Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 29, 2024, 08:39:01 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Donate

We Appreciate Your Support

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 1686625
  • Total Topics: 118115
  • Online Today: 777
  • Online Ever: 2235
  • (October 29, 2023, 12:32:45 AM)
Users Online

Recent

Author Topic: Fear of the Dark project  (Read 2124 times)

Offline Drdjangomango

• Schoolboy
Fear of the Dark project
« on: February 13, 2022, 01:27:30 PM »
So after a long hiatus from the hobby (think since being a teenager in the 90s!)  ,some extra time at home during covid and stumbling across some old paints in the loft that I'd kept from that time, I decided to get back into mini painting. Got the fear of the dark ruleset just as the first thing I stumbled across to give me some inspiration and focus and started to paint up some investigators from artisan miniatures. Well it's been well over a year as I'd forgotten how much time you need to bring these
 things to fruition but I've managed to get some minis painted for the Mother's Love scenario (plus assemble terrain etc.). Not made it to the table yet but I've enjoyed the process which was always the draw as a teenager for me. So here's my first attempt at posting some pics and now fully appreciate the quality of what so many do on here to get decent photos. Clearly I have some reading to do on lighting and depth of focus but that's eating into the scarcity that is hobby time! Here we have investigators led by Captain Withnail (ex army - discharged following breakdown after witnessing unspeakable horror) and his Uncle Professor Montague facing off the cthonion and cultists.

Offline Rhubarb633

• Assistant
    • My Blog - Two Rounds Rapid (Toast, tea and table-top wargaming)
Re: Fear of the Dark project
« Reply #1 on: February 13, 2022, 02:59:01 PM »
Welcome back to the hobby! They look great. Love the beetle-browed expression on the Prof. Full of character.
"I was hoping for a battle of wits, but you appear to be unarmed"

Offline diehard

• Mad Scientist
« Reply #2 on: February 13, 2022, 03:24:29 PM »
Great to see another return to the miniature hobby in general and Cthulhu in specific. It's been way to quiet here and on the Strange Aeons sub forum. Hoping for a physical copy of Fear of the Dark but have heard a lot of positive comments about it, am a Strange Aeons player myself also recently returned after a long break due to cataracts. Your brushwork is top notch, on both the investigators and the cultists and Cthonian, am a big fan of purple on them, always struck me as an unearthly color. Looking forward to following your progress and thanks for sharing.
We haul ours to kick theirs.

Offline Drdjangomango

• Schoolboy
« Reply #3 on: February 13, 2022, 04:02:45 PM »
Great to see another return to the miniature hobby in general and Cthulhu in specific. It's been way to quiet here and on the Strange Aeons sub forum. Hoping for a physical copy of Fear of the Dark but have heard a lot of positive comments about it, am a Strange Aeons player myself also recently returned after a long break due to cataracts. Your brushwork is top notch, on both the investigators and the cultists and Cthonian, am a big fan of purple on them, always struck me as an unearthly color. Looking forward to following your progress and thanks for sharing.

Cheers and agreed if red is the colour of satanic cultists then purple is definitely the colour of those who follow malevolent tentacled things!

Was just looking at strange aeons this morning - have downloaded the 2nd edition demo. Been looking for an excuse to get some fish people as massive fan of the whole innsmouth mythos so this may be it.

Offline diehard

• Mad Scientist
« Reply #4 on: February 13, 2022, 05:44:19 PM »
Ah a man after my own heart. Am also a big fan of the Dagonites and they are going to be a major faction in my games, you can never have too many fishmen I say. And there's now a wide variety of Deep Ones and Hybrids from a number of manufacturers out there. Now that I'm down to the last remaining pieces of the SA Kickstarter I can see myself expanding on my Esoteric Order of Dagon. Is one of my favorite stories too, can't even guess how many times I've re-read it. And as far as Strange Aeons goes the second edition covers almost all of HPL's menaces. And with the Solo Deck you don't even need an opponent. As I start expanding my scenery collection I will be checking it out in detail shortly.

Offline diehard

• Mad Scientist
« Reply #5 on: February 13, 2022, 05:52:43 PM »
And if you check out my "Return to Strange Aeons" thread on the sub forum you can get a decent look at Uncle Mike's Worldwide although he hasn't been active here for a while the web site was still up and running last time I looked.

Offline Golgotha

• Scatterbrained Genius
    • BMC Miniatures - All things wargame related.
« Reply #6 on: February 13, 2022, 08:11:51 PM »
Welcome back to the hobby. Love the minis. Especially the portly chap. Given your title I think a musical interlude is also in order:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bePCRKGUwAY&ab_channel=IronMaiden-Topic

lol

Offline Sterling Moose

• Scatterbrained Genius
« Reply #7 on: February 13, 2022, 10:20:41 PM »
Nice, welcome back to the Mythos!
'I saw the angel in the marble and carved until I set him free.'

Offline Grumpy Gnome

• Galactic Brain
    • The Grumpy Gnome
« Reply #8 on: February 14, 2022, 12:54:02 AM »
Good looking minis, lots of character and a great color palette!
Home of the Grumpy Gnome

https://thegrumpygnome.home.blog/

Offline tereydavi

• Librarian
« Reply #9 on: February 14, 2022, 09:38:16 AM »
Thats an awesome warband (I really like artizan miniatures as they have a lot of character), I have the same cultists but painted in a White scheme, I like how they look painted in purple, and that Mansion of Madness cthonian is top (I had MoM but I sold It... Now I regret selling It).

Apart from that, we see a lot of great terrain in the back, so It seems that It's going to be a great looking Game.

Hope you like the Game, but if It helped you to get back to this hobby I am more than Happy.
Fear of the Dark skirmish wargame blog (rules, scenarios, general articles...)

https://fearofthedarkskirmishwargame.blogspot.com/

Offline Drdjangomango

• Schoolboy
« Reply #10 on: February 14, 2022, 08:32:17 PM »
Thanks for all the positive feedback. It will certainly spur me to continue my interest in the hobby - my wife always looks a bit non plussed when I show her my creations!

Yes had the mansions of madness pretty much unopened in the box in the loft and it will be a source of some miniatures for Lovecraft adventures in the future. Feel although the quality of the sculpts isn't great (especially the investigator characters) , they don't look too bad when rebased. If I can find the time I'd really like to write some of my own scenarios using the shoggoths. I like the choose your own adventure aspect of fear of the dark and would be interested in where you could take this especially with decisions made within the skirmish element which would change the course of the game.