Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 19, 2024, 07:28:41 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Donate

We Appreciate Your Support

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 1689627
  • Total Topics: 118288
  • Online Today: 681
  • Online Ever: 2235
  • (October 29, 2023, 01:32:45 AM)
Users Online

Recent

Author Topic: Battle of France 1940 with What a Tanker Scenario  (Read 761 times)

Offline Morin84

• Scientist
    • Life, Golf, Miniatures, & Other Distractions
Battle of France 1940 with What a Tanker Scenario
« on: March 10, 2022, 12:02:05 AM »
Here's the post on the 2nd game I ran at TotalCon 36 - The Battle of France, May June 1940 for What a Tanker

https://markamorin.com/2022/03/09/battle-report-battle-of-france-may-june-1940-what-a-tanker-totalcon-36-chapter-2/

Offline SJWi

• Mastermind
Re: Battle of France 1940 with What a Tanker Scenario
« Reply #1 on: March 10, 2022, 06:46:13 AM »
Morin, nice looking game and excellent write up. I may even borrow/steal your ideas . We play "pure" WAT but have added "dummies" to give some "fog of war".  A couple of questions about the card deck. I presume from what you say they are randomly drawn when purchased?  Secondly, I presume cards such as "A/T support" are played in much the same way as a standard card from the WAT Tanker Deck ie the player can choose where to use it? Finally, do the cards need to be used when drawn or can they be held for more than one turn?.

Thanks   

Offline Morin84

• Scientist
    • Life, Golf, Miniatures, & Other Distractions
Re: Battle of France 1940 with What a Tanker Scenario
« Reply #2 on: March 10, 2022, 06:17:16 PM »
Morin, nice looking game and excellent write up. I may even borrow/steal your ideas . We play "pure" WAT but have added "dummies" to give some "fog of war".  A couple of questions about the card deck. I presume from what you say they are randomly drawn when purchased?  Secondly, I presume cards such as "A/T support" are played in much the same way as a standard card from the WAT Tanker Deck ie the player can choose where to use it? Finally, do the cards need to be used when drawn or can they be held for more than one turn?.

Thanks   

I appreciate the kind words.  I like pure WaT too but at a convention with newbies I found that play needed speeding up.  Hence I have each player roll a D12 for activation - with the banking of a 6 worth +2 (the math is the same as using a single D6 but eliminates a lot of initiative rerolls).  I also allow conversion of a single die to a MOVE if on the road.

As for the cards, yes, they are random purchases at the beginning of a turn, not during the turn.  I do allow a team to distribute them after purchase as they see fit, but with the limitations per vehicle that I described.  If a vehicle is destroyed that has unused cards, the team can redistribute them if limits allow, otherwise they are lost.  The cards can only be used by the player when his vehicle is activated.  If the card is "kinetic", i.e. an attack of some kind or the firing of smoke, the player/vehicle with the card can play it as long as the intended user has an ACQUIRE and an AIM on the target.  FIRE or RELOAD are not needed to use the card.  The player then has to roll a 6 (with modifications such as adding +1 for a small vehicle for example) to hit.  If a hit occurs, then strike and armor rolls are made.  If there is a kill with a card, I do not award a kill ring.  The used card is then returned to the GM and not added back to the deck.  If the card is more logistical in nature, it can be played at anytime during the activated player's turn.  There is no requirement to play a card - and it can be held until needed.  But other than if a vehicle is destroyed with unplayed cards, I do not allow swapping of cards between vehicles after they are distributed post-purchase.  As they cost Tanker Bucks, there are risks involved in their purchase - you might not get the card you want, or you might get knocked out before you can use them.  I hope this helps?