Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 19, 2024, 02:30:00 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Donate

We Appreciate Your Support

Recent

Author Topic: primer keeps coming off  (Read 1739 times)

Offline miniature55

• Lurker
primer keeps coming off
« on: March 02, 2022, 07:09:37 PM »
every time i get my metal miniature i clean and wash them with soapy water then i prime them with Army Painter spray primer and it all ways comes of does any one know if they's a better primer ?

Offline beefcake

• Galactic Brain
Re: primer keeps coming off
« Reply #1 on: March 02, 2022, 07:12:12 PM »
That's odd. I use army painter all the time and it sticks fine.
How soon does it come off?
I assume you rinse thoroughly after the soapy water. (To be honest, I never wash my metal minis)

Offline vexillia

• Mad Scientist
    • Vexillia
« Reply #2 on: March 02, 2022, 08:24:29 PM »

Offline Tadgie

• Bookworm
  • Too many projects. Too little time.
« Reply #3 on: March 02, 2022, 09:38:06 PM »
If it helps I use car primer (normally the grey but I have other colours as well) from Halfords in the uk and never had any problems with resin plastic or metal. I also don’t wash my metal prior to undercoating. Hope you get sorted.
« Last Edit: March 02, 2022, 09:41:08 PM by Tadgie »

Offline Storm Wolf

• Mad Scientist
« Reply #4 on: March 02, 2022, 09:42:30 PM »
Hi I have also used both halfords and army painter primers with no problems and never wash plastic or metal minis, but I do wash and rinse resin items.

Wonder what is going with yours? But I never spray primer in the winter, unless it is a bright and very dry day thats not too cold.

Good luck with yours

Glen
Only the insane have strength enough to prosper. Only those who prosper may truly judge what is sane.

Offline SotF

• Mad Scientist
  • Shadow Of The Future
« Reply #5 on: March 03, 2022, 04:18:56 AM »
every time i get my metal miniature i clean and wash them with soapy water then i prime them with Army Painter spray primer and it all ways comes of does any one know if they's a better primer ?

While this might be just unsaid, after washing them, rinse them to make sure you get all the soap off, and let them fully dry before painting.

If that doesn't work, you might want to try something other than soap to wash because they might have something else there, iso being one of the major options that tends to work rather well for it.

Offline miniature55

• Lurker
« Reply #6 on: March 03, 2022, 03:57:06 PM »
That's odd. I use army painter all the time and it sticks fine.
How soon does it come off?
I assume you rinse thoroughly after the soapy water. (To be honest, I never wash my metal minis)
i prime it and then leave it to dry for an hour then i put on a coat of vallejo and leave it when i come back after it drys i'm about to put on some more paint and it just starts coming of mainly on the edges.

Offline Citizen Sade

• Supporting Adventurer
  • Mad Scientist
« Reply #7 on: March 03, 2022, 04:07:11 PM »
FWI, I always leave undercoat to dry for at least 24 hours. I suggest you try that and see if you still have any problems.

Offline The Voivod

• Mad Scientist
« Reply #8 on: March 03, 2022, 04:10:43 PM »
Might still be some residue of something on the model. Maybe even just the soap?
Maybe give it a final cleaning with some Isopropanol?
I find this removes just about anything, while leaving models of any material (that I've tested so far) unharmed.
'Mercy? I am far to brave to grant you mercy.'

Offline Mick_in_Switzerland

• Supporting Adventurer
  • Scatterbrained Genius
« Reply #9 on: March 03, 2022, 04:16:05 PM »
I stopped using spray primer and switched to using black artists acrylic Gesso applied with a brush.

It works very well and I actually find it quicker than spraying.

Offline Digits

• Scatterbrained Genius
« Reply #10 on: March 03, 2022, 05:46:49 PM »
I don’t even use Halfords primer…I just go straight to their Matt black….sticks well to metal minis.    I leave it a couple of hours then paint on it no problem.

I just got used to painting on black base and worry thst if I used a grey primer, I’d still want to spray black and possibly loose a little detail.

Offline ced1106

• Mad Scientist
« Reply #11 on: March 14, 2022, 12:43:26 AM »
Brushed-on colored airbrush primer. Skips not only the spray part, but you have a head start on basecoating.

Otherwise, spray car primer. I read that hardware primer is better than hobby because hobby spray cans can sit around the hobby store shelves for a long time, while car primer doesn't stay on the hardware stores long. Krylon makes a flat brown camouflage primer. I find, for generic fantasy miniatures, brown then black to be mostly used, particularly on wood terrain and grubby monsters...
Crimson Scales with Wildspire Miniatures thread on Reaper!
https://forum.reapermini.com/index.php?/topic/103935-wildspire-miniatures-thread/

Offline DS615

• Scientist
    • Fandango Alpha
« Reply #12 on: March 14, 2022, 01:08:51 PM »
While this might be just unsaid, after washing them, rinse them to make sure you get all the soap off, and let them fully dry before painting.

Absent any other data, I too would suspect that the soap is remaining on the figure.
Try priming one or a few without washing them first, see if that sticks. 
Unless something happened to them, I don't wash metal miniatures at all before priming.
- Scott

Offline DeRuyter

• Bookworm
« Reply #13 on: March 15, 2022, 07:22:01 PM »
Just to add to others here - I never wash a metal miniature or plastic for that matter. I have used a variety of spray primer from the cheap DIY store stuff to Army Painter and GW. The only trouble I have had is down to bad weather conditions or operator error, ie; spraying too much or too close. 

Offline Dr. Zombie

• Scatterbrained Genius
« Reply #14 on: March 15, 2022, 07:25:50 PM »
I have never not had any problems with Army painter sprays. One thing is that they need to be shaken a lot of a lot. And when you think you must have surely shaken it enough. Shake it a lot once more.