Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 26, 2024, 12:35:23 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Donate

We Appreciate Your Support

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 1690718
  • Total Topics: 118343
  • Online Today: 839
  • Online Ever: 2235
  • (October 29, 2023, 01:32:45 AM)
Users Online

Recent

Author Topic: Burgundian and Swiss Medieval banners  (Read 4694 times)

Offline Atheling

• Elder God
    • Just Add Water Wargaming Blog
Re: Burgundian and Swiss Medieval banners
« Reply #15 on: April 18, 2022, 09:04:51 AM »
Poulppy these are great, thanks for sharing.
Do you make these by hand or use a program? I ask this because Iwant to try making wargame flags myself.

Agreed. I have been collecting Poulppy's banners as they have been produced. Good quality stuff and easily saved on my laptop :)

Atheling also thanks for the link

I was honour bound to share really. It's such an amazing resource and so very few people know about it's existence!

Offline GulKelan

• Librarian
« Reply #16 on: May 26, 2022, 04:45:06 PM »
Does someone know where to get good quality swiss flags apart from Petes Flags (which i defenatly gonna get aswell)?
« Last Edit: May 26, 2022, 04:50:18 PM by GulKelan »

Offline painterman

• Mad Scientist
    • le lay emprins
« Reply #17 on: May 27, 2022, 09:54:25 PM »
Hi
Have a look at Flags of War for 15th century Swiss...
https://www.flagsofwar.com/collections/swiss

cheers

Offline Atheling

• Elder God
« Reply #18 on: May 27, 2022, 10:38:31 PM »
Hi
Have a look at Flags of War for 15th century Swiss...
https://www.flagsofwar.com/collections/swiss

cheers

+1 for Flags of War. A great choice.

Also, try Pete's Flags, he sells vie ebay but produces excellent banners, standards etc:

28mm Medieval Renaissance Flags Swiss 1Commanders Flags (1)

28mm Medieval Renaissance Flags Swiss 2

Offline dreadpiratethomas

• Lurker
« Reply #19 on: May 29, 2022, 09:45:03 AM »
it's relatively straightforward to make your own. Im not sure how well known this is, but most wikipedia articles on historical figures from the period include arms, flags, etc in the right hand side of the article (see https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/First_Battle_of_St_Albans) as an example. each of these little emblems is a full fledged .svg format vector graphic, which can be individually downloaded, and because it's a vector, be resized / re scaled without losing resolution. the individual components of the emblems like the lions, fleurs de lys, stars, etc can also be removed, recombined, recoloured, copied across to a new image like a banner instead of a shield, and so on.

Offline Atheling

• Elder God
« Reply #20 on: May 29, 2022, 10:55:25 AM »
it's relatively straightforward to make your own. Im not sure how well known this is, but most wikipedia articles on historical figures from the period include arms, flags, etc in the right hand side of the article (see https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/First_Battle_of_St_Albans) as an example. each of these little emblems is a full fledged .svg format vector graphic, which can be individually downloaded, and because it's a vector, be resized / re scaled without losing resolution. the individual components of the emblems like the lions, fleurs de lys, stars, etc can also be removed, recombined, recoloured, copied across to a new image like a banner instead of a shield, and so on.

Do you have a simple "how to" please in this regard. I'm hopeless with It skills including Photoshop. I'm using Photoshop Elements but could also download GIMP is that's any better?

A step by step would not only be brilliant for me but help out as lot of people :)

Offline duc de limbourg

• Scientist
  • aldegarde.blogspot.com
« Reply #21 on: May 29, 2022, 12:40:58 PM »
yes please,
I just downloaded GIMP but it is abracadabra to me  :-[

Or is there a tutorial somewhere on the web?

Offline Charlie_

• Mastermind
« Reply #22 on: May 29, 2022, 01:05:08 PM »
I also make my own using GIMP.

A great source for heraldry is the wappenwiki site https://wappenwiki.org/index.php?title=Main_Page
Though they all come in shield form rather than flag form...
But you can get a huge array of individual charges to use if you are going to cut and paste https://wappenwiki.org/index.php?title=Charges_A-E

Re-arranging them into a square flag shape can sometimes be very easy (for example if it's just a single charge on a plain field you just need to copy the charge onto a square image)... but sometimes very complicated (quartered designs and those with an escutcheon in the middle).

I'm leaning GIMP as I go, and the more complex ones do have me scratching my head alot, but eventually I work it out.

They can of course easily be recoloured - if you are using a low quality image as a source then re-filling the colours won't work so well.

And then for a finishing touch I've developed my own method of getting the 'ripples', which I'm very pleased with, and can give an exact guide on how to do it on GIMP if anyone wants it. But you'll have to get the actual flag image you want before we can do that!

Here's an example of a one of mine.

Offline emosbur

• Mad Scientist
    • A COVA DO TRASNO
« Reply #23 on: June 14, 2022, 10:48:40 PM »
Guys, have you seen this?

Milo.