Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 29, 2024, 06:28:38 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Donate

We Appreciate Your Support

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 1686613
  • Total Topics: 118113
  • Online Today: 762
  • Online Ever: 2235
  • (October 29, 2023, 12:32:45 AM)
Users Online

Recent

Author Topic: Flag problems- War of 1812 and Brunswick Hussars  (Read 1115 times)

Offline vodkafan

• Scatterbrained Genius
Flag problems- War of 1812 and Brunswick Hussars
« on: February 14, 2022, 08:31:32 AM »
I have made some units up without checking first whether I could get flags for them.
First up is the Brunswick Hussars in British service in the Peninsular.  I have a mounted standard bearer but can't find any reference to a flag in my (admittedly meagre) reference books.

The second is for the War of 1812.  The 10th Royal Veterans Battalion. I have a unit made up with two standard bearers. However after checking on the internet I am not even sure that the Veteran Battalions (formerly Garrison and Invalid Battalions) were ever given colours.

Can anyone help with information?
The two companies I usually get flags from (Flags of War and GMB) don't have anything listed.
I am going to build a wargames army, a big beautiful wargames army, and Mexico is going to pay for it.

2019 Painting Challenge :
figures bought: 500+
figures painted: 57
9 vehicles painted
4 terrain pieces scratchbuilt

Offline Old Contemptable

• Librarian
Re: Flag problems- War of 1812 and Brunswick Hussars
« Reply #1 on: February 14, 2022, 08:50:05 AM »
Try Maverick Flags if they don't have it they can custom make it for you. I had an AWI flag made for me and it was very reasonable. If you know what the flags look like. They would need an image of some kind.

http://www.maverick-models.com/flags.htm

« Last Edit: February 14, 2022, 08:51:53 AM by Old Contemptable »

Offline vodkafan

• Scatterbrained Genius
« Reply #2 on: February 14, 2022, 09:54:50 AM »
Thanks Old Contemptible. I might well have to make something up so that would be an option to make it more professional looking.

Offline Digits

• Scatterbrained Genius
« Reply #3 on: February 14, 2022, 10:07:13 AM »
Thanks for that link, I’ve never heard of Maverick.  I’ve been looking for an Anhalt flag for ever! Lol. Will give them a try.

Offline sepoy1857

• Mastermind
  • Wherever Duty Calls...
    • The Devil's Wind
« Reply #4 on: February 15, 2022, 01:12:29 AM »
The second is for the War of 1812.  The 10th Royal Veterans Battalion. I have a unit made up with two standard bearers. However after checking on the internet I am not even sure that the Veteran Battalions (formerly Garrison and Invalid Battalions) were ever given colours.

Can anyone help with information?
The two companies I usually get flags from (Flags of War and GMB) don't have anything listed.
I doubt they had Colours with them as they were only a detachment. I think something like 30-50 men if I'm not mistaken. Very small numbers anyway.It was the same thing with most units in the War of 1812 down in this area anyway. Even the local Militia here the Essex Militia, and Kent Militia anyway deployed mostly just the Flank Companies.
All The Best
Scott Dallimore
Kent-Essex Gaming Society
http://kent-essexgaming.ca/

Offline IronDuke596

• Librarian
« Reply #5 on: February 15, 2022, 02:22:18 AM »
According to Keith Over's Flags and Standards of the Napoleonic Wars, p 30. The Brunswick cavalry along with the Leib battalion and the Avant Guard did not carry colours.

The 10th Royal Veteran Battalion did have colours. A remnant of the center of the regimental colour is shown in a black and white photograph on page 184 of "A Scarlet Coat: Uniforms, Flags and Equipment of the British in the War of 1812" by Rene Chartrand, Service Publications, 2011.  In the center of the regimental colour is a red circle outlined in a thin white border.  Within the circle  are four lines of text consisting of an X on top, ROYAL below, VETERAN below royal, and BATTALION on the bottom. The colour of the text is likely dark blue as per their facings. This circle is surrounded by the standard union wreath of roses, thistles and shamrocks common to most regimental colours. The main flag colour was dark blue as per the facings with a Union Jack in the upper left canton.

It is likely that the King's colour was in conformity with that of the line infantry with blue facings.  So, the flag is probably a Union Jack with the regimental red circle in the center with surrounding wreath as per the regimental colour.

I can confirm that Stuart at Maverick Models is very helpful in creating published or unpublished flags. He has created many superb American militia flags for my Battle of New Orleans project.

Let us know your progress and good luck.

Offline vodkafan

• Scatterbrained Genius
« Reply #6 on: February 15, 2022, 12:45:59 PM »
I doubt they had Colours with them as they were only a detachment. I think something like 30-50 men if I'm not mistaken. Very small numbers anyway.It was the same thing with most units in the War of 1812 down in this area anyway. Even the local Militia here the Essex Militia, and Kent Militia anyway deployed mostly just the Flank Companies.

Thanks sepoy1857. The company-sized detachments are something that lends itself well to Rebels and Patriots rules for this conflict- I can have a company each of this and that and don't have to have whole battalions. With the 10th veterans the mix of figures I had meant that I HAD to use the two standard bearers unfortunately.

Offline vodkafan

• Scatterbrained Genius
« Reply #7 on: February 15, 2022, 12:50:20 PM »
IronDuke many thanks for that info. I will substitute the Hussar's flag stick for a sword and the 10th Veteran information is great, much more than I expected to get.

Offline Baron von Wreckedoften

• Mad Scientist
« Reply #8 on: February 16, 2022, 04:51:37 PM »
Having done a lot of research on the Black Brunswickers (1809, 1810-14 and 1815 variants) I can confirm the earlier poster who said no colours for the hussars.  In fact, the only elements of the Schwarze Schar who ever carried colours were the 1st, 2nd and 3rd Line Battalions in 1815 - no other units in any of the three iterations ever did so.
No plan survives first contact with the dice.

Offline vodkafan

• Scatterbrained Genius
« Reply #9 on: February 17, 2022, 12:46:47 AM »
Thanks for the confirmation Baron that makes things a lot easier for me regarding my Brunswick units. I can concentrate on working on the 1812 flags I need.