Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 28, 2024, 06:03:32 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Donate

We Appreciate Your Support

Recent

Author Topic: Help with Middle Eastern/Arabic flesh tones for Saladin and warriors  (Read 1706 times)

Offline Johnny Boy

• Scientist
  • The Older I get the better I was.. . . .
Morning all, I'm dipping my toe into the Crusades as an extension of The Baron's War(Long Story ::) and getting some figures for both sides. So I was wondering the best paints to use for the hues and tones of Saladin and his armies. I have all the foundry flesh triads but little else in the way of anything other than Caucasian in other brands. I was looking at the Scale 75 set if anyone has experience with it? It appears to have several shades so may be the way forward. Other than that I prefer to paint in Triads so any suggestions or tips would be much appreciated.
Many thanks in advance
JB

Offline pws

• Scientist
    • Pippoweb hobby blog
Re: Help with Middle Eastern/Arabic flesh tones for Saladin and warriors
« Reply #1 on: March 02, 2022, 10:38:13 AM »
I'm not the best photographer, I know, but I hope it can helps:
http://pippoweb.blogspot.com/2021/08/al-andalus-cavalry-23.html
AND
http://pippoweb.blogspot.com/2021/07/al-andalus-infantry-13.html

My goal was to acheive a colorful look without having an "harlequin army". A limited palette for each unit and same colors in most of  common items like: leather, wood, metal, simple fabric, etc For the flash tone mainly: Vallejo game color Tan 72066, wash brown, highlight base+ivory/off-white.

Even the shields are simple variation of a design: star, hand, calligraphy. Some more variation for cavarly were usually you should find the wealthier people.
Same thing I did with spanish/crusader: http://pippoweb.blogspot.com/2021/10/al-andalus-el-cid-33.html

Planning and limited palette are the keys  :D
Ciao
« Last Edit: March 02, 2022, 06:05:12 PM by pws »
Per aspera ad astra
pippoweb.blogspot.it

Online Cubs

• Galactic Brain
  • "I simply cannot survive without beauty ..."
« Reply #2 on: March 02, 2022, 11:23:03 AM »
For flesh tones, I generally don't go much darker (if at all) than European flesh if painting Mediterranean or Middle Eastern skin, but use a palette based around a brown base and midtone as opposed to peachy shades. Obviously if you want deeper skin colour you can do that as well, since Islamic armies had a lot of troops from a lot of different regions and of course, people's skin shades differ a lot anyway within the same ethnic group.

I've not used the Scale 75 stuff, but as an example, if I was buying a 3-stage set of paints to use as Arabic flesh, I would probably buy Endurance Brown (base), Wild Beast (mid) and Human Flesh (highlight). This is how my flesh recipe looks on a Bad Squiddo Amazon (although this is a 6-stage flesh tone, with deeper base and lighter highlights, but the principle is the same). See how the skin isn't dark, but you can tell it's not a NW Europe peach skintone, more like a cafe au lait shade.

'Sir John ejaculated explosively, sitting up in his chair.' ... 'The Black Gang'.

Paul Cubbin Miniature Painter

Offline Johnny Boy

• Scientist
  • The Older I get the better I was.. . . .
« Reply #3 on: March 04, 2022, 04:51:49 PM »
Many thanks to you both and apologies for the tardy reply. Life really does get in the way sometimes!! That's a really good point of getting away from the NW European tone so you don't have to go particularly dark and thanks for the pointers in Scale 75, the more I use them the more I like them.