Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 28, 2024, 09:14:23 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Donate

We Appreciate Your Support

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 1686446
  • Total Topics: 118100
  • Online Today: 811
  • Online Ever: 2235
  • (October 29, 2023, 12:32:45 AM)
Users Online

Recent

Author Topic: 28mm Italian Risorgimento Project  (Read 2052 times)

Offline Yarkshire Gamer

• Mad Scientist
  • Yarkshire Gamer
    • Yarkshire Gamer
28mm Italian Risorgimento Project
« on: April 16, 2022, 07:45:49 AM »

https://yarkshiregamer.blogspot.com/2022/04/28mm-italian-risorgimento-project.html

I've been working on my 28mm Italian Risorgimento Project for about 4 months now and it's starting to look a bit like an army now so I thought it would be an idea to put a progress report together.

I'm just under a third of the way through the build for my intended Battle of Mentana display game (hoping for October this year as a target). There's lots to do and lots of figures to find and painting to do, full details on the blog link above.

Regards Ken
The Yarkshire Gamer
"Glittering prizes and endless compromises,  shatter the illusion of integrity"
http://yarkshiregamer.blogspot.co.uk

Offline Old Contemptable

• Librarian
Re: 28mm Italian Risorgimento Project
« Reply #1 on: April 16, 2022, 07:54:28 AM »
Love it! What a great project. Look forward to more progress reports. A few of these look like ACW figures. Are you using any FPW figures. Great idea if you are.

Offline Yarkshire Gamer

• Mad Scientist
  • Yarkshire Gamer
    • Yarkshire Gamer
« Reply #2 on: April 16, 2022, 09:11:57 AM »
Love it! What a great project. Look forward to more progress reports. A few of these look like ACW figures. Are you using any FPW figures. Great idea if you are.

I go into it a bit on the blog post, there are very few figures for the period especially if you have trouble getting figures from Italy so there has to be an element of improvisation if you want specific units, it was like being back in the 80s again  lol

Regards Ken
The Yarkshire Gamer

Offline Donkeymilkman

• Bookworm
« Reply #3 on: April 16, 2022, 04:43:39 PM »
What a lovely project. Something I've wanted to do for a while. Will have to use this as inspiration. The Papal Zouaves look great!
I have nothing important to say so just keep on scrolling.

Offline italwars

• Mastermind
« Reply #4 on: April 16, 2022, 06:26:49 PM »
I was following your project since last year ..now with many other beautiful painted minis and an Italian type rural house is even better !
To finish what you ll need for Mentana is a long job..I’m pursuing that project from more than 20 years 😹
You ll need very broken terrain, a castle and quite a few other minis including a French column
By the way I’m experimented the same import orders issues from UK ..really bad .but contrary to my needs , in UK, you could find almost everything you ll need among British firms ..for example, in addition to the coming Perry plastic  FPW French for the French line infantry you could fill gaps of the pontifical army with some specific types from the Foundry Mexican Adventure range ..the French infantry in short tunic and havelock is perfect for the Pontifical “foreign carabinieri “ , for the “cacciatori   a Piedi “ and above all for  the  essential “ Antibes Legion”.

Offline Yarkshire Gamer

• Mad Scientist
  • Yarkshire Gamer
    • Yarkshire Gamer
« Reply #5 on: April 17, 2022, 02:38:19 AM »
I was following your project since last year ..now with many other beautiful painted minis and an Italian type rural house is even better !
To finish what you ll need for Mentana is a long job..I’m pursuing that project from more than 20 years 😹
You ll need very broken terrain, a castle and quite a few other minis including a French column
By the way I’m experimented the same import orders issues from UK ..really bad .but contrary to my needs , in UK, you could find almost everything you ll need among British firms ..for example, in addition to the coming Perry plastic  FPW French for the French line infantry you could fill gaps of the pontifical army with some specific types from the Foundry Mexican Adventure range ..the French infantry in short tunic and havelock is perfect for the Pontifical “foreign carabinieri “ , for the “cacciatori   a Piedi “ and above all for  the  essential “ Antibes Legion”.

Many thanks, I am nearly a third of the way through the figures in just short of 3 months so my October target is there or there abouts.

