Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 25, 2024, 12:17:25 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Donate

We Appreciate Your Support

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 1690581
  • Total Topics: 118338
  • Online Today: 698
  • Online Ever: 2235
  • (October 29, 2023, 01:32:45 AM)
Users Online

Recent

Author Topic: DAK attack  (Read 2663 times)

Offline Poiter50

• Scatterbrained Genius
DAK attack
« on: April 06, 2022, 07:55:32 AM »
Anyone seen any reports of this new rule set? My LRDG and SAS are itching to see the table.
Cheers,
Poiter50

Offline Tibson

• Bookworm
Re: DAK attack
« Reply #1 on: January 25, 2023, 06:58:36 PM »
It's 10 months on.  Anyone have something to share on this?

Offline Johnny Boy

• Scientist
  • The Older I get the better I was.. . . .
« Reply #2 on: February 06, 2023, 08:53:56 PM »
Bought the rule set, got all the figures you could want, mostly painted. .   . But time is the one thing I haven't had and I'd be most interested as well to hear of other people's views on this.

Offline Thargor

• Mastermind
« Reply #3 on: February 10, 2023, 11:17:47 PM »
I've got the rules and am in the process of getting minis together.  It's my project for this year.  I'll also be able to use some infantry minis and the DAK vehicles for O2 Hundred Hours.

Offline Ivan DBA

• Bookworm
« Reply #4 on: February 12, 2023, 04:11:47 AM »
Same here, I’ve got the rules and am working on painting everything.  I’m doing it in 15mm, using mostly OOP Battlefront miniatures.  I had most of them stashed already in the lead mountain, and I got very lucky finding LRDG trucks.

Here is my DAK platoon.

Offline carlos marighela

• Elder God
  • Flamenguista até morrer.
« Reply #5 on: February 12, 2023, 10:28:07 AM »
Always amazed me that nobody has gone with Dakked.

Dakked, War in the Desert. Don't get caught with your pants down!

I suppose the Australian market isn't big enough.
Em dezembro de '81
Botou os ingleses na roda
3 a 0 no Liverpool
Ficou marcado na história
E no Rio não tem outro igual
Só o Flamengo é campeão mundial
E agora seu povo
Pede o mundo de novo

Offline Thargor

• Mastermind
« Reply #6 on: February 12, 2023, 04:49:41 PM »
Nice work Ivan DBA.

I'm going for 28mm so that I can use the minis for other games I have as well.  I have the DAK infantry, 3x Chevy 30cwt trucks and a jeep, all unbuilt at the moment.

Offline BeneathALeadMountain

• Mad Scientist
« Reply #7 on: February 12, 2023, 06:48:23 PM »
I’ve totally missed this! Whilst I don’t have the SAS/LRDG part (I have minis to convert and will to buy more :D) I do already have a goodly assortment of DAK and Italians to fight. Can anyone give me a better understanding of the system? What vehicles are needed etc? Ah I’ve just found this helpful page https://www.tabletopgaming.co.uk/features/wargaming-scenario-desert-dump-attack-an-lrdg-scenario-using-dak-att/

From which I found…..

VEHICLES & FIGURES:
For the LRDG half patrol, as I described, you will need two Jeeps and Four trucks with crew plus half a dozen figures on foot. An essential part of the game is the Axis (German or Italian) patrol consisting of an armoured car such as the German Sdkfz 222 or Italian Autoblinda AS 42 along with a couple of motorcycles and a Kubelwagon or Italian equivalent. Minimally three squads of infantry each of ten figures including a machine gun team of three figures. Other vehicles or planes along with fuel dumps are used purely as targets for the LRDG to destroy.

Nice platoon Ivan I like the basing/palette colour choice.

Balm
« Last Edit: February 12, 2023, 07:07:51 PM by BeneathALeadMountain »
Beneath A Lead Mountain - my blog of hobby procrastination and sometimes even some progress
https://beneathaleadmountain.blogspot.com/

Offline Ivan DBA

• Bookworm
« Reply #8 on: February 13, 2023, 03:35:11 AM »
Thanks guys, appreciate the compliments! 

Balm: Although I haven't played a game yet, from having read the rules a couple times, I think that description of the basic figure requirements is pretty good. 

Personally, I'm going to build an LRDG patrol with two Ford Pilot cars, and four Chevy trucks.  I really should be using two jeeps instead of the Fords, but I like the Fords and I have them already...

For those of you who, like me, are completists, here is my count of all the Axis equipment/units/terrain you need for all of the scenarios.  You don't need all of this for a one-off game.  You would only need all of this if you plan to play every single scenario! 

Axis Units:
DAK Platoon (with three squads each with a NCO with a submachine gun, an LMG team (three guys), and six rifleman; also a single lieutenant in command)- 1
Armored Car (SdKfz 222) - 1
Motorcycles with MG - 2
Kubelwagen with MG- 1
Trucks - 6
Staff car - 1
Planes (ideally including 1 Storch reconnaissance plane) - 4
Panzers - 4
Pilot and Staff officer on foot   1

Terrain/Scenery:
Small Buildings - 4
Large Building - 1
Fuel Dumps - 4
Scrub & Rocks - assorted
Oasis - 1
Railroad tracks with a "y" split- 1
Security Fence - 1

I have put each of these in rough order of how often you need them.  For example, you need a DAK Platoon in nearly all of the scenarios; but the pilot and staff officer only appear in one scenario, IIRC.  Hope this is useful to someone!
« Last Edit: February 13, 2023, 03:42:11 AM by Ivan DBA »

Offline BeneathALeadMountain

• Mad Scientist
« Reply #9 on: February 13, 2023, 03:57:48 AM »
Thank you Ivan; that’s not that bad - I have most of the opposition/scenery already so tempting if the ruleset’s price wasn’t quite so high (it’s not unreasonable just another ruleset!). I shall have to find a video/AAR demonstrating play to see if it’s to my taste.

Looking forward to your progress,

Balm

Offline Ivan DBA

• Bookworm
« Reply #10 on: February 14, 2023, 12:39:59 PM »
I found a YouTube review of the game, which includes a short battle report.  Worth a look, and it has some inspiring shots of painted minis.

Offline Ivan DBA

• Bookworm
« Reply #11 on: March 18, 2023, 11:58:54 PM »
FYI, Miniature Wargames Magazine No. 480 has a short article about DAK Attack.  The best parts are some inspiring photos, and some thoughtful comments, such as adapting the campaign cards to other settings, and on using smaller scale planes (the author uses 1/72 scale planes in his 1/56 (28mm) games).  I was a bit disappointed that there was no battle report, new scenario, or anything like that.