Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 24, 2024, 11:39:06 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Donate

We Appreciate Your Support

Recent

Author Topic: Hobby Mojo  (Read 6834 times)

Online Easy E

• Mastermind
  • Just some guy who does stuff
    • Blood and Spectacles
Re: Hobby Mojo
« Reply #15 on: February 03, 2022, 05:26:11 PM »
It's a hobby, not a job.

Unless your hobby is also your job!   :o

I find the hardest part is starting, once you start it all goes much easier.  Typically, this is the hurdle that many folks can not get over.  The second hurdle is not being too fussed about the output, because any output is better than where you started; with nothing.  You can always keep improving the output as you go. 

So, in my book the best way to start writing rules, is to start writing.  The best way to get stuff painted, is to just start painting.  The best way to get your army assembled, just start assembling.  The best way to get photos posted, set-up and start taking photos. 

Once you start the doing, it is much easier to keep it going. 

Support Blood and Spectacles Publishing:
https://www.patreon.com/Bloodandspectaclespublishing

Offline Dr. Zombie

• Scatterbrained Genius
« Reply #16 on: February 03, 2022, 05:57:22 PM »
I have a kind of rule with myself that I spend 30 minutes a day doing hobby. Sometimes i spend it cleaning up, sometimes on painting and sometimes on assembling/priming miniatures. Sometimes I only spend 30 minutes other times it turns into hours. Depending on mojo and actual time available.

I find that once I get into a streak it really helps with the motivation. 30 minutes spent hobbying is still better than none. Even if it is just cleaning your hobby area.

And I try to have several small'ish projects on deck so that I can switch to whatever takes my fancy.

Offline Codsticker

• Supporting Adventurer
  • Scatterbrained Genius
    • Kodsticklerburg: A Mordheim project
« Reply #17 on: February 04, 2022, 02:46:12 AM »
Once you start the doing, it is much easier to keep it going. 
Also very true.

Offline Codsticker

• Supporting Adventurer
  • Scatterbrained Genius
    • Kodsticklerburg: A Mordheim project
« Reply #18 on: February 04, 2022, 02:48:10 AM »
I find that once I get into a streak it really helps with the motivation. 30 minutes spent hobbying is still better than none. Even if it is just cleaning your hobby area.
I find it is really habit forming. Once I get in the habit of sitting down at the hobby desk after dinner, I find myself wandering that unconsciously after a while.

Offline Mindenbrush

• Supporting Adventurer
  • Mastermind
« Reply #19 on: February 04, 2022, 01:15:33 PM »
I hit a ‘lack of interest’ in painting figures in late fall 2021 and I usually put out around 60 figures a month for myself and friends.
After a couple of weeks of being distracted by tv and YouTube, I decided to paint something entirely different, and I really enjoyed it.
This gave me back my desire/need to paint so I always have 4 or 5 figures on the paint table that are different to the majority.
Wargamers do it on a table.
YNWA - It is not a badge, it is a family crest
Montreal Historical Wargaming Club

Offline FifteensAway

• Galactic Brain
« Reply #20 on: February 05, 2022, 08:34:39 AM »
I tried starting a painting club within our local club last year and setting a monthly painting quota and some months a stretch goal.  Worked a treat and painted around 1500 figures last year - but I also had a couple of 'goose egg' months and another month with only 4 figures finished.  But having a long-term goal brought me back to task.  Off to a good start in 2022, 133 figures in January.  Others in the group had much more modest goals but, as a group, we added over 2400 painted figures to our collections last year.  Rule was you could only count figures you painted yourself to be kept in your personal collection.  And had to publicly post progress every month in comparison to goal.  At least three of us had breakthrough years painting more figures in a year than we ever had before.

So, having a long-term set goal can certainly keep up the motivation.

Offline nozza_uk

• Mad Scientist
    • The wargaming world of Nozza
« Reply #21 on: February 06, 2022, 06:55:19 PM »
Thanks for all the suggestions on here.

Following some of the advice, I managed to paint 9 figures this week. Doesn't sound like much, but it's a 900% increase on the previous weeks.

I think I've identified why my mojo has suffered. The various UK lockdowns afforded my a chance to seriously reduce my lead mountain to the stage where it's now a mole hill. However, what's left to paint is the stuff I've continually put off. I need to find some enthusiasm to paint what remains.