I have all the figures for the Papal forces primed and ready to go including some lovely Dragoons from Gringo 40s and some Foundry French for the remaining none Zouave units. As for the French as I say in the blog post I am just waiting for the Perrys to release their plastic figures, although I do have the one unit of Chasseur a Pied from the metal range.

Terrain wise have some great pictures of the Convent and the Vigna Santucci which will be custom builds as will the town itself, but that worry is for later, I'm getting the figures done first.

This is a relatively small project for me but it looks great and is a really unusual subject (in the UK)  so I hope the display game generates some interest when complete.

Regards Ken
The Yarkshire Gamer

Offline Old Contemptable

• Librarian
« Reply #6 on: April 17, 2022, 07:10:47 AM »
What rules?

Offline Yarkshire Gamer

• Mad Scientist
  • Yarkshire Gamer
    • Yarkshire Gamer
« Reply #7 on: April 17, 2022, 07:26:24 AM »
What rules?

Absolutely no idea at the moment !

I'm always pretty rule agnostic and build armies so they look right for me and then look for rules. There is an Italian language set called Garibaldi all’attacco that I am trying to get my hands on other than that I might look at something like Picketts Charge and see if I can Italian them up  lol

Regards Ken
The Yarkshire Gamer

Offline Old Contemptable

• Librarian

Offline Sunjester

• Mastermind
« Reply #9 on: April 17, 2022, 10:00:57 AM »
Absolutely stunning! A fascinatong period to game (I chickened out and did it in 6mm!).

Offline Yarkshire Gamer

• Mad Scientist
  • Yarkshire Gamer
    • Yarkshire Gamer
« Reply #10 on: April 17, 2022, 12:41:34 PM »
I found them.

https://boardgamegeek.com/boardgame/341644/garibaldini-allattacco

Cheers, unfortunately I've found them as well and contacted the publishers directly, they went away to get a postage price to the UK and never came back to me.

I think I scared them  lol

Regards Ken
The Yarkshire Gamer

Offline italwars

• Mastermind
« Reply #11 on: April 17, 2022, 02:17:38 PM »
Absolutely no idea at the moment !

I'm always pretty rule agnostic and build armies so they look right for me and then look for rules. There is an Italian language set called Garibaldi all’attacco that I am trying to get my hands on other than that I might look at something like Picketts Charge and see if I can Italian them up  lol

Regards Ken
The Yarkshire Gamer
me too i'm almost "rule agnostic "for the only 19 c. battle played recently, ( (Neapolitans Vs Red Shirts) , we succesfully used an amended Featherstone simple old school type rule set

anyway even if i don't own a copy of the mentioned rule systhem  i know that approach ..avoid it!....as everything made in Italy..i'm talkiing about wargame (but not only :-)   too much abstract, confusional, culturalistic and unpractical..and i would even say unfriendly..it's sufficient to amend a UK produced rulesysthem by giving a plus one or two to every unit lead by Garibaldi himself ..which was nt the case at Mentana cause the "great man" hid for most of the battle then escaped the battlefield living alone part of his men..then  plus factor and superior range for the French Chassepot BL rifles..a plus for Zouaves and the possiblity for at least half unit for each one to deploy in open order..the Pontifical Artillery was well lead and efficient the Garibaldi one the opposite..more than half of the red shirts were of poor morale and training...some ones were almost fanatic as they resisted in the castle until the next day even if the battle had been already lost....the Foreign carabinieri, the Antibes Legion and  cacciatori were average, the artillery and Zouaves good while the dragoons were probably poor..the agreement, for political reasons, between the French command and the Pontifical one was that the French column would enter into action only when and if the Pontifical would experiment any serious difficulties during the battle.
enjoy your great project
« Last Edit: April 17, 2022, 02:38:17 PM by italwars »

Offline bulldogger2000

• Scientist
« Reply #12 on: April 17, 2022, 05:41:02 PM »
GORGEOUS!

Offline Grumpy Gnome

• Galactic Brain
    • The Grumpy Gnome
« Reply #13 on: April 17, 2022, 06:10:12 PM »
Great looking force!
Home of the Grumpy Gnome

https://thegrumpygnome.home.blog/

Offline Bloggard

• Scatterbrained Genius
« Reply #14 on: April 18, 2022, 10:14:31 AM »
wonderful painting, scenics and ... photos!