figures look a bit like pudgy hobbits. A bit of work and they might do, though.

*Apart from old Liberty herself, of course. That famous painting of the lass represents the 1830 revolution, not the more famous one, so she is spot on, timeline-wise. Not sure how many women were running around Britain with one boob out in the 1830s, mind.

With Cat-Like Tread
Upon our prey we steal...

Offline carlos marighela

• Elder God
« Reply #3 on: January 19, 2022, 11:30:12 AM »
I suspect quite a few come closing time. I’m sure San and Tracey had their 19th C counterparts. If Hogarth is to be believed they certainly had their 18th C counterparts.

Offline v_lazy_dragon

• Mastermind
« Reply #4 on: January 19, 2022, 11:45:30 AM »
Redoubt, Old gory and Company D all do ACW civilians - some of which might work with conversion/squinting. Redoubt also do a vaguely regency lady in their Bodys Bits range and their Napoleonic range has a pack of civilians with some more 'Regency' types (despite being labelled as Spanish)

Westwind Productions do a civilian pack in their Vampire Wars range that has a fairly regency looking Gentleman and a generic lady. some of the vampire hunter sets might work. Their sleepy hollow range is an odd mix - the town militia are mostly in tail coats, but the civilians/town elders all look much more 1700s than 1800s

Artizan Designs have some earlier figures in their VSF range, with assorted top hats, tail caots and britches in some cases.

Some of the Foundry Limited editions are early victorian. One of the christmas packs had a Shell jacket/fatigue capped soldier walking arm in arm with a lady. The 'Come back here Scamp' vignette has a man waving a cane whilst in top hat and tail coat
Xander
Army painters thread: leadadventureforum.com/index.php?topic=56540.msg671536#new
WinterApoc thread: leadadventureforum.com/index.php?topic=50815.0

Offline v_lazy_dragon

• Mastermind
« Reply #5 on: January 19, 2022, 11:50:49 AM »
Further thoughts:
Perry Cape wars has a pack of cape town militia and officers in mixed civilian clothes & uniforms. They also do Boers for the same time period, but they don't look quite as 'English'.

1st Corps do some Cape Wars figures too; not sure on exactly what off the top of my head

Mutineer miniatures and Wargames Foundry do Indian Mutiny civilians

Casting Room miniatures do the 'old New' Foundry range of rioting revolutionary era types, but probably not of too much use as the sculpting is... lacklusture.

Kuckleduster and Brigade do War of 1812 ranges which have militia in civilian clothes packs; some of which may work

Offline Moriarty

• Scientist
« Reply #6 on: January 19, 2022, 05:48:10 PM »
Irregular Miniatures might help.

Offline Etranger

• Mad Scientist
« Reply #7 on: January 20, 2022, 01:23:58 AM »
Eureka? https://www.eurekamin.com.au/index.php?cPath=87_126_138&sort=3a although they look to be later in the Victorian era they might do at a pinch
"It's only a flesh wound...."

Offline carlos marighela

• Elder God
« Reply #8 on: January 20, 2022, 02:44:26 AM »
Eureka? https://www.eurekamin.com.au/index.php?cPath=87_126_138&sort=3a although they look to be later in the Victorian era they might do at a pinch

Yep, converted the two in overcoats for my Canadian Rebellion project already.

Thanks to all, some good tips so far. Keep ‘em coming.

Offline Will Bailie

• Mastermind
    • Will's toy soldier blog
« Reply #9 on: January 20, 2022, 04:11:55 AM »
You mention specifically the Brigade Games Gangs of New York,but if you dig around the BG website there are civilians hidden all over the place, like the scientists/natural philosophers in the Napoleon in Egypt line.  Also, take a look at different sailors from Napoleonic or other Age of Sail eras, there may be some suitable for conversion to civilians.

Offline Emir of Askaristan

• Mastermind
    • My Blog
« Reply #10 on: January 20, 2022, 07:03:04 AM »
Canadian Rebellion eh ....
I'm working on that at the moment. I've used Artizan Alamo, and North Star 1812 and FIW figures in blanket coats for the majority of the militias, but intended fleshing those out with some Perry Cape and ACW Rioters.

Have you got "Guns Across the River- the Battle of the Windmill"?

Offline carlos marighela

• Elder God
« Reply #11 on: January 20, 2022, 11:15:39 AM »
Canadian Rebellion eh ....
I'm working on that at the moment. I've used Artizan Alamo, and North Star 1812 and FIW figures in blanket coats for the majority of the militias, but intended fleshing those out with some Perry Cape and ACW Rioters.

Have you got "Guns Across the River- the Battle of the Windmill"?

Guns Across the River, I have not read but it is on my list. For the Quebecois I’ve used a similar mix but with the Empress, Maori War Europeans and a selection of the Brigade Games mountain men from their Old West range. Most are in blankets/ blanket coats. I also used the BG Canadian militia, which has some useful figures and even a couple of kit bashs of Perry and WF plastics. Quite a few can double as Hunter Patriots but I shall be getting the occasional chap in buckskins simply because that feels more American.

The figures I’m looking for ATM are for a separate project. I always like to get value out of any army with multiple potential opponents and as I have Brits for Canada, Syria etc I thought I would do some home based games. The 1820s and 1830s saw quite a few outbreaks of unrest in the UK.  The Radical War in Scotland in 1820, the Swing Riots of 1830, the Merthyr Rising and of course the Newport Rising in 1839. The latter was set to be the trigger for a wider wave of  Chartist risings country-wide. All in all it seems a rich vein to tap for some Sharpe Practice, ‘trouble at mill’ type scenarios. I should be able to reuse some of my existing stuff but want to add local favour.

On that score the Artizan FOG figures wre winning out so far.

Offline v_lazy_dragon

• Mastermind
« Reply #12 on: January 20, 2022, 11:43:38 AM »
Interesting project thoughts!
The Winter of '79 blog had similar ideas which may be of interest:
http://winterof79.blogspot.com/p/winter-of-1839.html?m=1

Offline Romark

• Supporting Adventurer
  • Galactic Brain
« Reply #13 on: January 20, 2022, 11:47:07 AM »
Have you looked at Emperor Toad's Emporium ,Parisian Mob minis,some of them seem suitable for your project,certainly they come armed with a wide mix of weapons appropriate to a civil unrest type unit?

Offline carlos marighela

• Elder God
« Reply #14 on: January 20, 2022, 11:57:15 AM »
Interesting project thoughts!
The Winter of '79 blog had similar ideas which may be of interest:
http://winterof79.blogspot.com/p/winter-of-1839.html?m=1

Great minds and all that….  :D