Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 27, 2024, 11:25:07 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Donate

We Appreciate Your Support

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 1690847
  • Total Topics: 118356
  • Online Today: 861
  • Online Ever: 2235
  • (October 29, 2023, 01:32:45 AM)
Users Online

Recent

Author Topic: What's your favorite rules set for regimental level ACW?  (Read 2285 times)

Offline Dukewilliam

• Bookworm
What's your favorite rules set for regimental level ACW?
« on: April 18, 2022, 08:24:34 PM »
As the title states: what's your favorite rules set for playing regimental level ACW games? I used to have F&F but found it too rules intense for the outcomes. I'd like something that plays relatively fast, without too many modifiers and too many mnemonic devices cluttering up the battlefield. I hate when every unit has dice, pipe cleaners, etc... following them around, though it is not necessarily a deal breaker if the rules are good enough.

Am I asking too much?

Your thoughts please. What's your favorite rules set?

Patiently,
Steve

Offline Old Contemptable

• Librarian
Re: What's your favorite rules set for regimental level ACW?
« Reply #1 on: April 18, 2022, 10:57:11 PM »
We use "Mr. Lincoln's War" they are simple and gives a good game.

https://onmilitarymatters.com/product/1-72720

Some pics of our MLW games.

https://www.flickr.com/photos/59568506@N02/collections/72157720410732823/
« Last Edit: April 18, 2022, 10:59:03 PM by Old Contemptable »

Offline FifteensAway

• Galactic Brain
« Reply #2 on: April 19, 2022, 01:40:07 AM »
Used to be Johnny Reb 2 but that became tedious, tried F&F and way too wonky.  Settled on Rank and File, more the basic version than the ACW version - easy to learn, fast to play, gets to results, and can conclude a fairly good sized game in a couple of hours.  And lends well to multi-player games.

Friends who love F&F play maybe two or three turns in all day slogs where I could run a complete ACW multi-division game, clear the table and set up and AWI game and run a good portion of it before they can finish a game without getting anywhere near a conclusion.  Don't know why it has such die hard adherents - but it does have them.

For Rank and File the most oft heard complaint is it doesn't allow command radius type stuff - a fair observation but not too hard to cobble something on.  The rules are highly flexible and easily adjusted without breaking them.  Or you can just use the ACW addition which does have it.

Offline Old Contemptable

• Librarian
« Reply #3 on: April 19, 2022, 04:12:10 AM »
We played JR2 for years, then tried JR3. We were tired of the unusual basing scheme and the charges that were too drawn out. It got old. Every game was like you had never played before. Then we switch to MLW and never looked back. Granted we made our own modifications to our taste.

Offline Old Contemptable

• Librarian
« Reply #4 on: April 19, 2022, 04:14:33 AM »
We use 15mm because of the size of games we like to play. Big battles or parts of big battles. 28mm has too much of a footprint which limits the size of games you can do.

Offline Old Contemptable

• Librarian
« Reply #5 on: April 19, 2022, 04:21:18 AM »
If you want to get rid of clutter then MLW might not be for you. Like JR it requires the use of order markers and we use pipe cleaners. I hate clutter too, but I don't know how you get around that.
« Last Edit: April 19, 2022, 04:23:17 AM by Old Contemptable »

Offline Redshank

• Librarian
« Reply #6 on: April 19, 2022, 08:31:17 AM »
Bonnie Blue Flag by Kevin Calder came out in 2017 and is aimed at regimental level ACW. I have never played but there are some reviews knocking around online.

The basic idea seems to be you roll against a unit's percentile score when the unit is tested, e.g. it comes under fire. If you fail the throw, the unit acquires "attrition" and can retreat or rout. The rules are short - only about 20 well-spaced B5 pages (then examples, scenarios etc.). You could probably easily run it off the QRS. In case it is any use as a reference, it reminds me a lot of the simple percentile-based rules in Donald Featherstone's Lost Tales.

The reviews and AARs suggest it is fast playing. There are no particular basing requirements, although there are suggestions. In terms of clutter, the author recommends placing a tiny d6 next to each unit to record its attrition level, but you could keep a separate record card instead I suppose.

