Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 25, 2024, 07:40:41 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Donate

We Appreciate Your Support

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 1690601
  • Total Topics: 118339
  • Online Today: 866
  • Online Ever: 2235
  • (October 29, 2023, 01:32:45 AM)
Users Online

Recent

Author Topic: Getting started in Boshin War, Test of Honour style!  (Read 1575 times)

Offline tehlulzpare

• Lurker
Getting started in Boshin War, Test of Honour style!
« on: March 31, 2022, 09:05:38 PM »
Good evening all, first post on Lead Adventure's. I've been lurking around for years, taking in great hobby content. It's inspiring stuff, really!

I was thinking about a project I could feature here, something worthwhile and interesting. And after my friend convinced me to play Test of Honour, my thoughts immediately turned to the Edo Period and the end of the Tokugawa Shogunate, and the early days of the Meiji Restoration.

My first game!

An epic duel in the alleyway!

After finding Bac Ninh Miniatures, and doing a small test order to gauge the time it would take to get to Canada and also to see the models in person, I am now going in full bore. I'm going to start with a small Bakufu force, and over time add Shogunate troops like Shinsengumi, Hoheigumi, Denshutai etc. I want to to keep the "feel" of Test of Honour though, as my games with that system feel just like a Samurai movie. I'm not going for strict historical accuracy, more a sentimental homage to the feel of the period, hitting the right notes but not always adhering to the historical record.

I'm starting with these Aizu Domain soldiers, which I will probably paint as more generic Bakufu infantry that are not the cream of the crop. For Test of Honour, these will be fielded in small numbers, supporting the Shinsengumi I will order later! I don't see any need to alter the game overly much at this point; a poorly trained soldier with a musket is probably going to be similar in loading speed to a Sengoku period Ashigaru with a similar weapon, and probably just as accurate. The later troops will be more skilled and better equipped, so they will need some homebrew work.

The officers and characters here will need some cool rules too! Pistols will need to be added as a new weapon type I would imagine.

Finally, as for painting them...I will admit as a history nerd I probably should dislike the movie, but The Last Samurai does things to me. I know its faults, but it at least introduced me to the period as a child, so it holds a place in my heart. The early Imperial Army in the movie was my favourite force, its mix of old and new very appealing to me. Copying that paint scheme isn't the worst idea either; it's close to the Bakufu of the Shogunate, and also gives anyone I play this with immediate visual recognition.

I tend to be better motivated to paint things if I'm documenting it on the internet, so here we are. I do maintain a blog, and this stuff will be carried over there. I wouldn't mind if you guys took a peek, nothing Japanese there yet but give it time haha. I'm finally glad to be contributing something as opposed to just being inspired by others. I hope you'll have me!

And thanks again to Bac Ninh Miniatures! I said I would post here, and I have. I am very happy with the figures, and you'll be getting another order very shortly!

https://notbystrengthbyguile.ca/2022/03/31/test-of-honour-edo-style-wargaming-the-boshin-war/

« Last Edit: March 31, 2022, 10:10:50 PM by tehlulzpare »

Offline commissarmoody

• Galactic Brain
    • Moodys Adventures
Re: Getting started in Boshin War, Test of Honour style!
« Reply #1 on: April 01, 2022, 12:09:15 PM »
Always love the transitional eras of history and warfare.
Might i suggest checking out he movies Red Lion, When the Last Sword Is Drawn, and some of the Shinsengumi movies.  :D

"Peace" is that brief, glorious moment in history when everybody stands around reloading.

- Anonymous

Offline tehlulzpare

• Lurker
« Reply #2 on: April 01, 2022, 05:48:35 PM »
Oh most definitely do recommend! When the Last Sword is Drawn was on the list, but the others I have yet to hear of. Very excited to get more samurai cinema in.

Which is weird, because I never had much interest in it before. This game, lemme tell ya haha.

Offline commissarmoody

• Galactic Brain
    • Moodys Adventures
« Reply #3 on: April 02, 2022, 11:38:29 AM »
You might like the yojimbo, the Zatoichi the blind swords men series of tv shows and movies.