Offline Major_Gilbear

• Scatterbrained Genius
  • God-Emperor of Dune
« Reply #22 on: February 06, 2022, 07:03:54 PM »
However, what's left to paint is the stuff I've continually put off. I need to find some enthusiasm to paint what remains.
Or, if you really don't have enthusiasm for it, sell it or trade it for something you fancy more. As Elbows says, it's a hobby not a job, and if those models are not something you want or are going to enjoy painting, why force it? :)

Offline Brutal Cities

• Assistant
    • Brutal Cities Wargaming Architecture
« Reply #23 on: February 07, 2022, 02:32:13 AM »
Didn't do any gaming in January as my opponents either had holidays, work or Covid at some point. So I spent my hobby time getting on with painting and managed to paint 52 figures.

After such a good start I now feel completely unmotivated to pick up a paint brush.

Is it just me or does anyone else find that their hobby mojo rises and falls?

Look up Atomic Habits - Just paint for literally 2 minutes every day, at a set time and it will become very easy - and then automatic!
www.brutalcities.com - Wargaming Architecture

Online Easy E

• Mastermind
  • Just some guy who does stuff
    • Blood and Spectacles
« Reply #24 on: February 07, 2022, 06:23:02 PM »
I tried starting a painting club within our local club last year

Painting socially or with a small group is also really great!  It helps me a lot, even if my small group is mostly via Zoom at the moment. 

Offline syrinx0

• Supporting Adventurer
  • Scatterbrained Genius
« Reply #25 on: February 08, 2022, 05:28:08 AM »
I normally only paint between 100-250 figures a year. 2021 though I finished painting nothing. Health issues, etc sucked my motivation out.  But I built & stocked 3 fish tanks and purged a lot of my unused gaming book collection during the year. 

I have 3 groups of painted figures in progress this month and plans to paint a Star Wars Legion force over the next few months. It definitely ebbs and flows for me.
« Last Edit: March 16, 2022, 12:42:31 AM by syrinx0 »
2024: B: 2220; P: 148; 2023: B:77; P:37;

Offline zrunelord

• Mastermind
    • Picts from the Front
« Reply #26 on: February 13, 2022, 06:52:26 PM »

Mine is all fits & starts & depends on muse which sometimes as all have said is fickle.
But when I don't feel like doing anything I prime/undercoat models or whole armies / squads. That way they'll be ready when needed.
Obviously you have to plan on the colour scheme so as to prime in white, grey or black or sometimes red or terracotta .

Z
http://castrarunis.blogspot.com/

Imagine & you can.
Most see shapes you must see possibilities.
Z

Offline Digits

• Scatterbrained Genius
« Reply #27 on: February 13, 2022, 06:59:29 PM »
Unfortunately I have FAR to many of those primed and based minis sitting awaiting a brush!

Great advice on here.    Personally, nothing motivates like escalation.   Try and get in some games, then motivate by adding better and more kick ass stuff to the table.

As has also been said, go with the flow.   If something leaks your interest, go with it for so long as it lasts.  Ok, I’m the first to admit, I have rather a few unfinished projects because if it, but every now and then, I get an urge to go back and add to them.
« Last Edit: February 13, 2022, 07:01:39 PM by Digits »

Offline zrunelord

• Mastermind
    • Picts from the Front
« Reply #28 on: February 13, 2022, 09:05:07 PM »
Also.... I always try to discover ways to paint quickly... i know easier said then done, and I don't mean dipping ... that absolutely does nothing for me.

I try painting 10 minis at a time, 1 colour the whole 10 at a time. Using washes, contrast , zenithal spray.. or whatever tickles my fancy... it may seem daunting & boring but it works for me.

Progress urges me to work... just staring at models doesn't.   ( and I stare at my lead mountain frequently ) ;) :D :D :D

Z
« Last Edit: February 14, 2022, 07:04:09 AM by zrunelord »

Offline mmcv

• Librarian
« Reply #29 on: February 14, 2022, 03:49:19 PM »
I hit a bit of a slump myself in December and January. Just couldn't really get motivated by any of it. Ended up spending time on other interests for a bit then took tentative steps back into it the past few weeks. Been finding motivation for my usual ongoing projects lacking so picked up something completely different and just started working through it. I've no finished that so test will be if next time I sit at the painting desk am I ready for my old projects again..