Like I say, I've never tried it, but I thought I would throw it into the mix.

Offline Golgotha

• Scatterbrained Genius
    • BMC Miniatures - All things wargame related.
« Reply #7 on: April 19, 2022, 09:57:07 AM »
Rank and File is a good call - provides a fun game. Has anyone tried "They Couldn’t Hit an Elephant" - Too Fat Lardies? or for that matter "Battle Cry"?

Certainly, still looking for a set of rules I can settle on... I probably have a few other sets than those suggested below but would need to look - I do remember playing one set which I vowed to never try again but can't recall the name.

ACW Rules I have tried include,, note many of these would not fulfill the regimental distinction:

Also see here for a bigger version of the below: https://frictionbmcminiatures.blogspot.com/search/label/ACW

« Last Edit: April 19, 2022, 10:08:03 AM by Golgotha »

Offline Frostie

• Mad Scientist
« Reply #8 on: April 19, 2022, 10:41:37 AM »
Black Powder with Glory Hallelujah supliment

Offline vexillia

• Mad Scientist
    • Vexillia
« Reply #9 on: April 19, 2022, 10:56:28 AM »
There's "Rebels & Yankees" which is designed to be quick and it's free:

Introduction
===
Rebels and Yankees has been designed to introduce new players to wargaming during the American Civil War, 1861-65. Consequently, the rules do not attempt a detailed simulation rather they look to give a flavour of this exciting period. It is hoped that the game will also provide more experienced wargamers with a simple, enjoyable, and more relaxed game without the complexities associated with match play rules. The rules are designed to use with any scale of models. To play the games all you need are a few six sided dice numbered one to six, model soldiers for both sides, terrain to represent the chosen battlefield and a ruler. Depending on the size of the forces involved and once familiar with the rules, you should be able to complete a game in about two to three hours.

Game Scale
===
In wargaming there is usually a link between the real-world representation in ground scale and several men. Rebel and Yankees uses 1 base width (BW) to equal 40 yds with 80 men deployed in two ranks. Several bases would make up a regiment unit depending on the regiments size. Base Widths (BW) are used also in the game for movement and range distances. Where players wish to use figures instead of the bases. If that is the case, then for distances use an inch instead of a base width. Calculate dice on number of figures in the front rank instead of the number of bases. For 15mm a base would be around 40mm and in 25/28mm a base width would be around 60mm.

http://www.quickplayrules.com/RebelsAndYankees

Offline Golgotha

• Scatterbrained Genius
« Reply #10 on: April 19, 2022, 05:03:14 PM »
That is a great find Vexillia I see they have a number of free rules available and also a channel on Youtube see: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCLuqlmCWWVODRQUEvMHb7XA/videos

Offline SteveBurt

• Mastermind
« Reply #11 on: April 19, 2022, 08:32:46 PM »
Longstreet is very good, and plays fast. Works well for historical battles too

Offline Golgotha

• Scatterbrained Genius
« Reply #12 on: April 19, 2022, 11:46:22 PM »
Longstreet sounds interesting. Some interesting ideas here https://boardgamegeek.com/thread/2738438/american-civil-war-game-suggestions
« Last Edit: April 20, 2022, 08:26:04 AM by Golgotha »

Offline bluewillow

• Scatterbrained Genius
  • Bluewillow- Matthew Williamson
« Reply #13 on: April 20, 2022, 04:08:31 AM »
I am a Jonny Reb 3 fan, although the charge sequence is over complex. I really like the seesawing effect the rules produce and I feel they reproduce an ACW battle very well.

I have also used Fire and Fury Regimental and Black powder.

cheers
Matt

Offline CapnJim

• Scatterbrained Genius
  • Gainfully unemployed and lovng it!
« Reply #14 on: April 22, 2022, 07:44:53 PM »
My gaming group really likes Gettysburg Soldiers.  Simple, fun-to-play, and markers are really needed to play the game.

"Remember - Incoming Fire Has the Right-of-Way"